Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i have 2 stories...
    1 invloves my sister and the other indirectly involves me...

1st off... my sister went to college in Killfinnan(sp?),Limerick. Since we live in dublin she was obviously renting a house. she shared it wit 3 other girls. now the house thy were living in was down a country lane of sorts. my sister used to talk about seeing weird lights moving and changing colours in the garden and living room but always passed it off as cars going past etc. until 1 night thy came back from an end of year cermony type thing to change before going to the pub to celebrate but came home to find the 2 outside lights going on/off rapidly. thinking it was a fault of some sort thy turned the lights of from the fuse box and went on. as thy walked out of the house the lights started to go mad again yet the pwer would not have been going to them...

the ppl in the house always talked about noise and footsteps upstairs, doors banging and even once 1 girl walked into the kitchen to find all the press doors hanging off there hinges! needless to say she moved soon after that happened

the other story is when i was on holidays in south africa. my uncle lives over there. while we were there we visited his holiday home in a town called Montague(sp?). its a big place with a big dining room that has a table to seat about 30 ppl! there are bedrooms at either end(i was in 1 my parents in the other) and then some further on at the back of the house. we were staying there for 3 days. on the 2nd night my da gets up to go to the toilet and on his way back notices a woman in a long white night dress standing at the end of the big table.. thinking it was my cousin/sister/aunt he had woken up he apologised and went back to bed.

the next morning sitting around the table my dad asked who he had woken last night and thy all said thy hadnt been woken adn that none of them owned a long white night dress..

after we had left the house my mam told me the truth be hind this. i was only 14 at the time and didnt wanna scare me! the room that i had been staying in was haunted. the woman that my dad had seen was the mother of 2 kids that lived there years and years ago. the mother and 2 kids had died in a fire in the house. every night the woman would sit up out of the bed i was sleeping in(this freaked the **** outta me) and walk into the dining room before running back into the room. at the back of the room i was sleeping in was a bricked up hallway that brought you into the back bedroom where my uncle sleeps. the woman runs back into the room and through the back wall but never appears on the other side.

my uncle has been told that she is running to check on her kids when she notices the fire but is too late to get to them! this happens every night apparently. the woman never causes any harm or any mischief.

my parents moved me outta that room for the last night we stayed there but had never told me why! i still get chills thinking about how i shared a bed with a ghost!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

My ex told me a story very recently of her experience. I know its not first hand but she isnt the type to make up or believe this stuff. While in her friends house many years ago she saw things and felt things. Sitting on a bed with her friend the hair of the friend was visibly lifted up and tugged at by an invisible force while my ex attempted to pull it back. Later on when calling to the door they seen through the blurred glass pane a black figure cross the landing at the top of the stairs . She maintains that there was no one in the house at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

I've got a few stories. Let me start off by saying I've never seen a ghost, but I have heard and felt them. I grew up in the MidWest and we had an old barn on the property that was over 100 years old. The things my brother and I used to get up to in that barn should have killed us both, but we were never hurt.

One day were were unloading a hay wagon into the loft. My brother was on top of the haywagon, on top of the stack of hay, which was about seven tiers high. He steps over to grab another haybale, when the three under his feet fall out of the stack. He falls too. Now, there wasn't much danger in him hitting the ground; it was about two feet of loose straw and hay, but he falls right over the tongue of the wagon. He was facing up and the back of his head and neck are on a collision course with the steel tongue. I was sitting on the tractor, watching him fall. John's trying desperately to curl his head up, because he realizes the tongue is right under him. About a foot above the tongue, he just tips up about six inches, like someone put thier hand under his shoulders. There was no way he could have done that himself. I was the only one that could see that happen, because everyone else was in the hayloft, so I didn't say anything.

Later on, we pulled the barn down and built a new one on top of it. I was carrying a 50 lb. sack of feed towards a small door. Now, I'm small and I was only 10 or 12 at the time, so the feedsack was getting the better of me and I had to open the door to get it inside. Just as I get there, the door opens on its own. It wasn't the wind, because the wind doesn't turn the handle, open the door, wait for you to go through it, then shut the door behind you. All I could think to do was say: 'Thank you'

