Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Strip Light Kit advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Amazon link?
    Probably wouldn't spend too much on it as the fad will wear off after a month, I mean strip lighting can be nice but for a bedroom nope

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'd probably look at the Philips hue system tbh, save you a whole heap of time moving the strips around because they don't look nice there or there or there.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'd probably look at the Philips hue system tbh, save you a whole heap of time moving the strips around because they don't look nice there or there or there.

I think that's why they want the strip lights, to get all arty and stick them on shelves and around their desks. I'm just happy they don't want Iphones or gaming systems this year:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

SonNo.1 has them as supplementary lighting in his bedroom - a dark, miserable hole, built and decorated to his spec. He finally got fed up having to use a torch to find stuff on his shelves (the three uplighters were next to useless coz the deep purple ceiling soaks up more light than they give out!). Anyway, after a tour of all the local DIY shops, we settled on a cheap 3m strip, bright white, with a simple plug and in-line switch. No fancy app, no choosing the colour ... and no problems. Completely changed the ambiance in the room, and there's no question of taking them out.

Based on that experience, I subsequently bought similar three cheap-and-cheerful sets, 15m/45€ altogether for the stairs and landing, wired to a PIR & sound-activated sensor. Have had nothing but admiration from everyone who knew the stairwell in its previous unlit state. Have also got to be a dab hand at cutting and re-joining the strips regardless of what it says on the packet.

When I was checking out kits for the stairs, I was initially enticed by the ones that allowed you to change the colours, but the more I played with them in the shops, the more I realised that all that gimmickry required more bits (like the remote control) that'd always be in the wrong place, and chances are the light would end up being left on the one colour all the time anyway. Much simpler to buy plain white and let the room dictate the colour. SonNo.1's lights give a slightly pink hue, bounced off his crimson and dark oak shelves; the stairs give a warm white bounced off the pale oak of the stair treads. The actual LEDs are the same colour on both strips.

SonNo.1 has them as supplementary lighting in his bedroom - a dark, miserable hole, built and decorated to his spec. He finally got fed up having to use a torch to find stuff on his shelves (the three uplighters were next to useless coz the deep purple ceiling soaks up more light than they give out!). Anyway, after a tour of all the local DIY shops, we settled on a cheap 3m strip, bright white, with a simple plug and in-line switch. No fancy app, no choosing the colour ... and no problems. Completely changed the ambiance in the room, and there's no question of taking them out.

Based on that experience, I subsequently bought similar three cheap-and-cheerful sets, 15m/45€ altogether for the stairs and landing, wired to a PIR & sound-activated sensor. Have had nothing but admiration from everyone who knew the stairwell in its previous unlit state. Have also got to be a dab hand at cutting and re-joining the strips regardless of what it says on the packet.

When I was checking out kits for the stairs, I was initially enticed by the ones that allowed you to change the colours, but the more I played with them in the shops, the more I realised that all that gimmickry required more bits (like the remote control) that'd always be in the wrong place, and chances are the light would end up being left on the one colour all the time anyway. Much simpler to buy plain white and let the room dictate the colour. SonNo.1's lights give a slightly pink hue, bounced off his crimson and dark oak shelves; the stairs give a warm white bounced off the pale oak of the stair treads. The actual LEDs are the same colour on both strips.

Can I ask make of set and where you bought them here? Thanks for all your info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Can I ask make of set and where you bought them here? Thanks for all your info.

My "here" probably isn't the same as yours, so not sure the info will be of any help, but they were these own-brand from Leroy Merlin.

I see they've gone up in price by 90cts :eek: ... but now there's also a multicolour strip available for the same price.

My "here" probably isn't the same as yours, so not sure the info will be of any help, but they were these own-brand from Leroy Merlin.

I see they've gone up in price by 90cts :eek: ... but now there's also a multicolour strip available for the same price.

I went ahead and ordered some on Amazon for 26 stg, it won't break the bank if they aren't great. If they work out well I just might go LED mad around the house....they can look great.
    Thanks for all the info.

Advertisement