Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

• 06-08-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Now that a lot of our respective counties have been knocked out of the all-ireland, counties will be eager to get their club championships on the road again. In my opinion PP's odds on club games can be exploited easier than county games as there is no substitute for local knowledge.

Just looking at my own county's (roscommon) fixtures this week, there are two games that i think are wayyyy overpriced. I would see the following games as having a 90% chance of going the way of the teams in bold.

St. Brigids are at home and are @4/9 to beat Padraig Pearses . Bridgets are the kingpins of ros club football (havn't won the championship in 2 years though) but have won the last 8 div. 1 u-21 titles. Pearses are widely known as championship bottlers and have lost a few key players this year to emmigration. Brigids are also top of the league with a p.d. of +34 while pearses are fighting relegation. Both teams lost there opening game to castlerea (they have won championship the last two years) but brigids were unfortunate unlike pearses.

Verdict: Brigids by 4/5 pts.

Western Gaels are also at home (it's a **** pitch that everyone hates except themselves) and are 4/9 to beat roscommon gaels. Many tipped western gaels to win this years championship but they slipped on their day first out against elphin (my personal fav. for champ.) Western gaels have 3 county players including cathal cregg (great against sligo and good against cork) and last years captain seanie mcdermott (marked d.kelly out of it in con. final and kept colm o'neill quiet against cork. They also have a 4 or 5 lads who played county u-21 in the last 3/4 years.

Ros gaels rely totally on david o'gara (centre forward for ros) but he's not a scorer. They are also victims of emmigrations and are rock bottom of the league having only scored 82pts in 9 games. They somehow managed to beat elphin in the first round (0-7 to 0-5) on a day with 40mph winds and pissing rain. Although western gaels form in the league has been hit and miss, this is mainly due to having so many county players (both senior and u-21) who were ineligible to play in 4/5 of the games. Western Gaels need to win by 5 pts to progress to the next round so i expect for them to go out all guns blazing.

Verdict: Western gaels by 7/8 pts.

So come on, give your opinions on your own county's club games and how you believe they are going to go!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭colly54

Why cant you bet on dublin clubs??

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

colly54 wrote: »
    Why cant you bet on dublin clubs??

Well i personally dont know anything about the gaa club scene in dublin and wasn't aware that they are playing club championship this weekend. I know that in roscommon no championship games are played while the senior county team are still involved so maybe dublin is different.

I was hoping each person from their respective county would give a tip or two on the club games happening in their own county. Just a thought... I suppose it's popularity over the next few days will decide it's fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Are there any Dublin club game son this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Use the head lads, hardly going to be playing club championship in Dublin this weekend when they've an All-Ireland semi final to start preparing for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I find the key with local club betting is to get in early, as the obvious ricks are usually spotted and the price goes quickly.

I follow the club hurling in Kilkenny, and there have been a few tasty ones this season so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

Use the head lads, hardly going to be playing club championship in Dublin this weekend when they've an All-Ireland semi final to start preparing for.

in cork they are playing all their club games...its retarded
    that just shows how **** our county board are..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

Lay Mountbellew/Moylough to win the Galway SFC at 6/1

Sir Vival wrote: »

Verdict: Brigids by 4/5 pts.

I was spot on with the Brigids result... It finished St. Brigids 0-15 Padraig Pearses 0-10

Verdict: Western gaels by 7/8 pts.

Was just a few points off it this game. It finished Western Gaels 1-14 Roscommon Gaels 2-7. Thats western gaels into relegation trouble. I will definately bet on them to win their relegation match, Way too good of a team to go down.

My bank is sitting a bit prettier tonight. I'll have another bet tomorrow on another club game in ros that is another sure winner if anyones interested. Be back later with details.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TheHopeful

Nice one Sir V, I won a few quid off Weatern Gaels. Lumped on at 4/9 based on your tip , cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭colly54

Ye i thought that until i saw cork games were been played, ah well thats the reason so

Thanks..

