Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

HIRLAM 18Z showing some very high mean wind speeds especially around 17.00 - 18.00 with mean wind speeds of 100 105 km/h on the coast of Kerry and probably parts of Clare . Getting into Violent Storm territory off the coast or on the coast there.

Model just runs to 18.00 atm.

anim_xgg0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's possible that there are different forecasters working on these different outlets, which would result in different outcomes.

I think that Met Eireann should not issue these very specific 'warnings' so early, because they are always going to change closer the time. Not only would this help in giving a more accurate warning, but it would prevent parasitical journalists from generating hyped-up stories in order to generate ad revenue.

Disagree

What use is a warning 24 hours out. Useful to save my soul but not to save or change my business event.

In the prediction of a mature low like this theres large confidence its gonna be windy for all.

Let people know that.

It's a forecast not gospel.

Theres no value updating the forecast when things are happening

It might save face but of no benefit to anybody bar the face

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

anim_zvy3.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5841758

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Looking pretty rough on the icon alright! Interesting how the mountains act like a barrier around macroom

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Anything the ICON can do the ARPEGE can do better !

Bit all over the place where the strongest winds are going to be on this run but the most important thing is showing consistent high winds. Some very tight gradients showing up.

anim_bkr4.gif

anim_vft9.gif

arpegeuk-52-59-0_gbh0.png

• Advertisement

Conditions there for convection producing big squally showers after the front goes through. Possibly cold enough for hail showers also .

A fair wind chill also.

anim_pwa2.gif

arpegeuk-16-39-0_glm4.png

diaMUX2.png

anim_wdg8.gif

arpegeuk-43-41-0_kjv9.png

arpegeuk-25-54-0_ybx4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Always look forward to Meteorites excellent analysis on Impending storms.

Always look forward to Meteorites excellent analysis on Impending storms.

Oh, and I of yours and everyone else also !

What do ye think. What is the gut feeling on this.

Looks like it is going to be one rough day I reckon. High end Orange warnings, possibly more counties coming into the Orange warning category, possibly some counties getting red warnings.

Would think there are going to be some massive squally showers with huge dangerous and possibly damaging gusts of wind.

Im thinking strong possibility of multiple power outages including myself.

What do ye reckon?

Overdoing it ?

ECM 18Z Rapid coming out soon , might stay up to see what it has. Get a better perspective of where this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭endainoz

Looks like it is going to be one rough day I reckon. High end Orange warnings, possibly more counties coming into the Orange warning category, possibly some counties getting red warnings.

Would think there are going to be some massive squally showers with huge dangerous and possibly damaging gusts of wind.

What do ye reckon?

Overdoing it ?

ECM 18Z Rapid coming out soon , might stay up to see what it has. Get a better perspective of where this is going.

Definitely not overdoing it anyway. I'll be spending some of tomorrow securing shed doors and the like. Those models look close to red territory for me in coastal Clare, have to say I'm looking forward to it though, we've been a bit deprived of storms so far this winter! Do we have to wait long for that model to come out?

endainoz wrote: »
    Definitely not overdoing it anyway. I'll be spending some of tomorrow securing shed doors and the like. Those models look close to red territory for me in coastal Clare, have to say I'm looking forward to it though, we've been a bit deprived of storms so far this winter! Do we have to wait long for that model to come out?

Dont think it will be out fully for another 40 / 50mins .

• Advertisement

ECM 18Z

wuKJEKZ.png

TRYYO2q.png

umUB4zV.png

lQQ398k.png

He6zKAD.png

zRjNftW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

What do ye reckon?

Overdoing it ?

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!!

A little more sheltered from this angle in Kinsale thankfully. Still prepping for electricity outage. Models all seem to be increasing strength.. It will be wild out west!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I reckon after a fairly benign last two months we are due something and it looks like this will pack a serious punch.

I have to actually travel up to Dublin Sunday afternoon which is looking like it could be quite an interesting journey.

ECM 18C certainly straying into Red Warning territory in Atlantic coastal counties.

Yjsh94N.png

jBxOPdL.png

jDdLXyv.png

hHiqvTS.png

JLTNuzx.png

COMIN ATIYAH!

IV put extra cable ties on all the outdoor Christmas lighting,
    I hope my lights survive.

RkRmGhn.png

sjMvvYD.png

RkRmGhn.png

sjMvvYD.png

They are ferocious gusts for inland Ireland if they were to occur!

Surely the ECM isn't over doing it at this time scale, it's usually the most Conservative, if it were still showing this tomorrow I'd be seriously getting prepared inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's looking hairy for West Clare, certainly worth keeping an eye on.

They are ferocious gusts for inland Ireland if they were to occur!

They sure are, high ground getting the strongest winds. Usually the speeds in the bold white are mountain or hill tops as in the Galteemore below matching the 145 km/h gusts. Strong winds in the windward side of it.

h6ifKv7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Looking stronger this morning. It’ll pack a good punch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Feck it have booked Santa visit out in the woods for tomorrow evening. Think I’ll have to let my money go, because no way I’m taking small kids into woods with damaging gusts around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

screamer wrote: »
    Feck it have booked Santa visit out in the woods for tomorrow evening. Think I’ll have to let my money go, because no way I’m taking small kids into woods with damaging gusts around us.

If a red warning is issued would they have to cancel it and you would get your money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If a red warning is issued would they have to cancel it and you would get your money back?

I doubt it. These events can’t usually afford to refund.

ECM and ARPERGE the most consistent and showing the highest winds atm. ICON has drifted the very highest winds off the coast.

Gusting to 130km/h and very possible to 140km/h and might get higher on a few exposed coastal stations in the W.

Thinking probably seeing Orange for much of the country and probably red warnings in some Atlantic coastal counties.

arpegeuk-52-57-0_iwp4.png

anim_qop9.gif

FCQpR6w.png

LAC2OfU.png

QzEa3e8.png

QzEa3e8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Meteorite58,what time do u think those red warnings would kick in if they were to go red?

Meteorite58,what time do u think those red warnings would kick in if they were to go red?

Probably from about 14.00 or 15.00

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looking at the met app, it looks like it's been downgraded to a yellow for the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Warnings being updated. Still could be early for a red warning to be posted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So why take the Atlantic coast counties off orange?
    This is the latest warning issued at 8 this morning.
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland
    UPDATE: Ahead of Storm Atiyah ( Ah-tee-ya)

West to southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h in places this evening, tonight and Sunday.

Valid: Saturday 07 December 2019 19:00 to Sunday 08 December 2019 13:00

Issued: Saturday 07 December 2019 08:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

flazio wrote: »
    So why take the Atlantic coast counties off orange?
    This is the latest warning issued at 8 this morning.

Being amended. More counties likely to go orange with the possibility of a red warning for some counties.

Advertisement