Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where are you going for your honeymoon?

Options
  • 10-10-2019 2:27pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, where are you going for your honeymoon (or where did you go for your honeymoon)?

We're hoping to take 2.5-3 weeks off the year after our wedding for our honeymoon, we haven't done a huge amount of research yet but we were thinking of maybe doing Thailand (and possibly a bit of time in Vietnam as well). I've also heard that Mauritius is amazing so we might look into that as another option too.

I would love to hear what other people did or are doing for theirs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

We are planning to go to Vegas and Hawaii :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cancun, Mexico. High-end luxurious all-inclusive 5* hotel for two weeks. Absolutely perfect, wouldn’t have changed a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

5 nights in NYC & 10 nights in all-inclusive resort in Cancun. Never stayed anywhere like it before or since. Pure laziness! Even with our two kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We got married in Vegas, stayed for 6 days in total and then went on a road trip for another 8 days through Utah and Arizona.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

We done ten day safari in south Africa and 5 days in Mauritius. Was amazing and definitely one in a lifetime trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

11 nights in an all inclusive high end resort in cancun, 4 nights New Orleans and 3 nights in Chicago. Wish I could do it all again and I wouldn’t change a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We went to Mauritius and south Africa too. Would skip Mauritius if I was doing it again. Found it utterly boring, you’re just expected to sit around and be waited on, it felt exploitative of the local people. The resorts are locked down, it felt like a gilded prison, we were really uncomfortable and were not surprised to hear of that young woman murdered a year or so after there. First and last trip to a place like that, Resorts are not our thing at all.

South Africa was stunning, a brilliant holiday. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We got married last October. Spent a week in the West after the Wedding and it was super. I can't recommend the Ice House hotel enough. Fabulous.

We then took February off and went to New Zealand. For over 3 weeks we drove both Islands. We planned it by which parkrun we wanted to do. Normally booked accommodation day by day and it was just brilliant. Finished off with a few days in Sydney. Very exciting.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It'll be a family holiday rather than a honeymoon so we will probably pick somewhere in Europe. Greece is appealing to me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

We went sightseeing in Lisbon for four days and then hopped on a train down to the Algarve for a week. Loved it. If we’d had longer, we’d have maybe taken in Porto or some scenic part of the country and spent longer sunning ourselves too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Alaska in a campervan for 2.5 weeks then a few days in NY. Absolutely amazing once in a lifetime trip.
    Hiking, bear viewing, fishing, panning for gold, natural hot springs, crossing the arctic circle. We went in shoulder season (end of may beginning of june) made it a lot cheaper. We didn't get to see the Northern Lights as it was bright for about 22hrs a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

3 weeks in Thailand. Amazing, love that country. Koh Tao was by far my favourite.

We done Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Tao& Koh Samui. It wasnt your typical honeymoon, we got the night train to CM but did stay in a really nice place in KS and our Bangkok hotel was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Scarinae wrote: »
    As the title says, where are you going for your honeymoon (or where did you go for your honeymoon)?

We're hoping to take 2.5-3 weeks off the year after our wedding for our honeymoon, we haven't done a huge amount of research yet but we were thinking of maybe doing Thailand (and possibly a bit of time in Vietnam as well). I've also heard that Mauritius is amazing so we might look into that as another option too.

I would love to hear what other people did or are doing for theirs!

Firstly...congrats on upcoming wedding.

I did a lot of research for our honeymoon, and my advice would be .... Ask yourself and partner.
    - do you want sunshine ?
    - do you want to sightsee ?
    - do you want luxury ?
    - do you want an experience ?
    - how much is realistically affordable?

After asking these questions you get a better picture of what you both want (you may not want the same)

I would recommend having a few days after wedding to unwind, if you can afford the time off work, this is because there is a chance you will be run off your feet in final weeks of wedding organising that you run on empty and are completely wrecked for first few days of honeymoon.

Prior to getting married myself and wife enjoyed traveling, on one occasion I planned a trip to USA, because she had never been, we travelled for 3.5weeks and visited Niagara falls, San Francisco, Hawaii, Maui, las Vegas and New York, each one a different experience, we walked near molten lava, watched it flow into the sea, we swam with turtles in the sea, I went into a shark tank, we gambled.... She won about $1500 and I lost some of it. .. we lay out on beautiful beaches, did carriage rides in Central park, went shopping in NY, seen Broadway shows etc

For our honeymoon (end of August) I was searching where the sunshine is good, Europe is great, it's rainy season in Thailand, hurricane season for Carribbean/Mexico... We wanted further than Europe, we think we might be able to explore Europe with the kids later in life.

At this point, I want to point out... We don't drink much or go out so travel is something we save up for and spend money on.