• Advertisement

TheHopeful wrote: »
    Nice one Sir V, I won a few quid off Weatern Gaels. Lumped on at 4/9 based on your tip , cheers:)

Glad i helped someone win a bit, it probably wasn't a fortune but their nice games to make up a double, treble, accy etc.

Right there's one really attractive game on tomorrow betting wise in the ros senior championship.

St. Faithleachas vs. St. Croans @4/9. The Faithleachas win on this is way over-priced and is fantastic value in my opinion, they should be more like 1/4 to win this game. Firstly Faithleachas are at home where they are rarely beaten (it's a big new pitch that suits them very well as they're full of pace and an extremely fit team). They're 2nd in the div. 1 league and generally dont conceed more than 9/10 pts. They have no real stand out stars, just a team of very good club players (including former county star and captain gary cox and current county corner back steven orsmby who limited daniel goulding to 1/2 pts from play against cork). They also had 4 or 5 players on the ros junior team (which is a team for players on the fringe of the county panel). In their first outing in the championship they were cruising away to kilbride (up by 5pts at one stage in 2nd half) but they took their foot of the pedal and lost by a single pt.

Meanwhile St. Croans were only promoted from intermediate level last year and still play in div. 2 league, they are doing quite well in that league but in all honesty the standard is red rotten with a lot of should be junior teams playing in it. Croans have no-one currently on the county panel. They're a team of grafters with a couple of nice footballers. Croans objective this year is to stay in the senior championship. Having beaten kilbride at home by 8 pts (croans' pitch is the worst pitch in the county with a massive hill running across it and weeds all over it so it was a big advantage to them. Kilbride were also missing their best player who basically carries them) they are pretty much safe from relegation so long as they avoid a 9 pt. defeat to Faithleachs. Whereas Faithleachs MUST win to progress, this means there will only be one winner.

Verdict: St. Faithleachs by 4/5 pts

St. Faithleachas
    vs. St. Croans @4/9

Match was called off (bereavement). I'll definately be backing them again next week. I'll let ye know what day it's re-fixed for.

The odds for the next round of the galway senior and intermediate championship matchs are up on PP. Nothing really stands out to me as being great value but i dont know a huge about the current form of the teams.

If any galwegian gaa fanatics are around, please give your opinions if any fixture stands out.

Barna ,Killererin, Mountbellew/Moylough and Caherlistran in the Senior for me all immpressive last round although i didnt see Cherlistrane

Galway SFC
    Quarter Finals
    14-08-10
    Pearse Stadium-18.45
    Barna Vs Annaghdown
    In this game I fancy Barna.
    They knocked out one of the favourites in Tuam Stars in the last round.
    They did get a fortuitos goal but it looked liked they were just getting on top.
    They have a Brian Dooher like wing forward Kieran Hanley who runs and runs and runs and kicks some great scores.
    Annaghdown only beat a poor Kilkerrin-Clonberne side by 5 points in Tuam.
    There best player is Frankie Burke but there often not able to get enough supply into him.
    I would expect Barna to advance as i was very impressed with them in the last round.
    5 Pts each way at 13/8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

5 Pts each way

I assume that's the outright?

sonnky wrote: »
    Barna ,Killererin, Mountbellew/Moylough and Caherlistran in the Senior for me all immpressive last round although i didnt see Cherlistrane

Sonnky that kind of post is no good to no man. I'd like to read a sensible well thought out post on reasons why you believe a team will win like who's at home, what kind of pitch it is, league form, previous championshop result if applicable, any county players, injuries/emmigration of players, history between the two clubs playing etc etc.

Please dont post here again if your going to continue making what appear to be random selections...

EDIT: Just seen your post there, that's more like it!

Doing a crazy accumulator this week.

