Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMENTS THREAD FOR RANDOM PHOTOS LV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

copperhead wrote: »
    40526903363_4e41337781_c.jpg1-12-18-3 by thomas walsh, on Flickr

Love this. Was only thinking today that I really miss doing sea side long exposures. Must try and get out and take a few. Plenty of coastline in Dun Laoghaire after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As do I.

(noob question - if somebody can advise)

General question about filters. I know there is many different filters available. I'd like to start doing something like the above or milky river/waterfall type pics. I got a cheap set online with different ND value filters. I know these are probably crap - but before I spend bigger, I'd like to chance it and try my hand first.
    When using a filter should the filter glass be in direct contact with the lense housing? I see even Cokin sets have a holder and its very similar to the one I have but the filter sits away from the lens.

Cokin_CBA40058_A_Series_Filter_1233040156000_459605.jpg

Don't use the bracket filters myself, so cant comment.

Give this guy a read if you've never done long exposures before.

Not all will apply but I found it really helpful.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Don't use the bracket filters myself, so cant comment.

Give this guy a read if you've never done long exposures before.

Not all will apply but I found it really helpful.

Great write up. Thanks Fixxxer!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

GBX wrote: »
    As do I.

General question about filters. I know there is many different filters available. I'd like to start doing something like the above or milky river/waterfall type pics. I got a cheap set online with different ND value filters. I know these are probably crap - but before I spend bigger, I'd like to chance it and try my hand first.
    When using a filter should the filter glass be in direct contact with the lense housing? I see even Cokin sets have a holder and its very similar to the one I have but the filter sits away from the lens.

hi gbx as a general rule the filters should be as close to the lens as possible without touching the lens, with grad nd filters this isnt a huge issue but if your using neutral density filters EG 10 stop/ 6stop filters any leaks of light can destroy an image. ( also rember to cover eyepiece for long exposure )
    as for quality in filters it vary's vastly as does price, all most all filters will have some sort of color cast some more pronounced than others, theres two main types plastic / resin and glass but beware neither is very robust and will not take any mishandling as the coating will scratch easily,
    it all come down to personal choice and budget as most of what filters can achieve can be replicated in post processing with bracketing etc .
    also some filter systems can be interchanged eg cokin lee and nisi filters will fit in each others holders

• Advertisement

copperhead wrote: »
    As do I.

hi gbx as a general rule the filters should be as close to the lens as possible without touching the lens, with grad nd filters this isnt a huge issue but if your using neutral density filters EG 10 stop/ 6stop filters any leaks of light can destroy an image. ( also rember to cover eyepiece for long exposure )
    as for quality in filters it vary's vastly as does price, all most all filters will have some sort of color cast some more pronounced than others, theres two main types plastic / resin and glass but beware neither is very robust and will not take any mishandling as the coating will scratch easily,
    it all come down to personal choice and budget as most of what filters can achieve can be replicated in post processing with bracketing etc .
    also some filter systems can be interchanged eg cokin lee and nisi filters will fit in each others holders

Thanks for your reply. I'll take all this on board.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Similar to a Coal Tit but that’s a Great Tit NEW WAVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Your right the Coal Tit has buff underparts where the Great Tit has bright yellow my mistake. Have updated.
    Thanks Myksyk

*schoolboy giggles at the back*

Dave147 wrote: »

Would love to see a black and white version of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

48031900798_9c94d8aede_c.jpg

malin head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

malin head?

Can't remember the exact location. But it was somewhere on Malin head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i thought i recognised the little island; this is it from beside the weather station:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.371128,-7.3389995,3a,75y,74.9h,86.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjdFak_LBKuphb_M6XGKT5g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

yeah, i thought i recognised the little island; this is it from beside the weather station:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.371128,-7.3389995,3a,75y,74.9h,86.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjdFak_LBKuphb_M6XGKT5g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yep, that's the spot alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

curiousb wrote: »
    Calpe, Spain, 13 June 2019

IMG_8917.jpg

You might need to clean your sensor. It looks like there is a smudge in the 3 pictures your posted

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What part of no comments is so bloody hard folks..................

fixxxer wrote: »
    Might just be me at work but images not showing up.
    hmmm, they weren't displaying for me initially, but after copying and pasting the URL's they now work, but I'll check it out in another browser. Thanks for the heads up...
    Just checked in Chrome and Firefox and also on my phone and they seem to be displaying fine. Maybe someone else can let me know if there is a problem with the photos not displaying?
    When I go to your link I get the below message:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /images/IMG_8917.jpg on this server.
    keps wrote: »
    I've tried on Firefox,Chrome and Iphone and cannot see an image ony any
    Hopefully fixed now. I have updated the URL's, think it was to do with Wordpress security setting...
    Meleftone wrote: »
    Nope..can't see any now:o
    Really sorry for this messing aorund :mad: I think I have it now. Image hotlinking was enabled, now disabled!
    Meleftone wrote: »
    All good now

it'd be a bit weird telling someone the image is not showing, in a different thread.

i assume the 'no comments' is intended to refer to commenting on the actual photo itself. the comments above are functional rather than aesthetic.

Two pages of no pretty photos is still two pages of disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nope.

Edit: Actually you're right! I posted it on the 18th last month. I'll replace it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

The forum police out in force recently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

it'd be a bit weird telling someone the image is not showing, in a different thread.

i assume the 'no comments' is intended to refer to commenting on the actual photo itself. the comments above are functional rather than aesthetic.

And you could not even tell them ( according to ED E rules) that you were replying in a different thread -as that would constitute a 'comment'

ED E wrote: »
    Two pages of no pretty photos is still two pages of disappointment.
    what number of posts per page do you have set? i think the boards default is 15 or 20, but there are only 9 posts quoted?

i set it to 30, makes more sense as i usually access boards on a desktop or laptop rather than the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

what number of posts per page do you have set? i think the boards default is 15 or 20, but there are only 9 posts quoted?

i set it to 30, makes more sense as i usually access boards on a desktop or laptop rather than the phone.

It's 15 per page on my pc

Old boards is best boards. Pagination 10.

@Adrian: Nice shot but any hesitance to shoot somebody at an ATM? I know you wont capture anything sensitive from that vantage but it'd still be something Id be very slow to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

ED E wrote: »
    @Adrian: Nice shot but any hesitance to shoot somebody at an ATM? I know you wont capture anything sensitive from that vantage but it'd still be something Id be very slow to do.

None whatsoever. They weren't identifiable, no privacy was compromised and they were in a public space so no expectation of privacy.

Plus they didn't' see me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭redape99

I can't "unsee" the big laughing robot on the left hand side!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Screen Cinema

Oh no! Is that The Screen in D'Olier Street? :( I didn't even know it was being demolished... Mind you, I haven't been in that part of Dublin in ages, I'm so out of the loop! Are they rebuilding it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Hazel Broad Sociology

New Home wrote: »
    Oh no! Is that The Screen in D'Olier Street? :( I didn't even know it was being demolished... Mind you, I haven't been in that part of Dublin in ages, I'm so out of the loop! Are they rebuilding it?

I saw it recently from inside Hawkins house ( in background of photo) . interesting seeing it from above. All that was left was the internal steps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement