Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defense Forces - Models ASAP Help needed!!

• 07-11-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

my father has served in the defense forces all his life and his hobby is models( quite impressive talent at it). he has display cases in his man cave aka shed of all his work but nothing irish army related. I love to get something along these lines for him for Christmas. Can anyone point me in the right direction, any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Hello Armybrat.

Are you looking for a radio control, flying model or a static model. I have a hunch it's static, just checking.

I've not been around the model game for some time now and just getting back into it.

You might have a hard time finding some Irish model kits as the market in Ireland probably isn't large enough to justify mass production from the bigger operators.

All I can say is that I Norman in Green Hobby Model. Was very well informed when I used to deal with him many moons ago. You could give him a shout and see if he can give you a steer. He used to frequent this forum a long time ago, not sure if he still does.

Out of curiosity, what kind of models would you be interested in?

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

As you mention display cases, it's probably static models we are talking about, so if it's aircraft he favours there are aftermarket decal kits in all scales available to customise stock models. If you want to get him a model of an aircraft type which served in the Irish Army Air Corps you will have to do a little research to ensure, first, that you purchase the correct variant, and second that you buy the correct style of decals to apply to this.
    Probably best to research the available decals first, to identify an aircraft type to buy.
    The same goes for vehicles etc., the Army used many types of vehicles and some AFV's bought from the UK, especially during the period 1942-1945 of which models are available, although I'm not so sure about Irish Army decals for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

There is a Fouga Magister available from Airfix with Irish Air Corps marking. I have made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

cml387 wrote: »
    There is a Fouga Magister available from Airfix with Irish Air Corps marking. I have made it.

There's an even better one in the larger 1/48 scale from AvantGarde Kits that's widely available online, and while it doesn't include Irish Air Corps decals, they can be easily got from an Irish supplier called Max Decals for a reasonable price. Makes up into an impressive model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You could try the Protac shop on the Curragh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Get onto the Defense Force Community Facebook page and ask there

Over the years I have seen several posting photos and details of Irish Defense Force themed models. Some are scratch built - not from kits but some are modified or stock kit builds
    ( p.s I sm not a modeller so know very little about this )

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vulcan01

Advertisement