Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International travel this summer.. I need me holidays..

• 12-03-2021 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Anyone have any plans to travel this summer internationally? Leo just mentioned no international travel this summer.... I would expect most EU countries will require a negative test, anti bodies or proof of vaccine and then a quarantine when you return to Ireland. It seems all negative but what are peoples thoughts? Will we be advised not to go but still technically allowed go for non essential purposes or will they be stricter this summer than last? Also the option to fly from Belfast.. Anyway I can't be the only one wondering. What are people thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Had to reschedule lasts years planned holiday to France and have all but written off plans to go this year

I think anyone expecting to travel to mainland Europe before September won't find it straighforward, if even possible

It's not even certain at the moment the extent to which hospitality will be operating here. Indoor eating may not even be an option for months to come or indeed when intercounty travel will be permitted

At best travel outside the country will be discouraged IMO and if anything we could see tighter restrictions than last summer but it's too early to call and the situation is currently too fluid to guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I’m hoping to get to Thailand in late November.

This is based on me getting a vaccination by then, and international travel being allowed.

I won’t be going if I have to quarantine at either end or if I have to pay extra for any tests.

I have it in my head that I won’t get away, so if I do it’ll be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Topps wrote: »
    Anyone have any plans to travel this summer internationally? Leo just mentioned no international travel this summer....

Couldn't care less what Leaky says...

International travel will happen this year, will be a lot more complicated than last year with the different rates countries are vaccinating...

However Airlines and Hotels will have many special offers, even with the threat of a €500 fine for leaving your own country to holiday it's still going to be better value to go abroad..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    However Airlines and Hotels will have many special offers, even with the threat of a €500 fine for leaving your own country to holiday it's still going to be better value to go abroad..

Fines are increasing to 2k and it's per person and can be charged each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Caranica wrote: »
    Fines are increasing to 2k and it's per person and can be charged each way.

I still don’t see how it can be charged each way. Fined for non essential travel on the way out fine. The way you are going home, that’s essential in my book.

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I still don’t see how it can be charged each way. Fined for non essential travel on the way out fine. The way you are going home, that’s essential in my book.

First one is to the airport, second one is non essential travel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/over-370-people-fined-going-to-or-from-dublin-airport-for-trips-abroad-in-a-week-1.4477372

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I'd like to see the statistics on how many fines were actually paid. Issuing fines is one thing but actually enforcing them is entirely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Bit pricy but Seychelles are open for business :)
    https://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/africa-indian-ocean/seychelles-to-fully-open-borders-march-25-regardless-vaccination-status
    Once people who live there are vaccinated, tourists welcome (regardless of vaccinated status)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Doesn’t say people were fined twice though - right? Hopefully it passes or else the winner will be Belfast in July

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Deseras

I would not worry about fines worry about death and killing your family

The AZD1222 vaccine against COVID-19 has an only efficacy of 63.09% against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection. Vs modena or phizer 83%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Fines won't work.
    The only thing that will is mandatory quarantine on return from everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'd like to see the statistics on how many fines were actually paid. Issuing fines is one thing but actually enforcing them is entirely different.

I doubt many of the 80 fined for the traveller funeral in Leitrim will pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I’m hoping to get to Thailand in late November.

This is based on me getting a vaccination by then, and international travel being allowed.

I won’t be going if I have to quarantine at either end or if I have to pay extra for any tests.

I have it in my head that I won’t get away, so if I do it’ll be a bonus.
    Thailand is open now.You are required by Thai gov to sign up to their racing app,ideally before travel.But try getting out of Dublin as other posters say.Mick and Leo will give in to pressure and do an xmas repeat and bo....x to the summer travel(or Sept)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm thinking August all EU travel open to us, October US travel open. The entire adult population of this country will be vaccinated by July/August.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Doesn’t say people were fined twice though - right? Hopefully it passes or else the winner will be Belfast in July

Did you miss the bit about patrols at the border

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

I wonder would one be jailed for non-payment of these fines...... I’d very much doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I'm thinking August all EU travel open to us, October US travel open. The entire adult population of this country will be vaccinated by July/August.

Not sure what to do regarding USA travel. A holiday was booked for myself and my wife last year for this October. Briefly reading through the terms and conditions there would be a cancellation fee but it's not extortionate. How long would people give before cancelling ? The airlines involved are American airlines and British airways. Both of us are in good health so the last for vaccine I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Had to cancel our US trip last year and withthe eldest turning 18 in December I'm keen we at least have one more proper family holiday. But it's unlikely it'll be a proper one so maybe a F1 race if we can get tickets late in the year, or a pre-Christmas trip to markets somewhere.
    I'm even prepared to have a UK holiday in July if circumstances permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Planning USA travel in November. That's 8 months away. If we can't travel by then things are really going bad. Gotta assume travel from October on is more likely than unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Belfast is a long drive but I have family there and if the nonsense continues here I will be looking into flights from NI.

• Advertisement

Ironically people like you are the reason "this nonsense" continues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Did you miss the bit about patrols at the border

Did you miss the bit about core EU principle, "Freedom of movement?" Does that not mean anything to you? And did you also miss the bit about how progressive people in EU leadership, no less than president Ursula Van der Leyen, are pushing for vaccination passports in order to ensure such democratic rights will continue?

acequion wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit about core EU principle, "Freedom of movement?" Does that not mean anything to you? And did you also miss the bit about how progressive people in EU leadership, no less than president Ursula Van der Leyen, are pushing for vaccination passports in order to ensure such democratic rights will continue?

I was referring to the border with Northern Ireland, which is not in the EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I was referring to the border with Northern Ireland, which is not in the EU!

Fine is only €100 - well worth it to fly from Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Bunch of selfish *****

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Bunch of selfish *****

I presume this is a windup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I presume this is a windup?

Why would it be a wind up?

People have been asked not to travel, people here are discussing travelling and openly accepting whatever fine may be received etc

Its selfish and exactly how the different variants have been spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

openly accepting whatever fine may be received etc

Not everyone in the thread is.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Why would it be a wind up?

People have been asked not to travel, people here are discussing travelling and openly accepting whatever fine may be received etc

Its selfish and exactly how the different variants have been spread.

People here have been asked to do a lot of stuff during this pandemic, some of which make zero sense from a virus suppression perspective (5km limits for example.). Just because 'the experts' ask us to do something doesn't mean we cannot ignore their requests and instead use our own judgement and make our own risk-based decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dr.Dre

People are going to travel regardless of whatever 'fines' are being issued

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone here received a fine or know of anyone who has been fined?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement