Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat....stains on bed

• 06-12-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

As the title says- when our cat sleeps on a bed often she leaves stains- like butt leakage on the bed. Last night she jumped up and dragged her butt across the bed.

Why is she doing this? Anything we can do to stop/reduce this.

I know the obvious thing is make her sleep somewhere else but that isn't going to happen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

The butt dragging is very often due to worms but I am not a vet and so a trip to yours is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Thanks, she was only wormed last week, so it might be that working. She was a little over due being wormed so I'll keep an eye on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

That's almost definitely your problem so.

Give it a week to clear up and if it doesn't then contact the vet.

Sounds like anal glands to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sounds like anal glands to me.

Was thinking the same. I don't know anything about cats but this behaviour in dogs (and corresponding leakage) is down to blocked/full anal sacs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Had a cat doing the same before and yep, was anal glands. Brought her to the vet to have them expressed, she was less than impressed, but haven’t had problems since!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If her rear end isnt messy/dirty and shes trying to clean it, then I would suggest anal glands too.
    My cats will do this when their poop was soft for whatever reason, and its messed up the fur around their rear end :o Also check for dingleberries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As the title says- when our cat sleeps on a bed often she leaves stains- like butt leakage on the bed. Last night she jumped up and dragged her butt across the bed.

Why is she doing this? Anything we can do to stop/reduce this.

I know the obvious thing is make her sleep somewhere else but that isn't going to happen

Hoping it gets sorted but could you drape a spare older sheet atop the bed at night? Mine leap up after racing in from the muddy outdoors. Saves the good bedspread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Ya, I need to look for a new one, as the blankets we have are smaller ones (pennys) and she sleeps on the uncovered parts then. She's a brat!
    Thanks all. She seems to have put on weight over the last week or so, so I guess there was a bit of a worm issue too.

Anal glands- is that something that needs to be done regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Ya, I need to look for a new one, as the blankets we have are smaller ones (pennys) and she sleeps on the uncovered parts then. She's a brat!
    Thanks all. She seems to have put on weight over the last week or so, so I guess there was a bit of a worm issue too.

Anal glands- is that something that needs to be done regularly?

Sometimes it is, sometimes it’s just a once off. More common in dogs than in cats. Peach has had to have hers done twice in about 3 years whereas I know some dogs need it done every two weeks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement