Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Well there goes my weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Came in last evening after my first out day since the new three cats arrived.

Left the kittens and big cat inside, the 2 younger boys out.

Came in to a stunning silence. Heartstop. Had big cat who shot out of the door as I came in..... not a whisker of the two little ones to be seen

Just called and talked and they appeared slowly as if by sheer magic. No idea where they hid...

I am in bed; big cat wants to come under the covers but a little cat is in the way.. starin g match! If i Pick the little cat up, big cat kills me with his glare..

Just like... people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Any good homoeopathic vets in the west part of the country?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There are no homeopathic vets anywhere. Homeopathy and science do not mix.

Do you mean holistic?

There are no homeopathic vets anywhere. Homeopathy and science do not mix.

Do you mean holistic?
    No, I'm looking for a remedy that worked before, it was def a homoeopathic remedy. The vet then was working in a mixed practice in east galway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have you tried praying for the problem to go away? To be honest it would be more likely to work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Have you tried praying for the problem to go away? To be honest it would be more likely to work

That's your belief, the poster simply asked for details of not a sarcastic response because it's not something you believe in.

Giving a dog a drink of water and mange or rubbing it on or injecting it with same does not cure mange. That's not a belief, its a fact. Praying for it to go away is a belief. People who sell homeopathic remedies do nothing more than prey on the vulnerable and the gullible, that also is not a belief, its a fact.

Have you tried praying for the problem to go away? To be honest it would be more likely to work :P

Thank you for your input, you of course can believe what you want or makes sense to you.

I'm just trying to find a non pharma remedy for newly acquired separation anxiety for a dog who has just months to live, as her time is so short, homeo is her fastest option, especially as this remedy has worked for her before.

Her name is Rob, she is much loved and her 'daddy' will be heartbroken when she goes, as you are blessed with faith in prayer, could you keep them in yours for the foreseeable?

Sorry I don't believe in prayer either. I do believe in theramone plug ins and not leaving dogs alone for periods longer than they are comfortable with. Are you sure it is seperation anxiety? It would be unusual for an older dog to suddenly develop it simply because they are otherwise unwell. There must have been some other trigger for it I would think. They can be more clingy when unwell but it is not true seperation anxiety I don't think. I'm no canine behaviourist though but would you consider engaging the services of one? That's generally who you would go to for behaviour issues, not a vet or homeopathy practicioner.

I'm sorry your dog is having a tough time but please try to focus on something that will help rather than handing over money to some charlatan.

• Advertisement

Sorry I don't believe in prayer either. I do believe in theramone plug ins and not leaving dogs alone for periods longer than they are comfortable with. Are you sure it is seperation anxiety? It would be unusual for an older dog to suddenly develop it simply because they are otherwise unwell. There must have been some other trigger for it I would think. They can be more clingy when unwell but it is not true seperation anxiety I don't think. I'm no canine behaviourist though but would you consider engaging the services of one? That's generally who you would go to for behaviour issues, not a vet or homeopathy practicioner.

I'm sorry your dog is having a tough time but please try to focus on something that will help rather than handing over money to some charlatan.

All of those have been done and nothing has worked, as she has had good success with homoeopathy, I dont see what there is to lose at this late stage.

I suspect that its a reaction from her meds and bad start in life, but as we cant go backwards.....

I resent the suggestion that I am lacking the ability to know when I was being taken advantage of, we are grown ups and we chooses to pay for a remedy that worked in a similar situation, that is our choice. There is no other opinion needed on this.

While all of this has been very upsetting for me(as a poster), and my instinct is to take my posts down because I cant deal with any more of this negativity. I will keep it up in an attempt to find someone who can give the needed direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bredabe wrote: »
    Any good homoeopathic vets in the west part of the country?

Tom Farrington is based in Cork and very good - not sure if Cork is any use to you?

I got a Pet Remedy plug in this year for halloween and found it great for my dog's anxiety. It's valerian based compared to the adaptil pheromone ones. I also have an anxiety wrap for him and have also used calming supplements but these really depend on the individual dog - some pets shops stock them eg Serene-um or your local vet might stock a brand eg ours stocks NutraCalm.. I find Dorwest valerian drops great for him - he spit out the pill version lol! :rolleyes:

Dorwest valerian and skullcap tablets work well for my boy around the time of fireworks. The serene um calm ones didn't have any affect on him. As mentioned and anxiety wrap could work, if you look on you tube there will be lots of videos of how to use a scarf etc to create these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hope your dog is feeling better soon Bredabe. Mind yourselves. It's so stressful when they're unwell!

All of those have been done and nothing has worked, as she has had good success with homoeopathy, I dont see what there is to lose at this late stage.

I suspect that its a reaction from her meds and bad start in life, but as we cant go backwards.....

