Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is it worth picking up a used Quest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Don’t see why not, but you’ll miss out on the free Vader games, so you’ll probably only save about 40 quid, and for that price I’d rather have a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Is it worth picking up a used Quest?

Yeah, you can replace the face plate with a nicer cushion one off Amazon

OK I just had the best damned session of Half Life Alyx tonight. Completely wireless and none of the lower-res issues I was having on my old setup.

This time I invested in a CAT7 cable. Plugged it directly from my laptop upstairs to my router downstairs (ran the 10m cable down), and connected Quest to the router via the 5GHz band, then loaded up Alyx via Virtual Desktop.

Absolutely pristine high-res session with no judder and freedom of no-wires. Immersion central!

This is the cable I got if it's any use to anyone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018KH7Q3S/

This is how I'm gonna VR henceforth (I'll keep the Link cable just as a backup, but I reckon it won't get a look-in 90% of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have tried using a CAT5 to the laptop and running a 5ghz hotspot on the laptop, Virtual Dsktop works quite well for Alyx.

Getting the hotspot to work with the Quest was a pain (IP configuration Failure messages), Win10 has a few bugs around Hotspots so you have to manually go into the adapter and enable sharing in its properties but one it is up it is rock solid, the limiting factor now is the 1060 in my Omen laptop.

I was going to order a 5ghz router but this works fine for now.

• Advertisement

fenris wrote: »
    I have tried using a CAT5 to the laptop and running a 5ghz hotspot on the laptop, Virtual Dsktop works quite well for Alyx.

Getting the hotspot to work with the Quest was a pain (IP configuration Failure messages), Win10 has a few bugs around Hotspots so you have to manually go into the adapter and enable sharing in its properties but one it is up it is rock solid, the limiting factor now is the 1060 in my Omen laptop.

I was going to order a 5ghz router but this works fine for now.

I asked Guy (the Virtual Desktop dev) if hotspots were a workable solution but he recommended the 5GHz router was the way to go and said hotspot adapters didn't really work well.

I checked with my ISP and they sent me on a replacement router with 5GHz for free so might be worth checking with yours. If they rename the SSID and password to match your existing router then you don't need to re-add all your wifi devices again, you just replace the router and switch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

There was definitely a bit of work involved in getting the hotspot to work properly on Win10.
    It is worth checking the bitrates on the 5ghz routers as they are definitely not created equally, so I was doing a bit of research into what routers will actually give you the bandwidth, most do not.
    A lot of the so called gaming routers seem to charge a premium for the number of extra pointy corners and bits or red trim that they attach rather than by throughput and low latency!
    So it looks to me like the best options are to use some of the enterprise style units like some of the Ubiquiti boxes, naturally that has me looking into redoing my home networks completely, working from home and streaming teens = bad combination, I am seriously considering giving them a dose of the Upsidedownternet or similar! (I do remember seeing a version that just slightly blurs everything)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just ordered a 64GB Quest from the company store. At last something to kill the empty lockdown hours:D

Edit: Or maybe not. My shipping address is invalid apparently

Lads, any help here?
    I’m fairly useless when it comes to networking.
    I’m looking to set up a network solution to play games over Virtual Desktop on quest.
    This is my current set up.
    Before I go out a buy a gaming laptop or PC, I’d just like to know if the following set up would be okay for playing over VD.
    Or are there any recommendations that anyone could make?
    The issue I have is my ISP enters the area at an awkward position, (storage area under stairs)
    The setup is all on the bottom floor.
    Ideally, I’d like to stay away from powerline adapters, but any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Or maybe not. My shipping address is invalid apparently

Their system don't like our Eircodes. It's pretty ridiculous. 4 orders I've had with them and all have had invalid shipping address.

You have to get onto their support chat/email and they'll sort it after reconfirming your address with you.

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »
    Lads, any help here?
    I’m fairly useless when it comes to networking.
    I’m looking to set up a network solution to play games over Virtual Desktop on quest.
    This is my current set up.
    Before I go out a buy a gaming laptop or PC, I’d just like to know if the following set up would be okay for playing over VD.
    Or are there any recommendations that anyone could make?
    The issue I have is my ISP enters the area at an awkward position, (storage area under stairs)
    The setup is all on the bottom floor.
    Ideally, I’d like to stay away from powerline adapters, but any help would be appreciated.