(1) Clara v Tullamore @ 3/10 . 13th august(TODAY) at 19:15

(2) Calry/St. Josephs v St Johns @2/9. 14th august at 17:45
    (3) Garrycastle v Mullingar Shamrocks @1/2. 14th august at 18:45
    (4) Cooley v St. Marys @1/5. 14th august at 19:00
    (5) St. Faithleachas v St. Croans @2/5. 14th august at 19:00
    (6) Abbeylara v Rathcline @1/4. 14th august at 19:30
    (7) Eastern harps v St. Molaise Gaels @3/10. 14th august at 19:30
    (8) St. Malachys v Mattock Rangers @1/10. 15th august at 17:30
    (9) Aghda v Duhallow @8/15. 24th august at 18:30
    (10) Ballyhassig v Erins own @ 1/3. 13th august 19:00
    (11) Clough/Ballacolla v St.Lazerians @1/33 14th august 19:00
    (12) Tullaroan v James stephens @1/3. 15th august at 13:30
    (13) Kilcotton v Portlaoise @ 2/9. 15th august at 18:00
    (14) Graigue v Ballyhale Shamrocks @ 1/6. 15th august at 18:30
    (15) Killeagh v Sarsfields @1/5. 15th august at 19:00
    (16) Shamrock gaels v Geevagh @1/2. 15th august at 14:00

€2.50 returns €128.98

Doing the same accy with Shamrock gaels to win instead of geevagh as thats the only fixture im not 100% sure on...:pac:...

€1.25 returns € 123.61

My main bet to follow...

EDIT: 2 down 14 to go :p (Winners in RED)
    Losers in Blue (well abbeylara drew, shouldn't have gone near garrycastle without the dolans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

went for the treble of

Cloyne 4/9
    Erins own 1/3
    St Faithleachs 2/5

And this accum for small stakes

Garrycastle @ 1/2
    Portlaoise @ 2/9
    James Stephens @ 1/3
    Erins Own (Kilkenny) @ 4/9
    Abbeylara @ 1/4
    Clara @ 3/10

dotsflan wrote: »
    went for the treble of

Cloyne 4/9
    Erins own 1/3
    St Faithleachs 2/5

I've gone for the same but included ballyhale shamrocks aswell. Erins own better do the business tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gaatipstr

Offaly SFC Round 4

Walsh Island v Tubber - 4/7 - 7/1 - 13/8

Im putting my money on Tubber on this one. Walsh Island are the current Intermediate champions of Offaly and are doing well in there first season senior winning 2 and drawing 1. They have good forwards and a strong midfield but there backs arnt the strongest. Conceded 1-1 in injury time last weekend to the draw the match against one of the teams tipped for relegation. Tubber, altough were beaten well against Rhode last weekend, will be boosted by the return of there 2 u21 starts from america during the week. They have one of the fastest forwards in Offaly at the moment in Bernard Allen and i can see him posing real problems for D'Island defence if he gets the right ball in to him. This is a must win game for Tubber as a defeat will more or less leave them facing relegation so im tipping 3Pts win on Tubber at 13/8 and a 1Pt saver on the draw at 7/1

gaatipstr wrote: »
    Offaly SFC Round 4

Walsh Island v Tubber - 4/7 - 7/1 - 13/8

Im putting my money on Tubber on this one. Walsh Island are the current Intermediate champions of Offaly and are doing well in there first season senior winning 2 and drawing 1. They have good forwards and a strong midfield but there backs arnt the strongest. Conceded 1-1 in injury time last weekend to the draw the match against one of the teams tipped for relegation. Tubber, altough were beaten well against Rhode last weekend, will be boosted by the return of there 2 u21 starts from america during the week. They have one of the fastest forwards in Offaly at the moment in Bernard Allen and i can see him posing real problems for D'Island defence if he gets the right ball in to him. This is a must win game for Tubber as a defeat will more or less leave them facing relegation so im tipping 3Pts win on Tubber at 13/8 and a 1Pt saver on the draw at 7/1

Good post, would put something on it if i hadn't a biggish bet made already. Hope it comes through for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

i see erins own won by 3 points:)

clara beat tullamore easily too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭matt1958

Gonna go with a wee double @ 2.02 stake €30

Cloyne @ 1.44
    St Faithleachas @ 1.40

Thanks for the info here and in coughlans log

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Clubmad

I stumbled over this thread looking for the result of the Ballyhassig v Erins Own game last night.....I have massive accum on myself, 17 teams in all, a lot of similatiry to yours Sir Vival.

