Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Respawn Jedi Fallen Order

• 27-02-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gonna be honest no real interest in Star Wars but pound for pound Respawn are the best developer active at the moment* :D

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1100865413129355264

*They have 3 very good games, they have made 3 games :D

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A reveal for a reveal. Just reveal it already.

Actually can't wait to see what they make of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looking forward to seeing more on this.

Wasnt too dissapointed to hear the uncharted alike star wars was cancelled,this one interests me much more just because of respawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kiith wrote: »
    A reveal for a reveal. Just reveal it already.

Actually can't wait to see what they make of this.

In fairness they are allowed a one-time exception for May the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hopefully a decent single player story, would love a new KOTOR but a Padawan surviving order 66 sounds interesting.

Only thing I am not a big fan of with it being so close to the movie timelines is they have to kill them off or make them disappear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

All Titans have been replaced with AT-ST's and pilots with Storm Troopers :P They really should've given Battlefront to Respawn instead of Dice.

Whilst it's natural to want to get a great single-player game, that's not quite Respawn's forte to date. Whilst most would agree that the Titanfall 2 campaign was one of the best of the year it came out, it was very short and for me, it merely supplemented the multi-player. But I'll tell ya what, as dreamers said above, they're the best pound for pound dev out there right now :D I'd love to see a game in the slightly more expanded universe like the Rebels Animated series.

• Advertisement

I was reading online about them lastnight and apparently there is a really good COD mission that they did showing they have a little aptitude for decent story telling.

How does the rebels animated series fit in with the existing film lore?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Calhoun wrote: »
    I was reading online about them lastnight and apparently there is a really good COD mission that they did showing they have a little aptitude for decent story telling.

have you not played titanfall 2? best FPS campaign in years

have you not played titanfall 2? best FPS campaign in years

No unfortunately BF1 came out at the time and i played it to death, a really good mate of mine plays it but he keeps telling me not to buy it as its effectively died.

I have picked up apex legends though.

Although i might have to buy it now with that comment

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No unfortunately BF1 came out at the time and i played it to death, a really good mate of mine plays it but he keeps telling me not to buy it as its effectively died.

Pretty sure it's on EA/Origin access. If you're on PS4 and can't access either of those then it's going very cheap in sales these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

the ultimate edition is 6 euros quite often, its also seen a resurgence in players since apex dropped. still though, the campaign alone is worth 20 notes easy in my book.

• Advertisement

Downloading it now, give it a shot. I had heard it got a bit of resurgence from apex legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Shiminay wrote: »
    All Titans have been replaced with AT-ST's and pilots with Storm Troopers :P They really should've given Battlefront to Respawn instead of Dice.

Whilst it's natural to want to get a great single-player game, that's not quite Respawn's forte to date. Whilst most would agree that the Titanfall 2 campaign was one of the best of the year it came out, it was very short and for me, it merely supplemented the multi-player. But I'll tell ya what, as dreamers said above, they're the best pound for pound dev out there right now :D I'd love to see a game in the slightly more expanded universe like the Rebels Animated series.
    With Respawn essentially building a new team for Fallen Order as well as moving onto using Unreal Engine 4 and having being able to work on the project since 2015, I'm not quite sure we can accurately gauge its potential based on their previously released titles.

Not that that's a bad thing of course. It's actually kind of amusing that the Game Director on the project, Stig Asmussen, spent his last four years at Sony Santa Monica working on a new sci-fi IP before the project was canned back in 2014. Not a bad change in fortune. :pac:

Star Wars Rebels takes place between episode's 3 and 4 on the outer rim of the galaxy so is somewhat distant from the films lore, but you get cameos every now and again. The "crew" are a Jedi who left the order and so wasn't taken out with Order 66, his partner, a Mandalorian, a big and burly warrior that isn't a wookie, honest, who's the last of his race and a young kid who's force sensitive. Oh, and a borderline psychotic astromech droid called Chopper...

It's the best Star Wars thing produced in years I think, much better than the films. They have a couple of cameos in Rogue One.

Nice I like that setting leaves allot of room for growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

"All Ghillied Up" was the name of the mission in COD,was a doozey for its day. Very well done.

Although how many people that worked on that mission are still at respawn i couldnt tell ye. Theres been a few departures but they still seem to have the knack of knowing what works or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiminay wrote: »
    Whilst it's natural to want to get a great single-player game, that's not quite Respawn's forte to date. Whilst most would agree that the Titanfall 2 campaign was one of the best of the year it came out, it was very short and for me, it merely supplemented the multi-player.

I'd take that 4-6 hours of inventive level design and set pieces over games that drag out the same boring combat loop over 40+ hours. It was a little gem that reminded me of when I used to like FPS games when they used to experiment with set pieces and their design.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd take that 4-6 hours of inventive level design and set pieces over games that drag out the same boring combat loop over 40+ hours. It was a little gem that reminded me of when I used to like FPS games when they used to experiment with set pieces and their design.

I dont see star wars games having that "type" of level in a game.

But respawn are infinity ward who were 2015 and as i said above pound for pound the are the best developer of games i like out there :P

I guess I feel that 6 hours is too short for a single player game that I'm expected to pay €60 for and on the opposite side of that same coin, I'd say anything over 15 hours is being too heavily padded with fetch quests and collectibles and all that and I could definitely do without that. But 10-12 hours means you'll get anywhere between a week and 2 weeks out of it depending on your schedule and I think that'd be really cool :)

One of the designers from KOTOR2 is working on this project :) excitement levels have gone up.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158604978863079&id=6738073078&sfnsn=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not as excited for this as I was originally, knowing it's a third person game from a newly assembled team rather than an FPS from the same people that made Titanfall. The reveal will have to be something special to get excitement levels up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This better be good or Disney should just rip the Star Wars franchise from EA

Not as excited for this as I was originally, knowing it's a third person game from a newly assembled team rather than an FPS from the same people that made Titanfall. The reveal will have to be something special to get excitement levels up again.

I'd personally give them the benefit of the doubt for now as being apart of a big studio with decent rep they won't want to be the team to ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Who wants a boring laser beam fps. I need some light saber swinging 3rd person goodness!

Who wants a boring laser beam fps. I need some light saber swinging 3rd person goodness!

Ah Dark Forces was great though! But I'll be happy with your vision, if they do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All the Jedi knight games were 3rd person for lightsabers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Amazon supposedly leaked the poster early, but it really gives nothing away.

Will be built on UE4 rather than Frostbite.

Yes, I'm desperate for news.

• Advertisement

Will be built on UE4 rather than Frostbite.

Yes, I'm desperate for news.
    That, given all the dire tidings of games involving Frostbite of late, is great news. Frostbite's a great engine, but it's a bastard to work with and offers no means to do modding or anything like that (by design) which is a total crock as far as I'm concerned.

Advertisement