Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Stadia

Comments

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Probably should have put the kids in the attic :pac:

And feed them fish-heads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

A Chromecast ultra and a Stadia controller can turn any HDMI ported TV into a potential high end console gaming machine!

I'm pretty excited anyway :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Probably should have put the kids in the attic :pac:

Don't tempt me, I upgraded my G15 keyboard to a G19 so I could keep an eye on the baby cam while gaming, I tried everything

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't tempt me, I upgraded my G15 keyboard to a G19 so I could keep an eye on the baby cam while gaming, I tried everything

Ha :pac: the worst I have to contend with is the dog coming up looking for attention when I'm gaming.... oh and herself when she's giving out :pac:

If this gets any kind of traction it will ruin the industry further.

• Advertisement

Don't get the negativity tbh. PC/Console gaming on tap through an app on your tv. Not even an app, just use your browser. What's not to like? If you don't have the broadband for it then obviously it's going to be too laggy, it's clearly for high speed broadband with low pings. So if you meet those requirements this is a great service, no? Worried about Google gathering your data? We are protected by GDPR, you can already go to their website and delete everything they have on you and it's not as if Steam, Microsoft, Sony etc aren't harvesting this information already.

Personally, I'm more excited for Xbox xcloud to compliment console hardware. For example being able to game in work or on holidays. Microsoft have been laying the foundations for while now it looks like a stronger proposition but as we all know competition is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Im excited and disappointed at the same time. Games via streaming just like my music/youtube (excitement) but i only have at best a 3mbps connection (disappointment).

I have EA Access but hardly use it due to my sh!t broadband. I keep it as my lads use the account. Crappy broadband and im only 5k from the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

I am intrigued by this and think it would be suitable for me. I am a relatively casual gamer nowadays and the type of games I play mostly are rpgs and strategy games so a small bit of lag won't kill my enjoyment of a game. If this launches and has a good range of titles I will probably go for it over buying one of the next generation consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

The country would need to see a roll out of Google Fibre, sure Galway is still on dial up :)

But more interesting here I think is the idea of "instances" of the console being hosted on the google servers - think about how that could make software utter redundant too. Apply the same technology to Photoshop where I patch in and run the programme on adobe's servers and it means I no longer need a beast of a laptop just to run Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Could be amazing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47810367

Something for the digital content age. Example of losing content based on the closure of a provider.
    Steam games are locally stored and playable offline (not sure if they can remove access to those too easily). Same with Origin I think, there was an issue with my client and when they repaired the account damage several games were now unavailable as EA did not hold them in the store anymore (they gave me credit or latter versions of the game series)

Now a streaming company? All purchased games on a streaming service (if it is purchase based) will be vulnerable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47810367

Something for the digital content age. Example of losing content based on the closure of a provider.
    Steam games are locally stored and playable offline (not sure if they can remove access to those too easily). Same with Origin I think, there was an issue with my client and when they repaired the account damage several games were now unavailable as EA did not hold them in the store anymore (they gave me credit or latter versions of the game series)

Now a streaming company? All purchased games on a streaming service (if it is purchase based) will be vulnerable

Hence why I try to buy all my games through GOG / Humble Bundle if possible - no DRM meaning actual backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

LOL

I have:
    617 games on Steam
    34 Uplay
    42 Origin
    2 Blizzard thing
    2 Epic Store
    7 Gog
    Pretty sure I left one out.

If they went bang I know I will lose those games as I like others sure as fcuk dont have them installed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I heard it's using linux and vulkan on the back-end. Which means there's a functioning linux-native Assassin's Creed game that's been created and probably many other titles to come... that we'll never be able to purchase traditionally. But here's hoping it improve support of the tools for that kind of thing at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just checked my PC digital game count which currently stands at

Steam - 9348
    GOG - 213
    Origin - 62
    Battle.net - 4
    Epic - 8 (all the free games :D)
    Itch.io - 71
    Microsoft Store - 2
    Uplay - 49

