Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Books

• 07-11-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Also, never thought of reading Christmas books....and I am low on reading matter at the moment. Any recommendations I could put on
    my phoneKindle....xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Also, never thought of reading Christmas books....and I am low on reading matter at the moment. Any recommendations I could put on
    my phoneKindle....xxx

My fave Christmas type book is "Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilcher, I read it every year. It's a bit cheesy but that's kind of what you want this time of year.

The Price of Salt (also known as Carol) is a great book, by Patricia Highsmith. It's not a Christmas book per se but it's set in 1950's New York around Christmas. It's also known as the first book with lesbian main characters that had a vaguely happy ending, which was rare when it was published.

I also just googled it and found this list and they honestly all sound great and I've only read a couple of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

my phoneKindle....xxx
    Short Stories: The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

otnomart wrote: »
    Short Stories: The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry

The version illustrated by P.J. Lynch is particularly beautiful. :)

There's another children's book that's a really lovely story, I think it's called "The Gift" - I'll see if I can find it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Here it is.

the-gift-of-magi.jpg

The other book was called "The Stone", not "The Gift".

9781845074463.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

I bought a book on amazon and its delivery date has changed to 03 Dec - 04 Feb! Its a bloody Christmas present.

I just changed it to -4 business day, Amazon Global Priority, for an extra 24.98$ and it changed to 01 Dec -04 Jan. Whats the craic with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

zxn1h0.jpg

Got this to read to the family on Christmas Eve. Always meant to do it as it was an old tradition my Grandfather had before he died & I always meant to carry it on in his memory, decided this year was the one. Book arrived on Monday & its a lovely version. Told the kids we'd sit down after they'd had their baths & were in their new Pj's & read this before they went to bed.... I think I was more excited than they were :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

IMG_00201_zps9fvfdls5.jpg

Got that along with a few others recently too. Christmas carol, Rudolph, the Grinch. To begin our family traditions.

Again illustrated by P.J. Lynch, A Christmas Carol.
    Christmas+Carol+P.J.+Lynch+Charles+Dickens.JPG
    Facebook%2Bprofile%2B%2B%2BA%2BChristmas%2BCarol%2Bcover.jpg
    It also comes in a boxset with two other books of his.
    1001004006756168.jpg
    Box+set.jpg

(Yes, I confess I do have a soft spot for P.J. Lynch :p)

They look class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That christmas Carol one looks superb... I know what I'm looking for online at lunchtime now!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

If you can, get the boxset. :)

P.J. Lynch is a genius. You should also look at his other children's books (older than that one), especially "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" and "The Snow Queen". And his Hans Christian Andersen stories one, and the Oscar Wilde one, too. And his "Beeman of Orn". They are quite old, indeed, and maybe even out of print by now, but if you can get them you won't be sorry. He's addictive!

That's also beautiful, just a completely different style. :)

Still on Christmas books, Gennady Spirin is another great artist, he has his own version of "The twelve days of Christmas".
    512la1%2Bpb3L._SY346_.jpg

Also, this book by Vladyslav Yerko is also a must-have.
    Snow_queen_thumb2.jpg?imgmax=800

At this rate, I think it would be nice to have a "Christmas Books" thread. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

New Home wrote: »
    At this rate, I think it would be nice to have a "Christmas Books" thread. :)

Agreed :) Great idea for a thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

The Christmas books are beautiful All,
    The would even be beautiful presents for any couples that are expecting babies,

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Christmas comes early...I went out this morning to my bovine family, and I come back in, and the Christmas Elves have put up a new
    thread in my name...its just magic....
    And I am just loving the books being put up, and the illustrations are just gorgeous. As said above, a great present for couples
    expecting a baby, or with an infant in the house.... Thanks a mil all.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Any recommendations as to where is best site/place to buy the books.
    We had a couple of fellas over in the yard yesterday to do some work. It took me few minutes to work out why one of them
    was looking at me weirdly. I had spotify in my pocket, and it was playing Santa Claus is coming to town. He was definately of
    the Bah Humbug brigade.....

My absolute favourite place in the whole world is Chapters in Dublin (no affiliation, I just adore them). Other than that, bookdepository.com are good (they used to be excellent, with a first rate customer service), but since Amazon took over things have declined a bit - they're still good, but they went from a 10 out of 10 to a 7 out of 10 (to me at least).

• Advertisement

By the way, Liz Climo's books are adorable.

Liz+Climo+12+days+IIHIH+Day+1.png

Coming up: Charity book of essays about Christmas
    "Andy Serkis, Caitlin Moran, Olivia Colman and Emily Watson are among the contributors talking about what Christmas means to them, along with homeless people, charity workers and refugees.
    All proceeds will go to Crisis and The Refugee Council.
    The book will be published on 31st October 2019"
    https://www.thebookseller.com/news/emma-thompson-and-greg-wises-charity-christmas-essays-quercus-970781

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

"Andy Serkis, Caitlin Moran, Olivia Colman and Emily Watson are among the contributors talking about what Christmas means to them, along with homeless people, charity workers and refugees.
    https://www.thebookseller.com/news/emma-thompson-and-greg-wises-charity-christmas-essays-quercus-970781

Great find. Looking forward to picking this up this year!

Was browsing a bookshop today and this book jumped at me: Christmas Pudding by Nancy Mitford.
    About a Christmas house party.
    Starts like this: "Four o' clock on the first of November, and dark and foggy day".
    Had to have it !
    Am reading another book at the moment, will let you know how it is , once I get to it !

"Sophie Kinsella will return to her bestselling Shopaholic series with her first festive title, Christmas Shopaholic, to be published in October 2019"
    I am not so sure about this one. Has anyone here read any of her other books ?
    https://www.thebookseller.com/news/festive-outing-kinsellas-shopaholic-series-transworld-979466#

20 Christmas Books

https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/tv-movies/g28737773/best-christmas-books/

My fave, the Gift of the Magi, is there too.

Amazing: Over 400 hardbacks hit shops today !
    Amongst them: The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch by Tom Fletcher

Great ideas for own reading list and also for gifts:
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/oct/03/the-10-biggest-books-of-autumn-2019

Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas by Adam Kay follows Kay through six festive seasons on hospital wards.
    will be published on 17 October

Last Christmas book is out now
    https://www.quercusbooks.co.uk/titles/greg-wise/last-christmas/9781529404227/

I plan to get it next week

hbg-title-9781529404227-31.jpg?fit=450%2C638

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh I like the look of that.

Advertisement