I resent the suggestion that I am lacking the ability to know when I was being taken advantage of, we are grown ups and we chooses to pay for a remedy that worked in a similar situation, that is our choice. There is no other opinion needed on this.

While all of this has been very upsetting for me(as a poster), and my instinct is to take my posts down because I cant deal with any more of this negativity. I will keep it up in an attempt to find someone who can give the needed direction.

HUGS. We believe in Prayer... covered here.

A kind person in another fora has given me a list of homoeopathic/holistic vets.
    If anyone want it, feel free to pm me(I have cherry on mute, so s/he has an objection, I'll not see it)

PS Thanks so much for the kindness, support and info you all have shared on this.

One of our dogs has taken to burying pretend things lately. There's nothing in front of her but she very deliberately begins pushing leaves/dirt etc over this imaginary object. She's just coming up on 5 and otherwise very well in herself and no other out of the ordinary behaviour. Is this just something new that she's enjoying doing or could it point to something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

It's amazing how much you miss a dog when they go, even in a house full of dogs. Little foster girl went to the UK today, sweetest little girl, very traumatised and damaged, she came for 2 days for assessment, a month later she finally moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

muddypaws wrote: »
    It's amazing how much you miss a dog when they go, even in a house full of dogs. Little foster girl went to the UK today, sweetest little girl, very traumatised and damaged, she came for 2 days for assessment, a month later she finally moved on.

lucky dog going to a foster home for a whole month. Did she improve a bit over the month did you think? :( hopefully shes gone to a very kind/sympathetic/knowlegable home

aonb wrote: »

lucky dog going to a foster home for a whole month. Did she improve a bit over the month did you think? :( hopefully shes gone to a very kind/sympathetic/knowlegable home

Ah yeah, she definitely improved, I can't take the credit though, my dogs are amazing with foster dogs and guests, dogs learn so much from other dogs. She stole my cereal out of the bowl on the worktop this morning. I love when they get confident enough to be naughty.

• Advertisement

Brilliant! Well done to you and your dogs. Another little rescue helped. As you say, the first time they're naughty or brave, its just such a kick - like they're finally trusting or relaxed enough to be themselves :):):)
    I have a little fat-a**e sitting on the sofa here beside me - was a wreck when arrived, but now, full tummy, cosy fire, and life is GOOD!:):):)

Brilliant! Well done to you and your dogs. Another little rescue helped. As you say, the first time they're naughty or brave, its just such a kick - like they're finally trusting or relaxed enough to be themselves :):):)
    I have a little fat-a**e sitting on the sofa here beside me - was a wreck when arrived, but now, full tummy, cosy fire, and life is GOOD!:):):)

Awwww. I probably shouldn't say this, no doubt someone with be offended but it was the same with foster children, they'd usually be on their best behaviour and then when they were naughty or cheeky, I knew they were starting to feel safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Ahh muddy paws, how could anyone be offended??? I really do pitty anyone who would be, they must be a very horrible person indeed.

I actually teared up, we’ve a lovely neighbour who has spent her whole life fostering children along with raising her son and my goodness she is such a wonderful person that I feel humbled to know.

It has taken me several weeks after wee dog died to be able to go for a walk here. Yesterday I finally did it, needing to gather evergreen for the Advent Wreath. So unfair, as she loved that lane and .....

smiling here. My three new kitten/cats are finding their way here. I started letting them out and each time they vanish for many hours and put the heart across me, then come home and snuggle and purr.

The lady said they had been living on the streets when she took them in.

Lovely seeing them get bold and cheeky....into everything

Having a quick tidy up today, picking up the dog toys, spotted that the expensive dog specific toys bought for the smaller dog are in a bad way, the soft baby toys I picked up in charity shops for 20/50c's are in perfect conditions and often their favourite.

Having a quick tidy up today, picking up the dog toys, spotted that the expensive dog specific toys bought for the smaller dog are in a bad way, the soft baby toys I picked up in charity shops for 20/50c's are in perfect conditions and often their favourite.

When I took in the abused collie, I got a stuffed toy from the charity shop.... She tore off an ear and ate it... been half starved so food was all to her... Her favourite occupation was car chasing :eek:used to walk her at 4 am

Came down to a poo-nami this morning, right in the line of the door. Was easy enough to figure out who wasn't well because one of the dogs kept nudging me for his dinner as I was cleaning up, he doesn't see why he should be delayed. Poor Bella is curled up under a blanket now with some very loud noises coming from her stomach and frightening her.

Poo-nami!!! :D:D:D
    Yuk!

I stepped with bare feet in a poo-nami one night :P
    Hope shes feeling better

• Advertisement

Yuck!!! She herded me into the kitchen for treats earlier and was chasing her brother around the garden so I'd say she's over it. That's not to say that she didn't half milk it or anything lol!

Advertisement