Best setup is to run the CAT7 cable from your PC direct to the same 5GHz router where you connect your Quest wirelessly.

If you have that setup you should be good to go.

Next game. Arizona sunshine or pistol whip?

Next game. Arizona sunshine or pistol whip?

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with Arizona Sunshine on PSVR.

It might be better on Quest, but it's decidedly meh from me and a bit over-rated.

Pistol Whip would be my choice of those two, but I'm just basing that on what others have said as I'm gonna wait for a sale and play through my backlog in the meantime.

EchoVR is now available on Quest store. It’s an open beta and free until launch if anyone wants to give it a try.

EchoVR is now available on Quest store. It’s an open beta and free until launch if anyone wants to give it a try.

The reviews sound incredible..gonna have to give this a go

mrcheez wrote: »
    The reviews sound incredible..gonna have to give this a go

Yep. Gonna give it a go later myself.

Sorry if this is a moron's query, but what do I do about the charger? Can I get an adapter for the one supplied or should I get a completely separate one?

Holy f**king s**t. Echo Is unreal. I’ve just spent the last hour having the best time in this. I’m not normally one for chatting to random people in a game, but this thing just draws you in. Ive been cracking up at some of games I’ve had. So much fun.

Sorry if this is a moron's query, but what do I do about the charger? Can I get an adapter for the one supplied or should I get a completely separate one?

Figured it out. Guess it was a moron's query...

It’s just a regular USB-C charger and adapter that comes with it. If you haven’t got the right uk type plug, just use a converter or you should be able to pick one up off amazon easily enough. You can also order a replacement from oculus.

Hope this answers your question.

• Advertisement

It’s just a regular USB-C charger and adapter that comes with it. If you haven’t got the right uk type plug, just use a converter or you should be able to pick one up off amazon easily enough. You can also order a replacement from oculus.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers. Turned out all I needed to do was pull out the top pin

Cheers. Turned out all I needed to do was pull out the top pin

:D
    I remember trying to jam mine into the socket before I realised the top part pulls up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Holy f**king s**t. Echo Is unreal. I’ve just spent the last hour having the best time in this. I’m not normally one for chatting to random people in a game, but this thing just draws you in. Ive been cracking up at some of games I’ve had. So much fun.

Ha, gave it a quick game there, it's good craic..although some people are fairly good at it!

Graphics fairly lowered from the rift version but has good potential. never really gave it a proper go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I'm finding the unit very heavy for even short periods of use... Might look at a makeshift counterbalance...

sticker wrote: »
    I'm finding the unit very heavy for even short periods of use... Might look at a makeshift counterbalance...

The faceplate upgrades I added to mine make a hell of a difference to comfort.

But yeah something to pull back on the rear strap would be a good idea alright.

I’ve gotten used to the weight.
    Using a power bank seems to be a good counterweight, plus extending the battery life.
    There’s some recommendations online for the best ones to use.

The faceplate upgrades I added to mine make a hell of a difference to comfort.

But yeah something to pull back on the rear strap would be a good idea alright.

I bought a facepad here:
    amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WPHB3BT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had to take it off - sweating like a pig with it on (and I'm not a pig weight-wise :D)

I bought a facepad here:
    amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WPHB3BT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had to take it off - sweating like a pig with it on (and I'm not a pig weight-wise :D)

Yup that's the one I have and I've paired it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YSLSHN5/

Combination of the two are like silk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, I must get the vr cover, I dont like the silicone faceplate too much.

I used to have the leathery VRCover brand one for Rift but sold that with the Rift!

I got the velcro head thing yesterday as welll - makes a world of difference!

• Advertisement

Yup that's the one I have and I've paired it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YSLSHN5/

Combination of the two are like silk

Ha! - I' ordered that one too but never used it, yes the silicone one is too uncomfortable on its own...

Advertisement