Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 5 series average insurance costs

Options
  • 24-11-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm looking at the BMW 5 series 2 litre diesel v the 2.5 litre diesel
    One is insurance group 31 and the other group 35
    I want to know what is the average insurance/difference costs?
    I could check it up on the internet but it won't give me a quote as I am 26 and I crashed a few years ago
    I'm not planning on getting insured now as I'm too young, just wondering what is the average difference?
    Also the 2.5 diesel is usually cheaper to buy and the newer ones 2010 I think onwards have low road tax.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you that as insurance costs are so specific to the person being insured and their driving experience, location, etc. There are just too many variables to give any sort of accurate cost difference. Take example regs of each on the likes of donedeal and ring insurance companies for quotes, forget about online quotes are they are only designed for generic quoting of low risk drivers and average cars.

BTW the 525d would be 3.0 litre from 2010 onwards with the F10 model change that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭93gavinmoran93

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you that as insurance costs are so specific to the person being insured and their driving experience, location, etc. There are just too many variables to give any sort of accurate cost difference. Take example regs of each on the likes of donedeal and ring insurance companies for quotes, forget about online quotes are they are only designed for generic quoting of low risk drivers and average cars.

BTW the 525d would be 3.0 litre from 2010 onwards with the F10 model change that year.
    Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

FWIW - I went from a 520d to a 530d and my insurance went up about €200 but I'm in my 40s.

bazz26 wrote: »
    FWIW - I went from a 520d to a 530d and my insurance went up about €200 but I'm in my 40s.

That sounds class I'm a long way off that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

My cars have all been owned through different eras of Insurances as the industry lunged from one crisis to the next. I have also done some actuarial exams as I was working in life insurance and pensions and considered it for my future, although I have since left the industry.

Let me tell you, the premiums are certainly not based solely on risk, I'm sure the motor insurance actuaries are pulling their hair out and what management decide to charge. They are based on profit and what they think they can get from each customer. Check out dual pricing scandal at the moment for example.

Have had the following BMWs 1 x e36 318is, 2 x e46 318,2 x e39 525i and a 530i, an e60 523i, an alfa 156, a BMW 530d f10 and now an Audi a6 and apart from first car I haven't paid over 1000 euro for insurance until I got a drink drive conviction and then it was about 2000 a year after my ban. Was advised a micra would be 1750 but I ploughed on and got a 525i e39 instead.

It's now 750 for the year for 2 of us but would you believe I got my 24 year old fiance on my insurance for an e60 523i on a provisional licence for 70 quid or something on top of my premium, no change then to move to a 530d a few months later. She had never driven a car in her life up to that point and I thought her to drive, from scratch, in a 6 cylinder, automatic 2.5 petrol almost 200bhp that is as big as any car on the road. If that wasn't a massive risk I don't know what was. Then onto a 250 bhp 530d they didn't care. Then she passed test and somehow got a quote for under 1700 for herself on a 141 A6 with 1 years named experience.

Others wanted 4 grand. Moral of the story, nobody can tell you what you'll pay. Some people are getting ripped off left right and centre, I shop around aggressively and get a huge variation in quotes, some insurers really want your business at certain times others just don't.

• Advertisement

My cars have all been owned through different eras of Insurances as the industry lunged from one crisis to the next. I have also done some actuarial exams as I was working in life insurance and pensions and considered it for my future, although I have since left the industry.

Let me tell you, the premiums are certainly not based solely on risk, I'm sure the motor insurance actuaries are pulling their hair out and what management decide to charge. They are based on profit and what they think they can get from each customer. Check out dual pricing scandal at the moment for example.

Have had the following BMWs 1 x e36 318is, 2 x e46 318,2 x e39 525i and a 530i, an e60 523i, an alfa 156, a BMW 530d f10 and now an Audi a6 and apart from first car I haven't paid over 1000 euro for insurance until I got a drink drive conviction and then it was about 2000 a year after my ban. Was advised a micra would be 1750 but I ploughed on and got a 525i e39 instead.

It's now 750 for the year for 2 of us but would you believe I got my 24 year old fiance on my insurance for an e60 523i on a provisional licence for 70 quid or something on top of my premium, no change then to move to a 530d a few months later. She had never driven a car in her life up to that point and I thought her to drive, from scratch, in a 6 cylinder, automatic 2.5 petrol almost 200bhp that is as big as any car on the road. If that wasn't a massive risk I don't know what was. Then onto a 250 bhp 530d they didn't care. Then she passed test and somehow got a quote for under 1700 for herself on a 141 A6 with 1 years named experience.

Others wanted 4 grand. Moral of the story, nobody can tell you what you'll pay. Some people are getting ripped off left right and centre, I shop around aggressively and get a huge variation in quotes, some insurers really want your business at certain times others just don't.

