Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-12-2019, 23:21   #226
kk.man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryirl View Post
you know this environmental thing is some joke.. Im living within an asses roar of three yes three factories.. Im sending my cattle 80 odd miles away like a good few of the neighbours and one had to send his 120 miles to get them killed.. no choice in it as local fatories wouldnt take them or were cutting weights.. What is the carbon footprint of all that.. and the poor auld cow gets the blame when she farts.. FFS
That should be another highlight the Beef Plan could make. Name and shame them... See how they like that.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2019, 11:40   #227
Water John

Farmers can use the science to their advantage. The time limited effect of methane is a key factor. Also the sequestering of carbon by soil via plants is another.
14-12-2019, 15:49   #228
Masifxx

Protests

Are the IFA anywhere today?
14-12-2019, 17:14   #229
gerryirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masifxx View Post
I heard they were picketing a butcher shop on the Aron Island today
14-12-2019, 21:55   #230
wrangler

Quote:
I heard they were picketing a butcher shop on the Aron Island today
Another joke for you

Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

The letter refers to Irish farmers “force-feeding” cattle to reach under-30-month targets for beef. It was sent to Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Musgraves, Dunnes, Sainsbury’s and Asda.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.

Discuss
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2019, 22:06   #231
Jjameson

Irish under 16 month bulls, 7 months with mammy, 9 months eating intensive maizemeal based diet. Grass fed image?

All I see wrong about the above is “force feeding”.
We farmers know what he means but urbanites may take it literally!
(4) thanks from:
14-12-2019, 22:16   #232
wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjameson View Post
Irish under 16 month bulls, 7 months with mammy, 9 months eating intensive maizemeal based diet. Grass fed image?

Stupid thing to do, It'll put a question mark over every under 30mth animal.
Frankly, I'm not surprised at it, they've been doing it all year, who do they think is buying their weanlings only farmers that are going to ''force feed'' cattle
Have you read the complete letter that was sent.
(2) thanks from:
14-12-2019, 23:22   #233
gerryirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
Another joke for you

Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

The letter refers to Irish farmers “force-feeding” cattle to reach under-30-month targets for beef. It was sent to Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Musgraves, Dunnes, Sainsbury’s and Asda.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.

Discuss

Discuss ... jasus I dont know... amm I was "force fed" when I was younger but I still look like a friesian

Last edited by gerryirl; 14-12-2019 at 23:26.
14-12-2019, 23:29   #234
wrangler

Quote:
Discuss ... jasus I dont know... amm I was "force fed" when I was younger but I still look like a friesian
Lucky you, we go on holidays with a couple and I physically couldn't eat what he eats and he too is a friesian ....... no justice
Advertisement
14-12-2019, 23:39   #235
wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjameson View Post

French sheep only have to on grass about 3mth to be ''grass fed ''
15-12-2019, 00:14   #236
Masifxx

the beem money came this week. Badly needed for Chrismass here. A lot of this money came from Brusels its very important IFA have an office over there.
15-12-2019, 00:59   #237
MickeyShtyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masifxx View Post
They were supposed to be and 2mora too.
15-12-2019, 10:51   #238
jaymla627

Quote:
Another joke for you

Discuss
He's not telling any lies to be fair
Thanks from:
15-12-2019, 11:00   #239
MIKEKC

Quote:
you know this environmental thing is some joke.. Im living within an asses roar of three yes three factories.. Im sending my cattle 80 odd miles away like a good few of the neighbours and one had to send his 120 miles to get them killed.. no choice in it as local fatories wouldnt take them or were cutting weights.. What is the carbon footprint of all that.. and the poor auld cow gets the blame when she farts.. FFS
Any hope of a bit more information?
15-12-2019, 11:09   #240
MIKEKC

Quote:
Another joke for you

[B]Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.[/B

Discuss
Crazy thing to do
Talk about cutting your own throat. If the public think that Bord Bia are misleading people how can anyone have faith in our product. Someone said recently that if the 30 month rule was removed you would have a glut in the autumn. As the autumn is traditionally the busiest time this would surely lead to another drop in price

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion