Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plans for the turkey, ham or something else.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

69 quid???? Does that include the cost of the oven they cooked it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

L1011 wrote: »
    69 quid???? Does that include the cost of the oven they cooked it in?

You should see how much the local deli charges for a cooked ham. I think it's about €50 for half the size of these.

We've got two smoked hams this year.(One will be halved and frozen.)

One is 6.7 kg and the other is 7kg.

Turkey ordered at supervalu this year. We've had a good run with meat there this year so we decided to give them a try,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

You should see how much the local deli charges for a cooked ham. I think it's about €50 for half the size of these.

Turkey ordered at supervalu this year. We've had a good run with meat there this year so we decided to give them a try,

Yes I am finding Supervalu meet good too
    I am going to get a small piece of Beef off Supervalu we are doing that plus Turkey and Ham from our Butcher which also reminds me I have to order the Turkey and Ham this week

I’d never buy a ready cooked ham. I much prefer cook my own Christmas Eve. Boil first and finish with pineapple, cloves and brown sugar in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’d never buy a ready cooked ham. I much prefer cook my own Christmas Eve. Boil first and finish with pineapple, cloves and brown sugar in the oven.

We generally just get a smoked ham and cook it ourselves.
    I shared the pre cooked hams were there because some people said they were interested in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Any advice feedback about hams
    I normally buy two small ones from lidl and boil one Christmas Day and one for Stephens Day
    We are not going to do Lidl ham this year

We are going to get a ham from our Butcher I was thinking of buying a cooked ham or what would anyone suggest or even a recipe for a ham please thanks

Also do you cook your hams Christmas Eve

Thanks in advance

SarahLil wrote: »
    Any advice feedback about hams
    I normally buy two small ones from lidl and boil one Christmas Day and one for Stephens Day
    We are not going to do Lidl ham this year

We are going to get a ham from our Butcher I was thinking of buying a cooked ham or what would anyone suggest or even a recipe for a ham please thanks

Also do you cook your hams Christmas Eve

Thanks in advance

I find no difference between the local butchers or supermarket hams. I soak mine overnight the night before Christmas Eve. Boil it as per instructions Christmas Eve morning. Allow cool enough to remove rind carefully. Stud with cloves. Cover with fresh sliced pineapple and brown sugar. Bake in oven for half an hour until golden. I serve that day with boiled spuds, turnip and gravy. Then serve either reheated or cold over the next two days as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

I get a piece of ham for about 20 euro as I’m the only real ham eater in the house. I score the fat and pop it into the slow cooker with a bit of coke on low from about 9am. Top up the coke as the day goes on and it pretty much looks after itself. Frees up the oven and can be put anywhere there’s a plug.... and it was my Christmas present a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

The last few years I’ve used Phil Vickerys turkey recipe and you cannot go wrong with it.
    Cooked in about 2.5hrs(depending on size) and so moist!

https://vickery.tv/gluten-free/gluten-free-recipes/item/phil-s-perfect-roast-turkey

Make sure to tie the legs so they don’t open during cooking and poke through the sealed tinfoil as the you need to keep the steam in there for this recipe to work properly.
    Can’t fault this recipe, wouldn’t use any other now and I’ve tried them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I always get my ham in our butchers, it's my favourite bit of the Christmas dinner along with the sausage meat stuffing. I steep mine overnight, then boil in cider (cheapest of the cheap, not Bulmers), then remove fat, score, stud with cloves, honey mustard glaze and bake the bugger for half an hour :D Mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Has anyone soaked the turkey before? I did it as per Nigella one year - water, oranges, cinnamon, cloves and I can't remember what else. Made absolutely no difference whatsoever :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I get a small whole turkey in Aldi each year. I slow cook it very low overnight till lunchtime and turn it up for its final 30 mins to crisp it. Using this method only a few spoons of liquid come out of the turkey during cooking. I usually push a little butter and thyme under the skin of the breasts.

Meat thermometer required to do this method safely, and you can't stuff the cavity either . But the end result is a perfectly cooked turkey that's moist and full of flavour . Another big advantage of this method is that there is very little chance of over cooking and you don't need to watch it closely at all.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Our local butcher does a "small turkey and half ham" deal for about €50, so we get that. Half ham is plenty big for us, and his definition of a "small" turkey is something akin to an ostrich. Last year's was 17lb!!

I brine mine for 24 hours, then cook in the oven upside down and turn it right side up for the last hour. It always turns out perfectly juicy, I do think the brining/upside down combo is the best way to keep it from going dry.

This is the recipe I use for the brine:

https://youtu.be/OxXLzNlG1hM

I use ground cinnamon and the sticks as well, same with the all spice and I use dried sage because it's hard to get fresh. Oh and the knorr stock pots instead of veg concentrate paste.

I soak the ham overnight to get the salt out, and I'd stick a few veg and herbs in the soak water too, just for flavour. Then it's done in the oven with cloves and a honey mustard glaze. I'm not crazy about ham, but I love cloves!

Toots wrote: »
    Our local butcher does a "small turkey and half ham" deal for about €50, so we get that. Half ham is plenty big for us, and his definition of a "small" turkey is something akin to an ostrich. Last year's was 17lb!!

Where is this butcher - that's a cracking deal! Last year, my butcher wanted over 100euro for half a ham, an average size turkey & a few rolls of sausage meat. I had to cancel the turkey - couldn't justify the cost of it even though I would have preferred to get it off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Goose here.this year it will be full goose and stuffing and a small turkey boned and rolled with a small ham.
    Carving knife will be left plugged in and let people take what they want.
    A feed of floury golden wonders and a lock of carrots.
    And gravy.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Where is this butcher - that's a cracking deal! Last year, my butcher wanted over 100euro for half a ham, an average size turkey & a few rolls of sausage meat. I had to cancel the turkey - couldn't justify the cost of it even though I would have preferred to get it off him.

It's the Scarlet Heiffer in Leopardstown (Ballyogan)

I haven't ordered this year's turkey yet so I hope he still does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Oh maryanne, I might try pineapples this yr. Like you I cook the ham on Christmas eve....it used to be tradition to have ham sandwiches after midnight mass :) that was in my mams.

I know it depends on weight. But for frozen turkey what would the ballpark time for defrosting be?

For the price alone I'd love to get a frozen one, but we don't have a big freezer to store it and I'm a nervous nelly wouldn't risk leaving it until last minute to buy it....though I have been in dunnes on the 27th and they still had turkeys left.

Oh maryanne, I might try pineapples this yr. Like you I cook the ham on Christmas eve....it used to be tradition to have ham sandwiches after midnight mass :) that was in my mams.

I know it depends on weight. But for frozen turkey what would the ballpark time for defrosting be?

For the price alone I'd love to get a frozen one, but we don't have a big freezer to store it and I'm a nervous nelly wouldn't risk leaving it until last minute to buy it....though I have been in dunnes on the 27th and they still had turkeys left.

I take the turkey out of the freezer Christmas Eve and leave it defrost in the sink. A Turkey crown might suit you. It should fit into a freezer with drawers.

I take the turkey out of the freezer Christmas Eve and leave it defrost in the sink. A Turkey crown might suit you. It should fit into a freezer with drawers.

Oh that brings back memories :)

Yeah I usually get the Crown. I'm hosting Christmas and Stephens day so not the year to chance it really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Load of blx. Have what you like. Turkey leaves me cold, and I do understand that there is knack to cooking it that involves hours of cooking and resting and all that. But I do not like it much. It is just tradition for the sake of it. As for ham, well yes it is nice and juicy and that's all it is.

For a big family gathering OK, the T and H are probably obligatory.

But for a small gathering it is poached salmon with Hollandaise (bought) sauce, and all the usual shyte apart from the stuffing and wind inducing Brussels Sprouts too!

Each to their own. Enjoy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Load of blx. Have what you like. Turkey leaves me cold, and I do understand that there is knack to cooking it that involves hours of cooking and resting and all that. But I do not like it much. It is just tradition for the sake of it. As for ham, well yes it is nice and juicy and that's all it is.

For a big family gathering OK, the T and H are probably obligatory.

But for a small gathering it is poached salmon with Hollandaise (bought) sauce, and all the usual shyte apart from the stuffing and wind inducing Brussels Sprouts too!

Each to their own. Enjoy anyway.

It’s not traditional though.
    Old turkey burkey is a yanky invader.
    They’re fierce delicate fcukers to rear aswell,always finding new ways to die.
    You can intensive rear them indoors and medicate them but free range they are a disaster.
    Goose is the traditional Irish Christmas dinner and I’ll be having it here until the day I keel over and die.
    Geese are fierce easy to rear.you can’t beat a good embden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Just myself the wife and 6 year old, so we go with turkey crown as herself doesn't feel it's Xmas without it and I'm not too pushed either way. Then a leg of lamb which is the real treat and we all love it. Plenty leftover to share when family visit for Stephens day dinner.

Love this time of year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

We are a family of turkey haters, so we're having boned and rolled chicken with sage, onion and sausage stuffing, honey & mustard baked ham & of course, the non-negotiable spiced beef.

It'll be served with creamed mash, golden roasties cooked in goose fat, & potato gratin. Veggies will be asparagus, brocolli & green beans in a very light pesto oil with parmesan flakes, mashed carrott & parsnip, brussels sprouts with a balsamic glaze, yorkshire puddings, buttered baby carrots, & cranberry sauce.

Not sure what we're doing for dessert yet, we may well not bother because everyone was too full for it last year.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    We are a family of turkey haters, so we're having boned and rolled chicken with sage, onion and sausage stuffing, honey & mustard baked ham & of course, the non-negotiable spiced beef.

It'll be served with creamed mash, golden roasties cooked in goose fat, & potato gratin. Veggies will be asparagus, brocolli & green beans in a very light pesto oil with parmesan flakes, mashed carrott & parsnip, brussels sprouts with a balsamic glaze, yorkshire puddings, buttered baby carrots, & cranberry sauce.

Not sure what we're doing for dessert yet, we may well not bother because everyone was too full for it last year.

I eat about 5% of all that but I still kinda want to come to yours for dinner sounds absolutely delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Room for one more??

Sounds like an amazing dinner! Love a good yorkshire pudding!

I find that we always end up doing the dishes and then have dessert - time to allow the dinner to start digesting first!

I find that we always end up doing the dishes and then have dessert - time to allow the dinner to start digesting first!

Last year we had about 45 minutes between courses. Tidied up a bit, opened presents etc. Seemed to go down well so will most likely do the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I eat about 5% of all that but I still kinda want to come to yours for dinner sounds absolutely delish!
    TRS30 wrote: »
    Room for one more??

Thanks gang! I can't take credit for the meats as I won't be cooking them, but I'll be doing the potatos and sides.
    I eat a clean diet all year round, and I'd have brocolli/asparagus etc. twice a day during a normal week.
    Thats why I have to make the veggies differently and more decadently for the big day, otherwise it feels like the bog standard lunch/dinner I have 5 days a week!
    The greens with parmesan in particular are divine, my mouth is already watering thinking about it :o

Went into my butchers last night & he has convinced me to forgo a full turkey and just go with the breast. Hoping it doesn't go terribly wrong!

Went into my butchers last night & he has convinced me to forgo a full turkey and just go with the breast. Hoping it doesn't go terribly wrong!

Was at a turkey demo in a high street butchers (fund raiser for school) and he recommended a bronze turkey. Said it was tastier (subjective I know) and cooked quicker. Also said to cook it upside down, i.e. breast down. He also showed how they take the legs off, clean them out and wrap them round some stuff to cook separately.

My Mum orders the meats so have suggested all the above to her so will see what she goes with!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Does cooking it breast down not make it flat? :pac:

Advertisement