Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacment for Cessna 172

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@danmurphy, Norwegian Airlines didnt exist back then so it must have been SAS who were the flag carrier for Norway. The reason EI didn't go and get you is because of insurance; the Govt weren't prepared to cough up the extra amount to pay for War Risks on the aircraft so blame the Govt, not the airline, which was a State organisation back then.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

https://twitter.com/IrishAirCorps/status/1142350999727874048

The Cessna's were retired today. PC12 must be coming soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

When they are selling them if they throw in the rocket launchers I’ll put in a bid

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Now I know my eyesight isn't quite what it was, but I'd bet my mother-in-law I just saw a PC-12 in silvery grey in the skies over Liffey Valley making its way at a good lick towards Baldonnell.

Any piccies lads?

Any word on how the ATR MPA went down?

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    Any word on how the ATR MPA went down?

I presume you don't mean one crashed. Was there a tyre kicking visit?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I presume you don't mean one crashed. Was there a tyre kicking visit?

Yeah I seen in the aircraft forum that there was a Italian military ATR MPA over for the sales pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭sparky42

Yeah I seen in the aircraft forum that there was a Italian military ATR MPA over for the sales pitch

Seems a strange pivot to them given the relatively small military user base of the design and the knowledge base of the Casa usage. Though with the DOD I'm sure we'll end up with something like this.

sparky42 wrote: »
    Seems a strange pivot to them given the relatively small military user base of the design and the knowledge base of the Casa usage. Though with the DOD I'm sure we'll end up with something like this.

The atr YouTube videos look good! You never know they might surprise everyone and also buy pure transport aircraft

The atr YouTube videos look good! You never know they might surprise everyone and also buy pure transport aircraft

Again though a pure Cargo Casa 295 would surely make more sense than a civve aircarft?

• Advertisement

Again though a pure Cargo Casa 295 would surely make more sense than a civve aircarft?

Suppose it depends on weather the replacement is going to be a jack of all trades or just MPA. Would the PC 12’s be able for MPA work or would the salt do damage from low flying

Suppose it depends on weather the replacement is going to be a jack of all trades or just MPA. Would the PC 12’s be able for MPA work or would the salt do damage from low flying

I guess it depends two things, the level of ISTAR fitout and the permitted range and endurance offshore with a single engine. They could probably do some top cover if needed but they aren't in any way a substitute.

You'd have to imagine the 295 is in pole position for the MPA, the lack of rear ramp on the ATR is a big drawback considering we don't have any other ramped transports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Rear ramp is necessary, I have my money on C295M's.

You'd have to imagine the 295 is in pole position for the MPA, the lack of rear ramp on the ATR is a big drawback considering we don't have any other ramped transports.

You'd have to think so, but with the procurement system in the DOD...

If they went with the 295 would the pilots just need a simple upgrade course or would they be looking at having to train on it the same as any other aircraft?

You'd have to think so, but with the procurement system in the DOD...

Would the DOD be willing to take Side deals when buying aircraft like other countries?

Would the DOD be willing to take Side deals when buying aircraft like other countries?

Doubt it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

When they are selling them if they throw in the rocket launchers I’ll put in a bid

Hell, I'll take them without rocket launchers. There seems to be a lack of reasonable aircraft rental options around where I am, and a purchase may or may not be a reasonable option for me. Plus the 172 is something I'm quite comfortable flying.

If someone buys them would a lot of work have to be done considering there age or where they kept top shape

If someone buys them would a lot of work have to be done considering there age or where they kept top shape

I wonder would ya get vintage tax and insurance on them??

• Advertisement

No doubt the 172s have been well maintained, but are they all even airworthy still? I'd be shocked to see them offered for sale, I think the safest thing would be to scrap them or at least break them for parts not subject to fatigue, after all its not a squadron of some rare piston engined fighter.

With the 172s gone what will do target towing now?

When was the last time that was done anyway?

Use a hot air balloon, that's all they'd be able to catch anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No doubt the 172s have been well maintained, but are they all even airworthy still? I'd be shocked to see them offered for sale, I think the safest thing would be to scrap them or at least break them for parts not subject to fatigue, after all its not a squadron of some rare piston engined fighter.

You'll be amazed at the age of 172s which are in routine civilian service, even those at flight schools which get used all but around the clock. Have a look at trade-a-plane and see the years of manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I started my aviation career on those Cessnas (208 being my first) and those Cessnas are the best maintained in the country, bar none. I have worked on many Irish civvy Cessnas and others and some of them are corroded junk. For their age, they have low hours on their airframes and engines and are in fine condition. There are already a few civilian Reims Rockets in Ireland and have been for many years, so getting them onto the civilian register would be simple enough, although, given the past record of the DoD, they'd chop them up rather than sell them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What are they going to give pilot training in now?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »

I seen the PC-9's flying around here so I presume they are taking over its roles for now??

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Thought the PC9's have been doing all the pilot training, the Cessna's have been used for everything and anything that have been needed.

Advertisement