Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It’s not regulated because it’s illegal.

What a funny thing it is that people in capitalist societies are ok with everything being resold for a profit - housing, shares, antiques and on and on.

Just not concert tickets.

I just don't get it. If you own a thing that someone else is willing to pay over the odds for, you should by all means be allowed to sell it and profit. That's the very basis of commerce - it can't be fine for cornflakes but immoral for Taylor Swift!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

Coding will earn you money, Irish will earn you brownie points in a Gaeltacht pub while you are staring at your shoes wondering why you can’t get a job.

Code can be taught in Irish, win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I just don't get it. If you own a thing that someone else is willing to pay over the odds for, you should by all means be allowed to sell it and profit. That's the very basis of commerce - it can't be fine for cornflakes but immoral for Taylor Swift!

exactly. now i would draw the line at buy her , her tickets yes but a person no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Coding will earn you money, Irish will earn you brownie points in a Gaeltacht pub while you are staring at your shoes wondering why you can’t get a job.

Yeh I don’t care. Because education isn’t about training. Isn’t just about training anyway.

It’s not regulated because it’s illegal.

What a funny thing it is that people in capitalist societies are ok with everything being resold for a profit - housing, shares, antiques and on and on.

Just not concert tickets.

my point is that it shouldnt be illegal. highly regualtated yes but made legal. there should be no regualtion on the selling price. let the market decide that

• Advertisement

Yeh I don’t care. Because education isn’t about training. Isn’t just about training anyway.

education should only be about training . you should not learn any useless skills in education system. learn them in your own time. school should teach you skills to look after yourself and to get jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Education should be preparing you with actionable skills for the real world instead of wasting time on a dead language.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Bicycles and cyclists should be banned from most of the important roads, and from narrow roads. The sheer amount of pollution they cause when lines of traffic build up behind them, operating at lower (fuel inefficient) speeds and the acceleration/deceleration has an overall detrimental effect on the environment. This is even worse when they cycle two-abreast - yes it is legal, but it causes more environmental damage by causing huge lines of traffic to build up.

Education should be preparing you with actionable skills for the real world instead of wasting time on a dead language.

That’s a training course not education.

If we wanted that we’d get rid of most subjects and have business English, coding, how to be a good service worker, plumbing and Chinese. Business Chinese. No poetry.

my point is that it shouldnt be illegal. highly regualtated yes but made legal. there should be no regualtion on the selling price. let the market decide that

You have something that people want to buy, but plenty of others have it as well - free market self-regulating competitive commerce
    You have something that people want, and you're the only one that have it - price gouging, free market but not self-regulating and not competitive. Arguably, not commerce either.
    You have something that people want, and you're the only one that have it, and you're in this position because you bought all available somethings in order to create the situation described at the "price gouging" - touting, not free market. Should be illegal.

Oversimplifies it a bit, but also hope it's all clear now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

If a bunch of people jumped on the cornflake truck as it was arriving at the supermarket, bought all the cornflakes so shoppers couldn't, then stood outside the supermarket selling them for 5 times the price, something would probably be done to limit that too. The comparison between cornflakes and Taylor Swift would be CDs, which you can happily sell second hand if anyone could be bothered to buy them.

The free market is rightly regulated in all sorts of ways and tickets are just one of them. They're not a physical good, they're proof that you have permission to enter a venue. That permission might be predicated on other criteria like not being underage or not being barred from the premises, which the ticket tout circumvents.

Ultimately though the whole concept of the free market is built on some people producing stuff, and other people buy the stuff, and the price being set through supply and demand.

Middle men like shops, advertisers etc skim profit off the top, but they also provide an essential service to the producer in getting the product to the customer. Ticket touts provide no value at any point, they simply make it more difficult for the consumer to get the tickets, without any upside for the producer. Are there other examples outside of ticket touting where this happens and it's perfectly legal? Sure. And maybe they should be regulated. But I don't see any good argument to let ticket touts leech off of both musicians and concert goers.

Cordell wrote: »
    You have something that people want to buy, but plenty of others have it as well - free market self-regulating competitive commerce
    You have something that people want, and you're the only one that have it - price gouging, free market but not self-regulating and not competitive. Arguably, not commerce either.
    You have something that people want, and you're the only one that have it, and you're in this position because you bought all available somethings in order to create the situation described at the "price gouging" - touting, not free market. Should be illegal.

That’s not what touts do. There’s no one man buying up all the tickets and naming his price. Multiple buyers and sellers.

That’s a training course not education.

If we wanted that we’d get rid of most subjects and have business English, coding, how to be a good service worker, plumbing and Chinese.

And in some cases that would be an exceptional alternative offering of education - I never gave a **** for irrelevant stuff like algebra or boreal climates or Peig. A varied choice would do wonders for the curriculum, imagine people who aren’t great at history, science etc getting to do English, Business, Coding, Soft Skills etc while the academics could continue to tote learn the other stuff. I think that would be an excellent education system that allowed that level of choice don’t you?

The touts buy the tickets in bulk, then wait for the general availability to dry out, then they sell. Same difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The sheer amount of pollution they cause when lines of traffic build up behind them, operating at lower (fuel inefficient) speeds and the acceleration/deceleration has an overall detrimental effect on the environment.