A couple of bits of info i picked up during the week as regards this weekend are as follows:

St. Johns in Sligo, they were beaten narrowly last weekend and talked to 2 players who played against them, they reckon Johns could be the Dark horses for the champo, there full of young lads with no fear and full of running and energy and will be very hard to stop. At 2/9 this weekend against a poor team they seem a sure thing.

In Mayo, theres one game and this is my Nap of the weekend. Breaffy play a west Mayo amalgamtion team, they need to win by 8 to qualify so are all but out as this Breaffy team are hitting form. They were beaten earlier in the group stages by 1 point to last years champions also. The West Mayo team are also missing there influential captain. The passion in an amalgation team is never that of a club team and at 4/9 see this one been a one sided affair 8 points plus.

In Wexford, St.Annes hurling team are playing, there are 1/3 and when i asked my man in wexford about this he couldnt believe it. He compared it to Kilkenny playing Kerry hurlers and reckons his cars keys if not the house should be on it.

Back to the west and in Roscommon, i've got good word for St. Faith, a lot of the reasons been the same as whats mentioned in previous threads. 2/5 seems fairly reasonable to taking them.

In Galway, the word in the Camp is that they have picked up training in the last fornight after suffering a surprise defeat and that the minds and appitite is definetly back, given the derby nature of the game there's always risks but i'd be surprised that a well organised consistant team like Corofin with a great record over the last few years would not see this one out with a few to spare....4/11 is best on offer.

Thats my 2 pence, would love to see more lads on this, as local knowledge is the way forward.

Finally, I was warned off Garrycastle, top of table clash and 2 many ifs and buts for a 1/2 shot....Lomans at 4/5 could be the best price bet of the weekend, playinf poor all season they need to win to avoid the relegation battle.....Word is they have sorted a lot of troubles out and should see this out!

matt1958 wrote: »
    Gonna go with a wee double @ 2.02 stake €30

Cloyne @ 1.44
    St Faithleachas @ 1.40

Thanks for the info here and in coughlans log

Hope it goes well for you. Dont know anything myself about cloyne but stuck them in my bet aswell. If both teams win, a lot of us here will be laughing.

Faithleachas have gone to 1/3 and cloyne have gone to 2/5 so there must be considerable interest in both teams (thanks to boards no doubt :p)

Clubmad wrote: »
    I stumbled over this thread looking for the result of the Ballyhassig v Erins Own game last night.....I have massive accum on myself, 17 teams in all, a lot of similatiry to yours Sir Vival.

A couple of bits of info i picked up during the week as regards this weekend are as follows:

Great post, welcome to boards. The more club fanatics we can get on board the better.

Was tempted with breaffy myself (i know they have 2 or 3 O'shea's and a few others) but that's really all i had to go on so i left them out. With your info would definately have added them to my accy at the very least, maybe you could post up certain fancies a bit earlier next week?

As for garrycastle, i know it's a risk but there's always a few of them in an accy that are there to beef up the odds. I personally would never bet against a team with dessie dolan, pure genius.

Best of luck with your bets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Clubmad

If I'd known this thread was Here o defo would have been writing earlier in the week so next week I'm looking forward to already.

By the way, I hate to be the one to brung bad news but Dessie is on his honeymoon at the moment ans not playing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭matt1958

Hope it goes well for you. Dont know anything myself about cloyne but stuck them in my bet aswell. If both teams win, a lot of us here will be laughing.

Faithleachas have gone to 1/3 and cloyne have gone to 2/5 so there must be considerable interest in both teams (thanks to boards no doubt :p)

I was thinking of putting another €20 this morning an seen the odds had shortened so left it alone.. I think 1.82 or something like that.. best of luck with your bets

• Advertisement

Cloyne 0-14 Blackrock 0-13. GET IN

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement