Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Hey all

I'm looking to get a 1910 Sovereign valued, and maybe sell it...

The writing on the coin is as follows
    EDWARDS VII D: G: Britt: OMN: REX F: D IXD: IMP:

Any help and feedback would be fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Should fetch £250-£300 for scrap value alone - that's where most are going these days. Check this eBay link. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=gold+sovereign&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Should fetch £250-£300 for scrap value alone - that's where most are going these days. Check this eBay link. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=gold+sovereign&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Deltion

Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice on a pair of €100 notes from 2002 and a pair of Irish €500 notes. Inspired by this page. I'm wondering what I could reasonably expect for these notes and what would be the best way to go about selling them. I already looked at banknotes.com and couldn't find any more on these Irish euro notes so any help would be appreciated.

DSCF1841Large.jpg
    DSCF1842Large.jpg
    DSCF1839Large.jpg
    DSCF1840Large.jpg

Deltion wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice on a pair of €100 notes from 2002 and a pair of Irish €500 notes. Inspired by this page. I'm wondering what I could reasonably expect for these notes and what would be the best way to go about selling them. I already looked at banknotes.com and couldn't find any more on these Irish euro notes so any help would be appreciated.

DSCF1841Large.jpg
    DSCF1842Large.jpg
    DSCF1839Large.jpg
    DSCF1840Large.jpg

Reckon you'd get €1200 for those:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭zimmermania

busyliving wrote: »
    Reckon you'd get €1200 for those:D
    There was somebody on R T E radio this week saying that 100 euro notes with t the first letter of the number were worth 120 euro in perfect condition.Anyone know something about it?

So there's limited chance of getting anything above face value for those notes then?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Although the notes are rare, very few people are looking to buy them unless they are in near mint or uncirculated condition
    Another reason so few are looking to buy these notes is the feared collapse of the euro

I see! Thanks for laying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Could I get some help with some German empire marks and Reichsmarks?

I have a few so far but if I find some more it would be OK to post them?

I have found them on numismundi.com but comments as regards condition would be helpful.

1) 100 Mark

http://numismundi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=321_329&products_id=1049

182647.jpg

182648.jpg

I have no idea why the ink on mine is green, could it be a forgery? In the posted link it's red.

2) 10 mark

http://numismundi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=218&products_id=2637

182652.JPG

182651.JPG

3) 50 Reichsmark

http://numismundi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=321_323&products_id=1108

or

http://numismundi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=321_323&products_id=1107

182653.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

And I hit the image limit:

182656.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 reilly00

I have a 2 euro coin which is totally silver with no gold in the middle,is it rare or worth anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hey all, I was over in the Middle East a while back, and while in Petra and Amman I bought some coins off street vendors. They claimed that they were ancient Roman and Greek coins, and while they certainly look the part, I wouldn't be surprised if they were minted that day in vendor's back kitchen! Anyway, they were quite cheap so I said I'd take the risk and buy a few. I've had them in a drawer for a while now and thought I'd like to get them authenticated. Does anyone have any suggestions on reputable dealers/valuers, who won't charge me a small fortune, or worse, buy them off me for a tenner only for me to see him on Antiques Roadshow in a year selling them on for a few grand! I'm in Kilkenny, but am also in Dublin quite a bit. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also, while I'm at it, I'd like to build up a collection of ancient coins and artefacts. Any advice on where I'd go online to learn about starting such a collection? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

Hi Guys,

I have managed to get my hands so some €500 notes and am just wondering how I got about selling/auctioning them? I obviously want to maximise my return so I don't think I will sell/auction all of them at once!

I have gotten my hands on Irish issued notes (starting with 'T'), German issued notes (starting with 'X') and a few other letters which I have not looked into their origins. Some of these €500 notes are in pristine condition and some are slightly worn. I don't know if it is only certain country issues that have value? Obviously, the quality will also have bearing on the value.

I originally started a thread relating to this topic but it has been closed - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056467456

I got some good information from one post - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...294910293.html but need some more help please.

Thanks a lot! I hope to make some easy money for the new year

07438991 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have managed to get my hands so some €500 notes and am just wondering how I got about selling/auctioning them? I obviously want to maximise my return so I don't think I will sell/auction all of them at once!

I have gotten my hands on Irish issued notes (starting with 'T'), German issued notes (starting with 'X') and a few other letters which I have not looked into their origins. Some of these €500 notes are in pristine condition and some are slightly worn. I don't know if it is only certain country issues that have value? Obviously, the quality will also have bearing on the value.

I originally started a thread relating to this topic but it has been closed - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056467456

I got some good information from one post - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...294910293.html but need some more help please.

