26-02-2021, 23:02   #16
The Duk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc5483 View Post
That seemed to me to be only option. One of the reasons I looked at that jig was because of the cost compared to something like the Parf system so not sure what way to go. Thanks for the update and will be interested to hear how jig goes
You are bang on there's not much difference in the price when you add it all up, I'll get a bit more use out the Router than the Parf. I'll take some pictures when using the jig and post them up.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2021, 16:26   #17
recipio

Had a look at the spec of that template again. Its says its 96 x 96 mm - that must be the distance between the centre of the holes ? I'm surprised its 18 mm thick. For jig making I sometimes buy a polyethylene cutting board from Tesco which is only 6 mm thick. To replicate holes in a substrate you can simply drill a few holes to the required size and use a top bearing mounted pattern bit to rout the required hole in the substrate.
Saves having to use an offset guide bush.
27-02-2021, 17:32   #18
JayZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by recipio View Post
Had a look at the spec of that template again. Its says its 96 x 96 mm - that must be the distance between the centre of the holes ? I'm surprised its 18 mm thick. For jig making I sometimes buy a polyethylene cutting board from Tesco which is only 6 mm thick. To replicate holes in a substrate you can simply drill a few holes to the required size and use a top bearing mounted pattern bit to rout the required hole in the substrate.
Saves having to use an offset guide bush.
Good thinking. I'd use that template to make a 6mm MDF template with from which you route your table top. You could even lay out a larger 6mm template making it easier to route the final top with.
28-02-2021, 10:51   #19
recipio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeus View Post
Good thinking. I'd use that template to make a 6mm MDF template with from which you route your table top. You could even lay out a larger 6mm template making it easier to route the final top with.
True. Having burnt out the motor of my drill press once by drilling too many holes I would always use a router now if I had to do so. All those hard plastics including acrylic can be cut on the table saw but you must use a negative rake blade.
19-03-2021, 23:28   #20
The Duk

Just tested my jig on a few scraps of marine ply. I'm going to knock up a planting table for outside. Intestingly the jig has now been removed from the manufacturers website, even the instructional youtube video is gone? Picture s to come...

Last edited by The Duk; 20-03-2021 at 00:22.
Advertisement
20-03-2021, 11:44   #21
The Duk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duk View Post
Just tested my jig on a few scraps of marine ply. I'm going to knock up a planting table for outside. Intestingly the jig has now been removed from the manufacturers website, even the instructional youtube video is gone? Picture s to come...
Here's an picture of the scraps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table.jpg (287.4 KB, 31 views)
(2) thanks from:
05-04-2021, 23:21   #22
The Duk

Just some pics of the worktop, 18 mm birch ply and 2 x 4s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worktop.jpg (163.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg worktop2.jpg (1.85 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg worktop3.jpg (1.03 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg worktop4.jpg (1.03 MB, 12 views)
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion