Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Irish audio book or podcast aimed at intermediate speakers/learners

• 11-01-2018 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Dia Dhaoibhse,

I would really like to get my Irish back to the point where it was at its best (in irish college circa 1996 ) and beyond .

At the moment I don't have time amongst the demands of life to attend a speaking group or class.

I do however have some lengthy commutes where I usually listen to podcasts or radio .

I have tried listening to Radio Na G but its just way too fast for me and I struggle to get an idea of what most conversations are about.

I'd love to find some podcasts , radio plays or audio books aimed at the advanced/intermediate learner , does such a thing exist ?

Any other ideas to help me improve my Irish would be much appreciated .I think it is a savage language , I love the way it rolls and its so much more earthed in the natural world than the English which we speak which is becoming more and more Americanized and tech influenced. I'm looking for an antidote to that and I feel that if I could fill my head with that magical language it might protect some of my soul:).

There's a philosopher John Moriarty who described a language as "a way of seeing the world" and he said that if a language dies a way of seeing the world dies too . I hope by learning Irish again I can see the world differently.

Is Mise le meas,

Barra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Tá go leor ábhar fuaime ar fáil i ngaeilge ar Soundcloud. Míreanna ó chláracha raidió (Raidió na Gaeltachta, Raidió na Life, Raidió Fáilte). Chomh maith leis sin tá scéálta do pháistí ar fáil

Plenty of audio material available as Gaeilge on Soundcloud - podcasts from the Irish language radio stations as well as stories for children.

https://soundcloud.com/rnl
    https://soundcloud.com/forasnagaeilge
    https://soundcloud.com/raidio-f
    https://soundcloud.com/rte-rnag

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Go raibh Míle Míle maith Agut !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Watching Spoirt ar TnaG can help you get your ear tuned in, so RnaG isn't so daunting. Especially Rugbai Beo, úd, clibirt agus.rl arethe main technical terms, with Players Names obvious and the action obvious also.
    Leadóg in wimbledon is also obvious.

Ros na Rún seems to be able to turn off the subtitles so you can challenge yourself to follow the conversations, and bbc2 has irish programs on about 2 nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dara O Rourke

Dia Dhaoibhse,

I would really like to get my Irish back to the point where it was at its best (in irish college circa 1996 ) and beyond .

At the moment I don't have time amongst the demands of life to attend a speaking group or class.

I do however have some lengthy commutes where I usually listen to podcasts or radio .

I have tried listening to Radio Na G but its just way too fast for me and I struggle to get an idea of what most conversations are about.

I'd love to find some podcasts , radio plays or audio books aimed at the advanced/intermediate learner , does such a thing exist ?

Any other ideas to help me improve my Irish would be much appreciated .I think it is a savage language , I love the way it rolls and its so much more earthed in the natural world than the English which we speak which is becoming more and more Americanized and tech influenced. I'm looking for an antidote to that and I feel that if I could fill my head with that magical language it might protect some of my soul:).

There's a philosopher John Moriarty who described a language as "a way of seeing the world" and he said that if a language dies a way of seeing the world dies too . I hope by learning Irish again I can see the world differently.

Is Mise le meas,

Barra

Mé féin freisin , Barry. Seems to be a lots of audiotapes /CDs for 4-7 year olds , really hard stuff like Cré na Cille and a huge void in the middle. Something aimed at 12/13 yr olds would be about my speed. Let us know how you got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Dia Dhaoibhse,

Is Mise le meas,

Barra

I found the book 'Turas Teanga' with cds very good for ordinary conversation. I got it online second hand....expect there's lots of unused copies out there. Also 'Cormac ag a cúig' easy enough to follow on RnaG.
    I'm on the same journey myself so I empathise with you. I attend an Irish course in Gaelthúir but I think if the government were serious about supporting Irish there should be free courses available in all major towns.

• Advertisement

Cathellen wrote: »
    I found the book 'Turas Teanga' with cds very good for ordinary conversation. I got it online second hand....expect there's lots of unused copies out there. Also 'Cormac ag a cúig' easy enough to follow on RnaG.
    I'm on the same journey myself so I empathise with you. I attend an Irish course in Gaelthúir but I think if the government were serious about supporting Irish there should be free courses available in all major towns.

Hi ,Cathellen. How did you find Gaelthúir? Is that Gaelchultúr? I've been looking at courses as I don't think two hours a week when you're tired in the evenings is ideal. The most well reviewed seems to be Oideas Gael in Gweedore , which is a very long way from me ( in north west Cork). The courses themselves are fairly reasonably priced imo ...it's the accommodation that whacks up the cost. I will give Cormac a listen. I seem to be stuck at lower intermediate go deo! Any feedback on other residential courses would be very welcome guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Hi ,Cathellen. How did you find Gaelthúir? Is that Gaelchultúr? I've been looking at courses as I don't think two hours a week when you're tired in the evenings is ideal. The most well reviewed seems to be Oideas Gael in Gweedore , which is a very long way from me ( in north west Cork). The courses themselves are fairly reasonably priced imo ...it's the accommodation that whacks up the cost. I will give Cormac a listen. I seem to be stuck at lower intermediate go deo! Any feedback on other residential courses would be very welcome guys.

Yes you're right Gaelchultúr. It's good to improve grammer and you get an oportunity to chat but a weekly Ciorcal comhrá would probably be as good if the people are at your level ar a bit better. I went to Gleann Columcille (oideas gael) and also An Ceathrú Rua. Better activities in Gleann C but I spoke more Irish in Ceathrú Rua. If you're determined you'll get a lot out of going to the gaeltacht but you're right it's expensive. It would be ideal to rent a place or caravan and stay for a month.

Cathellen wrote: »
    Yes you're right Gaelchultúr. It's good to improve grammer and you get an oportunity to chat but a weekly Ciorcal comhrá would probably be as good if the people are at your level ar a bit better. I went to Gleann Columcille (oideas gael) and also An Ceathrú Rua. Better activities in Gleann C but I spoke more Irish in Ceathrú Rua. If you're determined you'll get a lot out of going to the gaeltacht but you're right it's expensive. It would be ideal to rent a place or caravan and stay for a month.

Maith agat as ucht do feedback. Everyone in our cómhrá is better than me! Interesting that An Ceathrú Rua had more Irish going on. Maybe Oideas gael is a bit too international? Thanks again.

Advertisement