Our honeymoon started with a few days of downtime in los Angeles, then we flew to Tahiti, boat to moorea (it's a cheaper version of Bora Bora ... Travel agent suggested Bora Bora was too snobby), we went from here to the Cook Islands and then home.

Our honeymoon suited us.... And our life at the time, we are currently planning our 10year anniversary (we are 6yrs married, but we now have kids so travelling is a lot more expensive and our needs are very different to prior to getting married)

If you want just a lovely beach and chill out there are literally hundreds of islands all over the world to choose from, Thailand is amazing, ABC islands (Aruba , Bonaire, Curacao) ... Great to relax, not a lot to see, I think there's one traffic light on Bonaire and that's outside a pizza place.(not a functioning traffic light)

Set yourself a budget and chat with a few travel agents and see what they recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

We had an active 2 week holiday over Vietnam, Cambodia and Bangkok, and then went to phuket for a week and did nothing on the beech for a week, throughly enjoyed it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If Thailand is your preference,the time of year makes a massive difference.

Songkran is Thai new year, usually in April, essentially it's a waterfight where streets can be filled with people ... Water guns, cups, jugs of water ... It's great fun .... Weather can be warm , small risk of showers, when it does rain.... It's very heavy, and clears up quickly when it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Had always imagined my honeymoon to somewhere amazingly tropical but two kids put that vision to bed!!!!
    Getting married in February so we are looking at Tenerife for a week afterwards. Definitely not bringing the children so don’t want to go too far away and Tenerife has the best winter sun with the shortest travel distance. Have found an amazing 5 star resorts outside of a very quaint village. I’m actually so excited about it.
    Will bring the kids to Euro Disney after for a long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

We did Vienna, Salzburg and the Bavarian Alps in the summertime for our honeymoon. Our room in the latter hotel had a balcony/terrace with uninterrupted views of the Alps (within the Alps). Caught a few classical concerts, did some tours, lots of spa treatments. Great trip!

We flew to LA, and did 4 nights in Laguna Beach. Then flew to San Francisco for 3 nights. Flew to Vancouver for 2 nights. Then drove from Vancover to Calgary over the course of a week
    Went from Vancouver to Kamloops (1 night)
    Kamloops to Jasper (2 nights)
    Jasper to Lake Lousie (1 night)
    Lake Louise to Banff (2 nights)
    Banff to Calgary
    We then flew from Calgary to the Dominican Republic, and spent 5 nights in an All Inclusive resort before flying home

If I was doing it again, I'd spend less time in SF and Dominican Republic, and more time in Canada and Orange County.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

pwurple wrote: »
    Would skip Mauritius if I was doing it again. Found it utterly boring, you’re just expected to sit around and be waited on, it felt exploitative of the local people. The resorts are locked down, it felt like a gilded prison, we were really uncomfortable and were not surprised to hear of that young woman murdered a year or so after there. First and last trip to a place like that, Resorts are not our thing at all.
    That's really useful to know, thank you - that doesn't sound like my kind of holiday at all so I think I'll drop Mauritius off the potential list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Two years ago, we had two days after the wedding then flew to New Orleans for two days, flew to Miami and got a taxi to Fort Lauderdale for a night. Then had a week's cruise with Royal Caribbean on the Allure of the Seas down the Western Caribbean which included three stop-offs (Haiti, Jamaica & Cozumel Island in Mexico) then flew to Chicago for three days and then home. It was awesome & the only thing I would have changed was to have an extra day in New Orleans but the travel agent couldn't manage it with the flight dates ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Thinking of Indonesia in July/August, anyone have any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

missmatty wrote: »
    Two years ago, we had two days after the wedding then flew to New Orleans for two days, flew to Miami and got a taxi to Fort Lauderdale for a night. Then had a week's cruise with Royal Caribbean on the Allure of the Seas down the Western Caribbean which included three stop-offs (Haiti, Jamaica & Cozumel Island in Mexico) then flew to Chicago for three days and then home. It was awesome & the only thing I would have changed was to have an extra day in New Orleans but the travel agent couldn't manage it with the flight dates ☺️

Thinking of doing something pretty similar, already have the cruise booked and that will be the end for us, thinking of New Orleans, Vegas & San Fran but not 100% sure on those yet... Have Toronto (with Niagara), Chicago, Philadelphia, Vancouver all on the short-list to replace New Orleans (have done it before and loved it).

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

We did two weeks in Guatemala and a week in Belize. Priority was to go somewhere new and to have a complete break. So we decided to go for longer and stay in a mix of accommodation rather than luxury. Had an amazing time! I do remember how hard it was to choose though.

Advertisement