When they don't cycle 2 abreast they dont cause pollution as the cars can just easily pass them out

And in some cases that would be an exceptional alternative offering of education - I never gave a **** for irrelevant stuff like algebra or boreal climates or Peig. A varied choice would do wonders for the curriculum, imagine people who aren’t great at history, science etc getting to do English, Business, Coding, Soft Skills etc while the academics could continue to tote learn the other stuff. I think that would be an excellent education system that allowed that level of choice don’t you?

It wouldn’t be an education system. It would be a system to produce worker drones.

As an addition to the curriculum, maybe.

The touts buy the tickets in bulk, then wait for the general availability to dry out, then they sell. Same difference :)

There are limits to how many they can buy. It’s exactly the same as everything else. Buy low. Sell high. Demand exceeds supply - price goes up. New concert added and price goes down, touts can’t give them away.

And of all the things we get mad about with regards to profiteering why is it a concert ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

what unpopular opinions do you hold on boards and in real life?

Goodness where do I start.

I believe in God and what He has revealed about Himself in the Bible. I believe that Jesus lived, was crucified in our place for our sins and rose again on the third day.

I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman.

I believe there are only two genders male and female.

I believe life begins at conception and it is never right to kill a child by choice no matter how hard you try and justify it.

I don't believe that sex outside of a marriage between a man and a woman is right.

I believe in free speech and freedom of religion shouldn't be restricted just because they offend somebody's sensibilities. Get thicker skin.

I'm sure I've got more in there but those are enough.

thats not a fair representation

you buy something that has a very specific use by date. it gets more valuble upto the point but worthless after that.
    you buy it when it cheapest and take the risk that your perishable something will be worthless. you decide what its worth to sell it . you have to gamble between selling it now and keeping it to sell later when its worth more but could be left with it and worth nothing. that rarely happens because the people buying it are willing to pay the selling price. so its actually selling for at or less that its maximum value .

at the end of the day the asking price is set by the seller but the seller can buy or not . it the seller is selling for more that they are worth then they will be left with them or forced to lewer ther price until they find the actual value. the value only goes up while there is a shortage of availible tickets . if there are more tickets than buyers then the price comes down .

there is nothing ilegal about any of this in any industry except ticket sales. its wrong that this is banned. im supprised there hasnt been a constitutional challange to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

phutyle wrote: »

None of the elderly people I know in my locality have ever even applied for a bus pass, because there's literally no opportunity for them to use it.

Most of them don't need to. It issues automatically at age 66 to anyone with a PSC.

• Advertisement

I believe there are only two genders male and female.

I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion - all this self ID nonsense can **** right off.
    I believe life begins at conception and it is never right to kill a child by choice no matter how hard you try and justify it.

Respectfully disagree with this though- it easy to make sound bites when you haven’t experienced it yourself. Why would you want to inflict a short life of pain and agony on an unviable human being? To soothe a conscience or religious beliefs? It’s not a throwaway decision believe me.

And, while on the topic of PSCs: I think that they're great, have no fears of the "big brother" or "data retention" balderdash, and firmly believe that their use should be extended to deal with as many government-citizen interfaces as possible.

And if the present or any future government wants to rename them National ID Cards then I'm all for that too.

there is nothing ilegal about any of this in any industry except ticket sales. its wrong that this is banned. im supprised there hasnt been a constitutional challange to it

Influencing, or to be precise, manipulating the market is illegal in many cases. If this is not the case in ticket touting then it's fair game, but I don't think it is.

I don't believe that sex outside of a marriage between a man and a woman is right.
    It may not be right, but god, it's so good :)

Influencing, or to be precise, manipulating the market is illegal in many cases. If this is not the case in ticket touting then it's fair game, but I don't think it is.

in what way are they manipulating the market.

in what way are they manipulating the market.

By upsetting the supply and demand balance - see above.
    If it's all good, then let it happen everywhere, including plane tickets.

Can you forgive the Mother of Jesus for having indulged in extra-marital tantric sex with an Archangel?

By upsetting the supply and demand balance - see above.
    If it's all good, then let it happen everywhere, including plane tickets.

whats wrong with that.
    that happens all the time
    when you go to an event you pay extra for a beer or icream etc because supply is limited and there is high demand

the big cattle dealers with thousands of cattle control the price in the marts. they can drive the price up and down by buying and selling

whats wrong with that.
    that happens all the time
    when you go to an event you pay extra for a beer or icream etc because supply is limited and there is high demand
    That is price gouging, not exactly ok but legal.
    the big cattle dealers with thousands of cattle control the price in the marts. they can drive the price up and down by buying and selling
    Buying goods to drive the price up or dump them to drive it down, this, if properly investigated and proven, it's (usually) illegal.

• Advertisement

That is price gouging, not exactly ok but legal.

Buying goods to drive the price up or dump them to drive it down, this, if properly investigated and proven, it's (usually) illegal.

Touts don’t set the price of the tickets. They are a tiny part of the entire market for any event. Limited by how many tickets are sold. They don’t bump up or dump tickets to cause a drop in prices. They don’t have that buying power.

It’s no diffferent from buying a share. They buy something initially priced at 80€ and as that price is too low relative to demand the real market price should be 100€ , so they sell at that.

Advertisement