When I joined the Air Force I got assigned to a haunted dorm in basic training. The Drill sargeants said everyone thought thier dorms were haunted, but I pulled dormguard for the baby flights and I never heard a peep out of the other dorms. In our dorm, the girls would see shadows moving back and forth across thier bunks even after the lights were out. I would always hear papers shuffling in a room that *used to be* an office, but was now a meeting room and contained no paper. One night I was standing at the guard stand and heard footsteps walk across the hall and into the bathroom. The bathroom was only about five feet away and I could clearly see that there was no one there. Everyone was afraid to stand dorm guard at night from the 11 - 2 a.m. shift, but since the drill sargeants weren't allowed to bother us then, I always volunteered for it. At least the ghost didn't scream at me. :p

And the last one was something that happened to my high school art teacher, so it's second hand, but it's still pretty good. My art teacher took a European tour one year and went into Notre Dame. My art teacher's first name is Joan, so she goes to the statue of Joan of Arc. The statue has over a hundred votive candles burning around the base of it and while they're standing there, my teacher says: 'You know, if I was her, I wouldn't want all those candles at *my* feet.' ('Cause Joan of Arc burned at the stake, ho ho)

Well, they go to leave, but thier path is blocked off by a procession coming through the cathedral, so they have to go back by the statue of Joan of Arc. Even though they had only been gone for about a minute, every single candle at the statue's feet had been extinguished. The other statues in the area still had thier candles burning and the other gal that was with my teacher started looking around for the smartass who overheard them and put all the candles out. There was no one around and even if someone could put out a hundred candles in a minute, there was no way of knowing my teacher and her friend would have to come back by. My teacher was seriously spooked and was convinced that Joan of Arc was teasing her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

ok so far i've seen two posseions , have had thing's (Not saying ghost not sure what) follow me around . heard many people tell me of strange stuff happening in thier houses.doors locking windows opening . my old secondry school which is bout 200 years old is haunt as f**k ppl who don't even believe in thge supernatural(i use that term lightly) have claimed to hear footsteps doors that lock themselves and weird lights at night. it sound far fetched i know somethings i can't believe it and rarely tell any1 of these things. thats all i really wanna talk bout now..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

ok so far i've seen two posseions , have had thing's (Not saying ghost not sure what) follow me around . heard many people tell me of strange stuff happening in thier houses.doors locking windows opening . my old secondry school which is bout 200 years old is haunt as f**k ppl who don't even believe in thge supernatural(i use that term lightly) have claimed to hear footsteps doors that lock themselves and weird lights at night. it sound far fetched i know somethings i can't believe it and rarely tell any1 of these things. thats all i really wanna talk bout now..

Nice mixed bag there. Would love to hear more or even just ur opinion on anything already posted. We need fresh interpretaions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

OK first off sorry for the long post, but I've had a few things happen to me and other people so I thought I'd add them in......I'm on my lunch break and I'm bored!:)

1st off my family moved to Glasgow from Cork when I was very young, my older brothers and sisters immediately started to explore their new area. My oldest sister would have been around 12 or 13 and herself, my brother and my other sister discovered a really old graveyard near our new house, they spent ages looking round the old stones and reading dates etc. My sister seen one that belonged to a little girl who was only 3, she was the only one in the grave and my sister said she always felt sorry for her, because she was so young, so she would go back on her own every few days and lay flowers and say a little prayer. She had been doing this for a year or so, when one day she said she was standing there when she got a very uncomfortable feeling so she left pretty sharpish, as she was walking away from the graveyard she heard a noise and turned round, she said just at the gates there was an absolutely adorable little girl with a long flowing dress waving at her, who then disappeared, my sister ran home terrified (remember she was only around 14 at this point), but said looking back she realised it was only the little girl saying hello as she had been visiting her grave for so long.
    My sister died when she was 26 and afterwards my Dad said he always smelled her perfume (Jean Paul Gaultier) beside his chair for ages afterwards. The strange thing as well was that when she lived with us, she got into quite a bit of trouble from the Police, there was a spot at the top of our stairs where you could lie on the floor and be hidden and still see what was going on downstairs, we always would lie here when the Police were in to see what had happened, when she died our cat would stare at this spot for ages, my Dad thinks this was Marj looking down at us from our spot so she could see what we were all up to as it was hidden from sight from anyone in the livingroom.
    I had a few experiences in a house I rented with some friends in Derry years later. One night my friend who had broken up with her fiance a month or so before was very upset (long story I won't go into) she went to bed and I told her to give me a shout if she needed to talk or anything, around an hour after I got into bed I heard the bedroom door opening, I saw someone come in wearing a blue nightdress, I was really tired so didn't bother opening my eyes but reached out to give her a hug (as I assumed it was my flatmate) she sat down on the bed and hugged me, but she was FREEZING cold, I opened my eyes and there was no one there, my shoulder was still freezing cold so I jumped out of bed and ran into her room to see her lying fast asleep in the bed, she wasn't sleeping for long I'll tell you, I jumped in the bed with her and wouldn't go back into my own room until morning. By the way she never owned a blue dress, never mind a blue nightdress. A few months later, I awoke again as there was a load of noise in the diningroom (directly below my room) it sounded like all the furniture was being dragged about, I went out to investigate and found my flatmate at the top of the stairs, she had heard this also and thought it was me, we listened for another minute or so and then the noise stopped, we both went down (terrified, I tell you) and nothing had been moved, everything was still in place, we moved out not long after.
    I've always felt strange presences when I've been somewhere spooky, but I don't know if this is just imagination. The last thing that happened was when my Granda died, who I was very close too. My Granda was 88 when he died and he was a very strong healthy man, he had never been in hospital overnight in his life. I always remember his hands, they were huge, he was a farmer and would have deep gashes all over that would have brought a lesser man to tears but his skin was like leather and he would shrug them off without even putting on a plaster. Anyway he started becoming very forgetful, he was the first person I told that I got engaged and the last time I seen him (about a year after this) he seen the engagement ring on my finger and had completely forgot that my fiance had proposed the year before, this was quite upsetting, but he joked away the way he used to and I went back to Dublin quite happy, a month or so later he was in hospital with suspected altztheimers which was then discovered to be a brain tumour, he got ill very fast and our family was called to say goodbye. I have a very large, very close family (32 grandchildren alone) and everyone bar some from New York and Spain came to the hospital as the doctors said he would pass soon, he kept living night after night, and more people would arrive, I couldn't face going and constantly made up stories about work etc until my Dad eventually rang and said it was OK for me not to go, that night after the phonecall, I had a very vivid dream about my Granda he was dressed in his one good suit and he came up and hugged me (he'd only ever hugged me once so this alone was very strange) I woke up screaming for my husband as this completely freaked me out and he had to stop me ringing my Mum as it was 4am and she would have been either at the hospital or trying to get some sleep as they'd all been awake for days. My Granda died a couple of days later and everyone I told about this said it was him saying goodbye and saying it was OK that I hadn't came to see him. I know some people may say it was only a dream but I really felt him there (hence the panic when I woke up) Sorry again for the long post. Love the thread by the way, I hope people keep adding to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

I'm probably imagining things but will share my experience if it is truly one and I'm not being paranoid.

A few days ago I asked the spirits in the apartment (should they exist) to give me a sign. In the coming days I noticed marks on the wall which I feared might be some kind of apparition. I had also watched a lot of LivingTV in recent days, including Sensing Murder, Dead Famous, Colin Fry and Most Haunted. I was looking over my shoulder a lot and wondering am I being watched.

I found some holy water in the house that my mother had left in. I decided just in case to throw some of it at the marks I suspected of being apparitions. Much of the marks have now gone but not all. What is quite scary is that I actually saw the outline of one of them shrinking before my eyes. But there are still these 2 things that look a bit like eyes on the wall.

take a photo?

6th wrote:
    take a photo?

I'll take a photo of what it looks like now. However I should have taken some before I used the holy water because it won't be clear how it changed and how quickly. It was quite scary that the image shrunk so rapidly after I threw the water on it - it was very little water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

fabcat wrote:
    wearing a blue nightdress, I was really tired so didn't bother opening my eyes

How could you know she was wearing a blue night dress if you had your eyes closed?

• Advertisement

Do you know when your really tired and you can see whats around without really opening your eyes? Like your eyelids are really heavy so you kind of only open them a bit so your visions quite blurry? This is what I done, this is how I didn't actually recognise the person coming in wasn't my flatmate, I certainly wouldn't have hugged some random stranger with bad taste in clothes in my room at 3 in the morning whether thay were alive or dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noh showband

Kennett wrote:
    (Re: Jeremiah 16:1's ghost story: ) I'm somewhat doubting the above myself, but I'm not dismissing it. Sounds just a little OTT, which is why I have my doubts...

How can you doubt it?

Jeremiah 16:1 - "Then the word of the LORD came to me"

(At least it isn't Jeremiah 16:4!)

Actually I won't take a photo right now I am a bit scared something else will come up on it.

Take the photo!

Obviously i can understand that you might actually be worried that it may not show up as well as you would like and you could get a hard time from some idiots but take a shot and put it up in good faith.

Did you take the photo yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

im wating ;)

Grimes wrote:
    im wating ;)

It's gone now so it's too late. I was afraid earlier that something supernatural would come up on the camera.

I was afraid earlier that something supernatural would come up on the camera.

Wow, sounds like you'd be great on an investigation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spirals

Hi all,

This thread is brilliant...love reading all the stories! I've already posted one of mine in my introduction thread, but here's another one if anyone's interested...

I used to work in an office in Grafton Street, directly above Burger King at the Nassau Street end. The company I worked for is no longer there so I hope it's ok to specify the building. If you're familiar with Grafton street, you'll probably have noticed narrow staircases in between the shops which lead to the upper floors and businesses. I worked on the second
    floor, so this was the only way to my office. There were 2 more floors above ours. One was used by us (my mangers office and a storage room) and one, the top floor, was completely empty (and locked).

The first strange thing I noticed was that sometimes, as I walked up the wooden stairs, I could clearly hear footsteps walking up behind me. Once I remember hearing steps running up behind me, really rushed, so I stood to one side to let the person pass me and was pretty shocked to see absolutely noone on the stairs except me. The steps usually stopped when I turned around but once or twice, they slowed down and went right past me.

Our office opened at 10 on Saturday mornings and I often opened it alone. The next person would be due in at 11 so I'd be there for an hour on my own. I heard on countless occasions, doors slamming and crashing on the floors above me. I knew that I was the only person in the building and no one could have come up the stairs without me seeing them. This really scared me and I really grew to dread having to open the place on my own. Whoever or whatever was making that noise, didn't seem friendly at all to me.

I think the thing that scared me most of all happened one day when I was on lunch. I had met my boyfriend at the bottom of the stairs and as I only had a 30 minute lunch, we couldn't go far, so we decided to pop into burger king for something quick. There were queues of about 4 or 5 people and we joined one for one of the middle tills. My boyfriend told me what he wanted and then he moved back to the window to wait for me. A few minutes later as I was still queueing I heard a very loud whisper in my left ear. It was definitely male and deep and so close that I could even feel his breath on my ear. I couldn't understand what the words were and turned around very quickly and said 'What?!' expecting my boyfriend to be standing right behind me. There was absolutely noone there. He was still standing at the window listening to his walkman. This all happened so quickly, there was no way he was playing a trick on me. He must have noticed how shocked I was and came over to me. He said nobody had gone near me. To this day, I have no idea what was whispered to me (which drives me insane!!)
    I have absolutely no doubt that this building is very haunted. I would love to know some history behind it. I left that job shortly afterward, I have to admit that this was probably partly because it was really starting to scare me.

Anyway, there's another one of my experiences. Sorry it was so long....thanks for reading :)

Laura

6th wrote:
    Wow, sounds like you'd be great on an investigation ;)

I think I'd be about as good as you on an investiagtion ND06 ;)

• Advertisement

Ah i was kidding. Its geat to get a good mix on an investigation. I just would have liked to see a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Had an experience once, i was 7-8yrs old, me and my family had gone to visit my grandmother, she had a stroke a year before and was living with my aunt and uncle. My Grand-dad was dead about 1 1/2yrs and my granny was sleeping in the room he had died in, because of the stroke she couldn't talk or walk unaided, my uncle installed a baby monitor in the room so when she needed someone during the night she rang a bell and they would get up to help her.
    Well anyway one weekend we were there and my parents took over the monitor so that my aunt and uncle could get some sleep, i always woke up early when i was there (6-6.30am) my sister was awake also. I heard a voise from the monitor and thought it was my uncle talking to my granny, i called my sis over and we listened, it was then that we realised it wasn't our uncle. The person who was talking was my grandfather (dead for 1 1/2 yrs by now). He was asking how my grandmother was and what's been happening etc. To our surprise my granny acutally started to talk back which she couldn't do because of the stroke. We heard her tell him that we were visiting and she wa so glad to see us and that she was been taken care of very well. At this point we woke up our dad and told him what we heard, he got up and we went to her room (was down stairs) and there was no one there and my granny was asleep.
    My mum and dad told my uncle that morning what we heard, my dad said that my uncle went white in the face and told my dad that he had experienced the same thing, the first time it happened he thought it was the postman popping his head in the window to say good morning to my granny but the postman arrived with the post later on that day.
    The day my grandmother was burried my sis went into my grandmothers room, there was a huge oak dresser with loads family photos on it, all the glass on photos were steamed up and the mirror behind them also was but the strangest thing was that my grandparents wedding photo wasn't and the bit of mirror that was behind was untouched also. The parish priest was there and saw this he said that it was a final good-bye from them both. I'd like to think it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spirals

Wow HairyFairy, that's a pretty amazing story. I've heard so many stories about loved ones coming back to check in on the people they've left behind. I agree with the parish priest who said it was your grandparents saying their final goodbyes.
    My Dad died in 1992 and for the following months, every so often, I would get a smell I only associated with him around the house. He worked in a factory and it was the smell of the oil they used. The smell would just appear all of a sudden and very strongly and then fade away after a few minutes. I like to think it was him checking in on me too.

Laura

Why are ghosts so camera shy? Also why do they prefer appearing at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

The scariest experience I've ever had happened at 8:00 in the morning so spirits can act up any time of the day or night. Actually I don't see how our concept of time would effect them anyway I think it's us that happen to be still and notice them when all is quiet at night.

Well I just had anew experiences today and it has me giggling a little:

I was driving back from a meeting at about 10.30ish and was stopped at traffic lights at O'Connell bridge. I was people watching as i do and i saw a guy i know who's family live a few doors down from my mum.

He (lets call him pat) was walking along very serious look on his face but then i saw the person walking beside him step back a bit and wink at me. It was his older brother (lets call him John) who hung himself just over a year ago. Another person walked through my eyeline and when i saw Pat again I could only see his back and no one was beside him.

Now both these guys were really nice blokes, sure they were a bit dodgy but most guys from our area where back in the day. Its nice to know he's still watching out for his little brother as they were very close.

The wink was a little cheeky and made me feel good. I think its nice to be noticed, for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

That brought a smile to my face. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FNK!

Right, This scared the bollox out of me.

So I went to bed one night, my bed is up against the wall & I slept the opposite way with my feeet touching the wall, so there I was going to sleep when I felt a shock run threw my body from my foot right threw me so I quickly open my eyes & I see a figure & I'm staring at it & I'm think there's no way I'm seeing this so I look to the side then back to where it was & it was right in my face so I jumped & beside my feet was my bedroom lamp I go to turn it on & it's not working but I see the remote there so I turn on my tele for some light then go over & turn on the big light in the room, I'm sitting there thinking about what just happened & I see some blue light flickering on my chest I look down & it stops & this kept happening so I ignored it kept happening but I wouldnt look down & then a huge blue flicker of light happened right in my eye so I legged it downstairs & didn't sleep.

I dunno what the hell happened but I tried explain it best I can there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

About 2 months ago me and a and four of my mates went into malahide park at half 3 in the morning, pitch black it was, we went to the playground. Two of my mates were on the swings when I heard the sound of a small girl giggling, I just stood still in disbeleif, then all my mates went over to were the slide is, right beside the tunnel (were I heard the giggling), then a feeling came over me that someone is watching me, I was just about to say it to my mates what I heard when the giggling started again, this time one of my mates came over to me and asked me if i heard a girl laughing an I said 'yeah i think we should get out of here', we just turned round and started to walk out of the playground when I heard it AGAIN.

We then had to walk through the forest for about 10 mins in the pitch black, we didnt feel safe until we were out of the park, freaky ****.

• Advertisement

dmck2886 wrote:
    About 2 months ago me and a and four of my mates went into malahide park at half 3 in the morning, pitch black it was, we went to the playground. Two of my mates were on the swings when I heard the sound of a small girl giggling, I just stood still in disbeleif, then all my mates went over to were the slide is, right beside the tunnel (were I heard the giggling), then a feeling came over me that someone is watching me, I was just about to say it to my mates what I heard when the giggling started again, this time one of my mates came over to me and asked me if i heard a girl laughing an I said 'yeah i think we should get out of here', we just turned round and started to walk out of the playground when I heard it AGAIN.

We then had to walk through the forest for about 10 mins in the pitch black, we didnt feel safe until we were out of the park, freaky ****.

Maybe it was a real girl! :rolleyes:

Advertisement