Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind warnings for Thursday Evening 12th to Friday Morning 13th for west coast counti

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Slight wind increase Fred seems to have lost most of its fury.

Fred?

Still loud and fierce out here.

West mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Tazio wrote: »
    Great! Ferry crossing Friday night :eek: -- I'll post updates here..

Ferry crossings were cancelled or 'In Doubt' due to >4m waves so I chickened out and rescheduled for next Monday. It'll be calm on Monday no nothing exiting to report, sorry! I feel like I've left you all down :pac:

Quite calm no here in Cork since this morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mace Head got a max gust of 106kpm yesterday (6pm). I believe that was the highest gust recorded on the mainland.

That compares with Atiyah which gusted to 112kpm in Mace Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Overnight gust at my station in Arklow of 88kmh on the East coast

Ferry crossings were cancelled or 'In Doubt' due to >4m waves so I chickened out and rescheduled for next Monday. It'll be calm on Monday no nothing exiting to report, sorry! I feel like I've left you all down :pac:

Quite calm no here in Cork since this morning

Wise man; relieved to hear it ;) I gather the Irish Sea is not good at such times. ( Understatement!) Last sea crossing I ever made ( apart from ferries here) was the North Sea from Scandinavia in a storm.. Never again.

• Advertisement

Definitely easing... Still the occasional growl but more of a dull roar... So next snow? lol...
    very dark skies and overall dank and wet.
    A day to light the fire and snuggle with youtube and several cats..

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Surprised there was no rain warning for Sligo. Haven’t seen that much rain in a small time this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very strong winds in Arklow. Worse than any storms recently.

Very strong winds in Arklow. Worse than any storms recently.

Well not Quite!
    Gusting near 90 kmh atm wnw
    Howling
    10 min Avg is 66 though which is impressive for daytime

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Well not Quite!
    Howling

What numbers were you getting from other events? I'm solely basing my opinion on chimney howls and letter box flaps..ha.

• Advertisement

Well not Quite!
    Howling

96kmh wnw

What numbers were you getting from other events? I'm solely basing my opinion on chimney howls and letter box flaps..ha.

90 was the peak in Atiya or whatever her name was
    Just past that again 97kmh :eek:

90 was the peak in Atiya or whatever her name was
    Just past that again 97kmh :eek:

Some big gusts the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still gusty in Castlebar, from midnight till 08.00 this morning there was a gust of over 90 km/hr each hour, a common winters gale here but quite consistent at the same time.

Atiyah brought a max gust of 124 km/hr in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wise man; relieved to hear it ;) I gather the Irish Sea is not good at such times. ( Understatement!) Last sea crossing I ever made ( apart from ferries here) was the North Sea from Scandinavia in a storm.. Never again.

Thank you Grace! I don't mind a rough crossing but 'Very Rough' to 'High' would be a bit uncomfortable I would imagine. All the crossings are cancelled today anyway so glad made the decision last night.

I can only imagine what a North Sea crossing would be like....

497537.png

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    Surprised there was no rain warning for Sligo. Haven’t seen that much rain in a small time this winter.

I thought the same this morning. I knew was a wind warning but should have been a rain one too. Serious amount of rain fell. Roads were all flooded this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fitzo123 wrote: »

hmmm there was one issued yesterday:
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for South Donegal, Leitrim and parts of Sligo
    30 to 50 mm of rain possible
    Valid: 20:00 Thursday 12/12/2019 to 20:00 Friday 13/12/2019
    Issued: 11:00 Thursday 12/12/2019

Thank you Grace! I don't mind a rough crossing but 'Very Rough' to 'High' would be a bit uncomfortable I would imagine. All the crossings are cancelled today anyway so glad made the decision last night.

I can only imagine what a North Sea crossing would be like....

I was so ill. and it was a long crossing, that when we docked they would not let me off until I saw the port doctor as there had been a typhoid scare.

You did right but it is so good to be vindicated. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was very windy here near Tralee overnight. Was gusting well over 70 km/h for hours and got a top gust of 93 km/h .

Advertisement