That's mad man, I can't believe you were getting it that cheap, do you just ring them up and keep giving different number plates to shop around?

That's mad man, I can't believe you were getting it that cheap, do you just ring them up and keep giving different number plates to shop around?

No, the number plate of the car I was insuring only. I've worked in insurance and know the way insurers like to spread their risk over different ages, cars, areas, genders, occupations, driving history and other factors and someone will, at that point in time, want to insure someone with your profile and you'll get lucky. They all want some high risk high premium and low risk low premium and everything in between you just have to find the ones that are looking for you for want of a better phrase.
    Ring them all, ring a selection of brokers, play them off against each other, tell them you've slightly better quotes than you actually have and see what they can do.

No, the number plate of the car I was insuring only. I've worked in insurance and know the way insurers like to spread their risk over different ages, cars, areas, genders, occupations, driving history and other factors and someone will, at that point in time, want to insure someone with your profile and you'll get lucky. They all want some high risk high premium and low risk low premium and everything in between you just have to find the ones that are looking for you for want of a better phrase.
    Ring them all, ring a selection of brokers, play them off against each other, tell them you've slightly better quotes than you actually have and see what they can do.

Cool man I'll try. What do you mean your insuring the number plate only? Sorry I'm clueless

Cool man I'll try. What do you mean your insuring the number plate only? Sorry I'm clueless

If they ask the reg I just tell them the reg of my car, you mentioned using different reg numbers to shop around, I don't do this.

If they ask the reg I just tell them the reg of my car, you mentioned using different reg numbers to shop around, I don't do this.

Cool man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭younggalway

Im 26 with 4 years no claims, no points etc. I was checking what my insurance might go up by on a range of cars in recent weeks, more so out of interest. I checked online with Liberty (current insurer) and also called them and apparently I cant get insured on a 2015 Bmw 520d/ 2015 C220d or Bmw 320d until I'm 30. I was told they wont quote me until I'm 30 on these cars which I find to be mad. Im midway through my policy, hypothetically if I had bought any of these cars then rang to transfer the insurance I would have been fcecked essentially. Keep in mind Im currently insured on a 191 Leon, albeit a 1.5tsi for less than e500. Funnilly enough if I put in a quote for an E220 diesel coupe my premium doubles but at least I get a quote.

It really does depend on insurers as there seems to be a mad variance in what one will insure compared to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Im 26 with 4 years no claims, no points etc. I was checking what my insurance might go up by on a range of cars in recent weeks, more so out of interest. I checked online with Liberty (current insurer) and also called them and apparently I cant get insured on a 2015 Bmw 520d/ 2015 C220d or Bmw 320d until I'm 30. I was told they wont quote me until I'm 30 on these cars which I find to be mad. Im midway through my policy, hypothetically if I had bought any of these cars then rang to transfer the insurance I would have been fcecked essentially. Keep in mind Im currently insured on a 191 Leon, albeit a 1.5tsi for less than e500. Funnilly enough if I put in a quote for an E220 diesel coupe my premium doubles but at least I get a quote.

It really does depend on insurers as there seems to be a mad variance in what one will insure compared to another.

In the UK I had to take my wife off my insurance when I bought a 330.
    Shopped around and a lot of companies were same
    She was 29
    Fine to put back on when she turned 30

In the UK I had to take my wife off my insurance when I bought a 330.
    Shopped around and a lot of companies were same
    She was 29
    Fine to put back on when she turned 30

FBD is my insurance company, was messing around with 640d quotes last week and it went up a bit alright but still very affordable.
    That's me in my 30s and a 25 year old named driver with less than a years experience, try them. Mine is through an post but FBD are the underwriters

It really does depend on insurers as there seems to be a mad variance in what one will insure compared to another.[/quote

Hmm it's funny...
    Sound for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I had had no problems getting an online quote on an e90 320d with liberty a few weeks back and I'm in my 20s still.

There's no secret lads, it's just make loads and loads of calls. Put aside a bit of time each day coming up to the time you are buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I know a few lads who got 30% cheaper quotes from It's for Women (its not by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭younggalway

I had had no problems getting an online quote on an e90 320d with liberty a few weeks back and I'm in my 20s still.

It may be something to do with insurance groups? I know if I look for a quote online for an F30 it tells me they are unable to give a quote. Perhaps the e90 is a lower group, I was actually insured on a 318i e90 when I was 22 and has no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

It may be something to do with insurance groups? I know if I look for a quote online for an F30 it tells me they are unable to give a quote. Perhaps the e90 is a lower group, I was actually insured on a 318i e90 when I was 22 and has no issues.

Zurich refused to insure the aul fella who's 50 on a e90 318i when he was looking at one so when he got the 320d he didn't bother to ask and just cancelled his policy and went elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement