Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lean-to roof

• 23-03-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Looking to build a lean-to open roof veranda. I have a run of 4 metres and need a 5deg pitch. Have 2 6x6 posts and will be using a 6x2 attached to House under original roof eaves at height of 2.3m hence the 5 deg pitch. Dont want roof to low at the end as shed roof there. Thinking of using 6.3 rafters. Would these be sufficient for a long run of 4 metres. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Span tables will give you the correct timber to use over a given distamce.

But span tables dont allow for snow loads on a low roof, which may be large on
    a big roof.

Best option is to post your query on Construction and Planning, where there are plenty of engineers.

K.

https://www.rightsurvey.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Easi_Span-tables.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

how will you flash the roof against the house if its up that close

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 phil21_06

how will you flash the roof against the house if its up that close

It's is going under 300mm overhang of original roof of house. Its only a pergola style roof. Down the line I will be putting battens on for a click together light perspex roof. I will only need to worry about flashing then, which is provided with the roof, its a new system. I won't be doing that in the near future so I'm more concerned about the span of the 6x3 timbers.

phil21_06 wrote: »
    It's is going under 300mm overhang of original roof of house. Its only a pergola style roof. Down the line I will be putting battens on for a click together light perspex roof. I will only need to worry about flashing then, which is provided with the roof, its a new system. I won't be doing that in the near future so I'm more concerned about the span of the 6x3 timbers.

If the 6 by 2 is too close to the soffit board and you have a full length sheet then you won't be able to flash it. Been there done that hence my comment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭skilachi

Where did you source the 6x6 Posts?

• Advertisement

If the 6 by 2 is too close to the soffit board and you have a full length sheet then you won't be able to flash it. Been there done that hence my comment:D

https://edgebp.co.uk/aluminium-lean-to-flashing-profile

kadman wrote: »

The 3" + required will kill his slope

The 3" + required will kill his slope

It will if he has to come down below his existing soffet for definite.

But there is always a workaround with many ready available aluminium, zinc, and pvc flashing profiles.

Could go old school and prep the flashing using lead, before he goes any where near the roof, as you rightly suggested.
    His chosen option for this detail needs to be considered first.

Many options here depending on his particular roof type, which he may post up a detailed picture of.
    And between us all he will get free advice:D

K.

Whats the roof system.
    6x3 rafters sound like major overkill to support light perspex??

Usually the roof systems tend to have engineered profiles for long distances.
    6x3 rafters are heavy beasts

Advertisement