Post Reply  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-12-2017, 20:19   #1
Registered User
daveyr's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Drivers Licence with Irish Name

I went in to get my Learners permit using my Irish name and after photo and getting my signature taken, the person went off and came back saying I had to use my English name because I had no photo ID in my Irish name (I'm 17, all I have is my passport in English). So now I have my Learners Permit with my English Full name including middle name which I never use and my Irish name signed on the bottom.
Anyone know what I should do?
Go raibh maith agaibh
daveyr is offline  
20-01-2018, 00:02   #2
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,673
Get photo id in Irish, try leap, student id etc.
the passport office will require 2 years evidence of use of your name to issue a passport as Gaeilge, unless you marry someone with your Sloinne....

You probably need to see the rules for the PSC, as the rsa take that as gospel these days. Más feidir leat é a fáil i d'ainm i nGaeilge, bheadh níos mó ná leath an cogadh bhúaite agat.
Carawaystick is offline  
28-01-2018, 16:51   #3
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 648
How long have you been using your name in Irish?
Do you have any proof that you've been using it in Irish?
What did/do you use at school?

You need to create records that you use it in Irish, and everything will follow from that, or else go to a lawyer and get an affidavit saying that you use the Irish version.
Or a deed poll, again a lawyer.
deirdremf is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Remove Text Formatting

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Share Tweet