Thanks a lot! I hope to make some easy money for the new year

Any suggestions people...?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mikeireland

I'm hoping someone can help me with an inquiry. My Aunt has in her possession a mint Lady Lavery £5 note from the 70's. I dont have exact details to hand ATM, what makes the note unique is the fact that the two serial numbers are different. this is a genuine note but non circulated as it was spotted in branch and not given to any member of the public. I can provide a pic later.
    Regards
    Mike

busyliving wrote: »
    Hey all

I'm looking to get a 1910 Sovereign valued, and maybe sell it...

The writing on the coin is as follows
    EDWARDS VII D: G: Britt: OMN: REX F: D IXD: IMP:

Any help and feedback would be fantastic

Sorry I made a mistake in my previous post, it was in fact a Half Sovereign...

But I got offered €120 for it today, good/bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Anyone know how much the value of a 1921 George V copper penny mint condition raised centre design would be? just needs a polish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Hi everyone. I'm totally new to the whole collectibles thing. I don't actually have a clue but there are a load of old coins in the family and I've been wondering what they would be worth. I just picked 2 out that seemed to me to be a bit more rare than the rest. There's a lot of old pennys and florins along with other foreign currency. Some of them are from the late 1800's. Here are the 2 I thought I'd ask about.

2d2e5.jpg

b39f5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaylad

I have a rare £1 " Ploughmans" Bank of Ireland Bank Note dated 3-7-1939.

I was wondering if anyone might know the value of such a note, it is in good condition.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

(See pic attached)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

Hey can anyone tell me where one, I could get my coin collection valued and also does anyone know where I can purchase euro commemorative and coin sets on the net from a legit dealer, not ebay. Its one series of coins I'm finding hard to buy. cheers

reilly00 wrote: »
    I have a 2 euro coin which is totally silver with no gold in the middle,is it rare or worth anything??

Error coins are difficult to value, its all down to what someone would be willing to pay, a photo would help

galwaylad wrote: »
    I have a rare £1 " Ploughmans" Bank of Ireland Bank Note dated 3-7-1939.

I was wondering if anyone might know the value of such a note, it is in good condition.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

(See pic attached)

Give the piece missing from the top left hand corner around the €250 mark would be a fair price for it
    the colour looks to be a bit too strong, was it the lighting the photo was taken in or has it been washed?

miss choc wrote: »
    Anyone know how much the value of a 1921 George V copper penny mint condition raised centre design would be? just needs a polish

would have to see a photo of it
    do not polished it, it will be worthless if you do

07438991 wrote: »
    Any suggestions people...?

the only ones that would have any real value over face would be a totally uncirculated €500 Irish note, if you have one that is in this condition you could thry putting it up on ebay but take note of the fees you will have to pay when you set your price

I'm hoping someone can help me with an inquiry. My Aunt has in her possession a mint Lady Lavery £5 note from the 70's. I dont have exact details to hand ATM, what makes the note unique is the fact that the two serial numbers are different. this is a genuine note but non circulated as it was spotted in branch and not given to any member of the public. I can provide a pic later.
    Regards
    Mike

id really like to see a photo of this one, could be worth a bit

the only ones that would have any real value over face would be a totally uncirculated €500 Irish note, if you have one that is in this condition you could thry putting it up on ebay but take note of the fees you will have to pay when you set your price

Uncirculated..? SO the issue letter has no bearing and it doesn't matter if the notes are Irish, German, etc.?

Shryke wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm totally new to the whole collectibles thing. I don't actually have a clue but there are a load of old coins in the family and I've been wondering what they would be worth. I just picked 2 out that seemed to me to be a bit more rare than the rest. There's a lot of old pennys and florins along with other foreign currency. Some of them are from the late 1800's. Here are the 2 I thought I'd ask about.

2d2e5.jpg

b39f5.jpg

the larger one on the left is a silver mexican 8 reales piece from 1894
    in its condition it would be worth around €25-€30

The smaller one is as you can read from the coin, an east india one rupee 1840, which is not an easy coin to find but because of the hole is worth around €15

Irish notes have a T serial number
    These are the only ones with a real collectible value if they are uncirculated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

1576062C93D5482DA20E239A9634F76F-0000348302-0002701874-00640L-435573291FDA4F7F883FB87A1E2E2A25.jpg

£20 Serial 85X067641 24.3.76
    £10 Serial l3D320018 24.5.73
    £5 Serial 69A288692 26.5.74
    £1 Serial 76K951074 21.4.75

C9701406A7794F05B3CC5AE381829CDA-0000348302-0002701873-00640L-B415500CDD2042628BED0A1809A262F7.jpg

£1 Serial 57H409384 2.10.69
    £1 Serial CLB 827406 10.06.77
    £1 Serial CED 210874 20.08.80

Forgot I had these hidden away in a book. Anyone have any idea what they are worth. I have a load of other notes/coins too from around the world. Never had them valued. Half of them are in the attic at this stage.

Advertisement