31-08-2019, 10:40   #4156
JCX BXC

What you also need to remember is that during proper hot easterlies the west gets the calmest, sunniest and hottest weather.
Advertisement
31-08-2019, 12:02   #4157

Was sunny for a while earlier now clouded over and showers. It’s also very breezy and fresh.
31-08-2019, 12:09   #4158
pauldry

Doesnt look like Athenry is going to reach 300mm now

Only 286mm up to now

Needs 14mm today.

Prob only 4mm

Still new record....bar Lough Eske
31-08-2019, 12:18   #4159
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post

Only 286mm up to now

Needs 14mm today.

Prob only 4mm

It’s 299.8mm last I counted Paul counting the rain since midnight.

EDIT: I counted again and it's now 299.9mm.

Last edited by sryanbruen; 31-08-2019 at 12:23.
Thanks from:
31-08-2019, 12:30   #4160
Donegal Storm

Torrential rain in Letterkenny.
Advertisement
31-08-2019, 12:33   #4161
Tigerandahalf

Lovely day in the west after a washout all day yesterday. Sitting out and it is lovely and warm once the sun stays out. Odd heavy shower but they are infrequent.
31-08-2019, 12:56   #4162
Xenji

Bright and blustery in Castlebar, and thankfully it has been dry since 09.00 after about 30 hours straight of rain.

And just like that it starts to rain again.
31-08-2019, 13:38   #4163
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
I used to always give the west a lot of crap but going to Donegal for the first time in a long while, my opinion changed dramatically. The period I went was apparently one of the better ones up there this summer but even then, it was blustery with a good few rain showers. If that was one of the better periods this summer weather wise, sorry but I don’t think I could live in the west. Magnificent landscapes and eye candy for photographers or those who crave scenery but weather... really is a no-no. I hope to be going every once in a while in future to see the rest of it though and the weather will not stop me because it was one of my best experiences I have had in my life.
The climate of the west is far more complex. Donegal is far more exposed to the Atlantic winds that we are here in inland Connacht for example and not really comparable at all.

As great a place Dublin is, and as great as the people are, I would find the weather there to be an even more boring version of what we have on this side of the island, and I don't think I could handle that too well given that I can barely handle the mediocrity here as it is.
Thanks from:
31-08-2019, 13:46   #4164
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
As great a place Dublin is
I don’t actually find Dublin a great place, quite the opposite to be honest with it needing a makeover but that’s a discussion for another forum . Weather wise, I guess I’ll make a better judgement on the west overall when I go to others in future and compare with reports I’ve seen.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-08-2019, 14:01   #4165
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
I don’t actually find Dublin a great place, quite the opposite to be honest with it needing a makeover but that’s a discussion for another forum . Weather wise, I guess I’ll make a better judgement on the west overall when I go to others in future and compare with reports I’ve seen.
Even when lived in Connemara which is in the same county as my own, I could not believe the general differences between there and here. Totally different world geographically, culturally and meteorologically!

Dublin to me as an outsider is Ok. I've seen worse places.
Thanks from:
31-08-2019, 15:24   #4166
Snow Garden
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post

Only 286mm up to now

Needs 14mm today.

Prob only 4mm

Sorry I am confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenji View Post
Technically 615mm in Lough Eske in 1985 would be the current record.
Are you saying Athenry's 300mm is in 2nd place?

Last edited by Snow Garden; 31-08-2019 at 15:27.
31-08-2019, 16:40   #4167
Xenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Garden View Post
Sorry I am confused.

Are you saying Athenry's 300mm is in 2nd place?
It is a record for the station, but nationally for August it recorded less than half the record and I doubt it is even close to the top 10, I think there are over 500 volunteer ran rain stations in the country so it is hard to correlate all the information.
(2) thanks from:
31-08-2019, 17:04   #4168
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenji View Post
It is a record for the station, but nationally for August it recorded less than half the record and I doubt it is even close to the top 10, I think there are over 500 volunteer ran rain stations in the country so it is hard to correlate all the information.
I was looking through the daily data for August 1985 here for 'Mt. Lough Eske' and the figures as shown on the Met Eireann 'extreme' page for August do not add up for the station, as figures from the daily data for the station 'only' show 380.3mm for that month, which is sizable enough in itself.

We also have to keep in mind that this station is also located at an altitude above 270m asl, so it is in a mountainous region in the NW and therefore always prone to excessive rainfall totals. Athenry, by comparison, is a low lying station in the relatively sheltered east Galway region, so while totals this month at this lowly station do not compare with those of Lough Eske in back in 1985, they are just as impressive, in fact, probably more so.
(2) thanks from:
31-08-2019, 17:06   #4169
sryanbruen

I'd have some caution with the met.ie extremes page as the max wind gust for August record is incorrect (144 km/h at Claremorris on 11 Aug 1999 it says) which I've told them about before but no change or response, so I wouldn't be surprised about other mistakes.
(2) thanks from:
31-08-2019, 17:20   #4170
Xenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
I was looking through the daily data for August 1985 here for 'Mt. Lough Eske' and the figures as shown on the Met Eireann 'extreme' page for August do not add up for the station, as figures from the daily data for the station 'only' show 380.3mm for that month, which is sizable enough in itself.

We also have to keep in mind that this station is also located at an altitude above 270m asl, so it is in a mountainous region in the NW and therefore always prone to excessive rainfall totals. Athenry, by comparison, is a low lying station in the relatively sheltered east Galway region, so while totals this month at this lowly station do not compare with those of Lough Eske in back in 1985, they are just as impressive, in fact, probably more so.
Never had great trust myself when a station is close to a mountainous area, I have said it is exceptional for the area and it is especially for August with no major daily falls outside of yesterday and the 6th, these volunteered stations are prone to inaccuracies and anomalies .

Last edited by Xenji; 31-08-2019 at 17:34.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion