Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chickens

2»

Comments

We have an eight foot wire mesh fence with a net over the top and the hen house inside. The wire is also a foot under the ground. We let the hens out of the run in the day (after 11 am usually) and shut them in the run at night (when they’ve roosted before dark). It’s really if we go away for a weekend or a couple days that the run comes in handy as you can set up an autofeeder and make sure there is water and they’ll be alright while you’re away.

The only thing I’d worry about is that a fox can dig under so you might need to do something to combat that.

The cover on top is great. A fox got in our enclosure before we got the net on top. F*cker climbed up a pallet that had been left against the fence for a day and got out by using the roof of the hen house.

Agree with @FileNotFound a dog outside with the hens seems to work well if free ranging. I always feed them once a day with a call ‘ chook chook’. That way they’ll come to you looking for food if you call them and you’ll get them into the run if you need to whenever. I only use the auto feeder if I’m away,

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxxx17

The electric bird net is just what you need. You can move it freely and it simply plugs into the battery. Food is needed for all your animals of course. And a large room.

@godtabh You can kill chickens or livestock for your own consumption and that of your immediate family. As we had a cockerel until this spring we had chickens that hatched last spring and we raised the hens to keep as layers and killled the males for meat. We had eggs in the winter from the hens that hatched too. In my opinion it’s better than buying chicken at the shop but the plucking is the killer. They were delicious though and had a damn good life scratching about free to roam eating organic feed from Robins Glen. No food miles or plastic wrapping.

Hopefully we’ll be able to do the same again next year. ☺️ The OH has some plan for a plucking machine. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

No but seen them called flimsy by a few who have. You'd be better getting a handy man to build a few poultry panels and use a top net, handy to move around if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

So I have three hens and unfortunately, we're doing a renovation on the house and need to be out for 2.5-3 months with no / very, very limited access (no side entrance)

Being practical about it, this means we have to give the little guys up. About 2 years old, still laying (2-3 eggs per day).

Anyone know of how I can get these to a good home?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 havana21

When you get your chicken coop make sure it’s not to hard to move bcz they mess up the ground and need fresh ground to graze so moveable coup a must

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Watch out for minks. Foxes are one problem, but if you're near water... Minks can be a disaster.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Can chickens manage for 5-6 days without care?

We have access to land but it's a distance away which means we only get to it at weekends.

Do chickens require feed even if in a 1 acre field?

I would have an electric fence and coop with automatic door.

You would need to be checking them more often than every week. They won't eat or drink the same amount every day.

They can also get injured and need attention.

Eggs also need to be collected

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think all livestock should be checked at least once daily, including chucks. Their lodgings need to be cleaned, and as already noted, eggs need to be collected, the perimeter needs to be checked and the general welfare of the birds needs to be monitored.... hens tend to go downhill very quickly when things go wrong. They can get through water and food astonishingly quickly too.

So, no matter what species you have, they need to be checked much more regularly than just at weekends. Have you someone reliable who could look in on them for you?

Advertisement