There were a few older sites that I can't remember the names of that have now gone belly up but I managed to get my Steam keys out of , so it is scary to think if these places go down you're SOL
    edit: I remembered one of them - Indie Royale

Skerries wrote: »

Steam - 9348
    GOG - 213
    Origin - 62
    Battle.net - 4
    Itch.io - 71
    Microsoft Store - 2
    Uplay - 49

There were a few older sites that I can't remember the names of that have now gone belly up but I managed to get my Steam keys out of , so it is scary to think if these places go down you're SOL

The game I played and don't have an install for? I've gotten my use from them and, honestly, don't even want them showing in the list.
    Issue is that there are games where I still have the discs or installed that I always go back to at some stage.

Having no way of storing thee games is a dangerous place to be. Much like digital films, is it UltraViolent that is shutting down. If you don't get your library transferred over to another provider then Sucks To Be You.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Skerries wrote: »

Steam - 9348
    GOG - 213
    Origin - 62
    Battle.net - 4
    Itch.io - 71
    Microsoft Store - 2
    Uplay - 49

Are you a bot? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

I heard it's using linux and vulkan on the back-end. Which means there's a functioning linux-native Assassin's Creed game that's been created and probably many other titles to come... that we'll never be able to purchase traditionally. But here's hoping it improve support of the tools for that kind of thing at least.

You can't assume either of those 2 - it does not need to be linux native nor vulkan native.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cordell wrote: »
    You can't assume either of those 2 - it does not need to be linux native nor vulkan native.

Of course it doesn't need to - but it would benefit from and has already done so. It's pretty safe to assume it, I'd say.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Google-Stadia-Vulkan-Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

A safer assumption will be that they will have a virtualization layer with a Linux/Vulkan backend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭jones

awec wrote: »
    25mb/s required for 1080p, which pretty much rules out most of rural Ireland.

And me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

More leaked details courtesy of Jason Schreier:
    There will be a base subscription available when Stadia launches in November, for $11.99 Canadian per month. This one will give you access to some Stadia games at 4K resolution/60FPS.

Other games—newer ones, especially—you’ll have to buy.

In 2020, Google will launch a “Stadia Base” model that’s totally free, but only allows you to play games at 1080p resolution.

A pricey Stadia Founder’s Edition will be for sale this fall ($169 Canadian) that includes a Chromecast Ultra, a Stadia controller, a three-month subscription, and Destiny 2 (which, as Kotaku revealed yesterday, will be on the platform at launch).

Doom, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, the new Tomb Raider trilogy, and The Division 2 are also part of the Stadia launch lineup.

Minimum internet speed requirement is a 10mbps download/1mbps upload.

https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-pricing-leaks-will-have-both-subscriptio-1835294433

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mr E wrote: »

Live stream up now, and it seems leak was accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking forward to a new way to not play a bunch of AAA games I have little interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Unless this offers something i cant get anywhere else(google exclusive sounds weird:P)i dont see the point.

With the current drawback to streaming games i just dont see the point.

Maybe google can sort those problems givin their infastructure but thats a big if.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I pre-ordered the founders edition. I've had my eye on a Chromecast Ultra for a while now and it's actually a decent deal for what you're getting.

I have good internet - 300gb with Virgin and access to SIRO - so I'm not worried about the speed and I don't have a gaming PC anymore so if this means I can play in PC quality fidelity for a Netflix price, I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

The Founder Edition does seem like good value, but I am cursed with 4gb internet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

if anyone can finally crack game streaming it would be google, so i am actually a bit excited for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I pre-ordered the founders edition. I've had my eye on a Chromecast Ultra for a while now and it's actually a decent deal for what you're getting.

I have good internet - 300gb with Virgin and access to SIRO - so I'm not worried about the speed and I don't have a gaming PC anymore so if this means I can play in PC quality fidelity for a Netflix price, I'm in.

Theres always going to be compression for streaming. It wont be original quality. Granted the stuff i saw still looked good.

• Advertisement

pricing seems reasonable enough also.

Advertisement