Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Off to see Santa in Arnotts in the morning. Kids don’t know, they think they are going to school tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,819 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

TRS30 wrote: »
    Off to see Santa in Arnotts in the morning. Kids don’t know, they think they are going to school tomorrow:D

Aww , that's so lovely , I can imagine the excitement in the morning when they find out , enjoy !!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lads, that McDonald's Christmas ad is deadly.

Go Archie!

Oh yeah, an update from Lapland. Look at the smile on her face!

497505.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just an update of my islanded Christmas. The weather is and has been and will be a huge challenge this year but I am pleased with me re the planning and provisioning ! NB I am totally islandbound and often bedbound

Currently, as the shoppers just got back before the current howling gale, JUST! Brought the boxes they left in soon after 4 and by half past could not open the door.... Still have the coal and cases of catfood to rescue at some stage.. Cannot get out safely today and that is fine.

I am very traditional, and these traditions mean a lot to me at my advanced age and solitude.

Always ( !) outside decorations go up on Second Sunday in Advent. No way this year and may have to jettison the whole idea. Oh a neighbour kindly drove me to the tiny church so I could set up the Advent Wreath,, Bliss

Shopping; so far I now have almost everything except the turkey... They only get the fresh ones in too near the date to risk with the weather/ferry etc so he is trying to get me a frozen one. First year I have not been able to get to town myself

I have made plans! They do an excellent Turkey and ham ready meal so I have one in the freezer and if need be will extract the meat and add my roast potatoes etc! Nothing will stop Christmas Dinner!
    I did have one ages ago and it was very good.

Puddings and mince pies are here... one disappointment that the cheese I always get at Christmas. wensleydale with cranberries is not available …. wonder if cheddar and cranberry ...lol...

Tomorrow is Third Sunday in Advent; the Gaudete Sunday, so will put up my brand new Christmas lights; needed the colour this year.... And break open the mince pies....

So we are on track for my remote and isolated seasonal feast! So many sweet memories..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Heading to a Nativity Play. We have a vested interest in one of the Wise Men.

These school plays are always a great event and a hearty laugh at times.

It's Bambinelli Sunday here this weekend: When all our baby Jesus crib figures get blessed in preparation for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Christmas party day today! The office is buzzing and the boys have on their best shirts and hair gel. My Christmas dress is on and we're all ready to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It's Bambinelli Sunday here this weekend: When all our baby Jesus crib figures get blessed in preparation for Christmas.

They do that in our local church too. We will miss it this year due to a wedding but I'm still laughing from last year. Our baby Jesus is glued into our crib so last year, all the other children were up on the altar clutching their little baby figurines and our girl had the entire crib :pac::pac::pac: Still cracks me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Over on the weather forum, the words snow, Saturday and south have been used.....:eek: I'm slightly excited....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just an update of my islanded Christmas. The weather is and has been and will be a huge challenge this year but I am pleased with me re the planning and provisioning ! NB I am totally islandbound and often bedbound

Currently, as the shoppers just got back before the current howling gale, JUST! Brought the boxes they left in soon after 4 and by half past could not open the door.... Still have the coal and cases of catfood to rescue at some stage.. Cannot get out safely today and that is fine.

I am very traditional, and these traditions mean a lot to me at my advanced age and solitude.

Always ( !) outside decorations go up on Second Sunday in Advent. No way this year and may have to jettison the whole idea. Oh a neighbour kindly drove me to the tiny church so I could set up the Advent Wreath,, Bliss

Shopping; so far I now have almost everything except the turkey... They only get the fresh ones in too near the date to risk with the weather/ferry etc so he is trying to get me a frozen one. First year I have not been able to get to town myself

I have made plans! They do an excellent Turkey and ham ready meal so I have one in the freezer and if need be will extract the meat and add my roast potatoes etc! Nothing will stop Christmas Dinner!
    I did have one ages ago and it was very good.

Puddings and mince pies are here... one disappointment that the cheese I always get at Christmas. wensleydale with cranberries is not available …. wonder if cheddar and cranberry ...lol...

Tomorrow is Third Sunday in Advent; the Gaudete Sunday, so will put up my brand new Christmas lights; needed the colour this year.... And break open the mince pies....

So we are on track for my remote and isolated seasonal feast! So many sweet memories..

I must say Grace your christmas build up sounds so incredibly peaceful, despite the obvious hardships.

Ours in comparison seems to be shaped by a work Frenzy that leaves you with the feeling of missing out & not being able to stop, look around & take in the build up.

Every year I promise myself I'll try to take more in & stop once in a while to enjoy it, but every year December comes & work goes into some weird kind of overdrive for no other reason that it seems like the world is ending on the 20th or suchlike...

Either way, enjoy every moment of your Christmas, & fingers crossed the weather wont hit you too hard!!

Take care.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Christmas party day today! The office is buzzing and the boys have on their best shirts and hair gel. My Christmas dress is on and we're all ready to go!

Tonight is to be the busiest night of the year in Dublin apparently, the 'other' Black Friday so to speak where every bar & restaurant is rammed & taxi's are at a premium... enjoy the party however & take care getting home!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Out now at JC's supermarket!
    78844536_1441453379354873_6541138189971619840_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=u31kr-f8Nl4AQk4iCGHIT6r8nRQsfLjS2I2HzFaOz0-owZcwA3US3Oy8Q&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=1fff59f89efcc6b6a2389e33fc85dc09&oe=5E6C4B4B

Where is JC’s supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Where is JC’s supermarket?

Swords Shopping Center!

Never been. That’s ridiculously early. Talk about rushing through the year. I can imagine some very confused kids getting one from granny for Christmas.

Thank you and yes it looks from what little i see online, manic out there When I was teaching at least it stopped at the end of term.

Longed for this life for years and what folk think of as hardships are what keeps me focussed and more alive. Lost track of the folk who think everyone of ,y age should be in prison aka sheltered accommodation ( My term for it as if I were put in a warm place with nothing to do I would be dead in a month! ) Here I am left to my own devices, can organise supplies with some ingenuity...

I miss some things occasionally,, Used to do a "church crawl" admiring the Cribs, Until I got to Killarney. If you get a chance go to the cathedral as they have the loveliest Nativiity ever. An entire side chapel.. Used to sit there long whiles. Asking on the Kerry forum if they ever film it. Essence of Christmas.

My outwards errands end this coming Thursday with all supplies in. Christmas lights etc up... Then Christmas begins on the Eve for me, with Nine Lessons and Carols from Kings College.

Will keep you in quietude here in my thoughts...
    DvB wrote: »
    I must say Grace your christmas build up sounds so incredibly peaceful, despite the obvious hardships.

Ours in comparison seems to be shaped by a work Frenzy that leaves you with the feeling of missing out & not being able to stop, look around & take in the build up.

Every year I promise myself I'll try to take more in & stop once in a while to enjoy it, but every year December comes & work goes into some weird kind of overdrive for no other reason that it seems like the world is ending on the 20th or suchlike...

Either way, enjoy every moment of your Christmas, & fingers crossed the weather wont hit you too hard!!

Take care.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Never been. That’s ridiculously early. Talk about rushing through the year. I can imagine some very confused kids getting one from granny for Christmas.

You don't know the half of it - those are the Easter eggs for 2021!!! :pac:

New Home wrote: »
    You don't know the half of it - those are the Easter eggs for 2021!!! :pac:

As in expiry date? What on earth are they putting in them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No need for an expiry date - they'll have hatched, by then. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

As in expiry date? What on earth are they putting in them?
    I think that was a joke. :pac:

• Advertisement

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.....

Had a great laugh, and was very proud of our wee grandson, at the Nativity play.

Picked up the Christmas RTE Guide - nothing much in it but it's a tradition.

Supermarket and shopping centre were manic this morning.

And my outdoor Christmas light projector gets turned on tonight.

🎅🤶🌨🎄

Swords Shopping Center!

We’re practically neighbors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We’re practically neighbors :)

I just know where it is!
    I live in Cork!

Santa was brill, same one as last year and he remembered us! Elf1 & 2 were great, sat on his knee chatted away, told him what they wanted etc. Met some friends by chance on way out so went for a quick coffee and catch up. Home now with Christmas onesies on (kids not me :D), deciding what games to play and then going to find a Christmas movie to watch.

So glad I decided to take a last minute day off, will probably pay for it next week however will be worth it.

I just know where it is!
    I live in Cork!

Then we are definitely not :D

Hoping by nightfall to get my new lights up and working. LED battery ones and new to me... a welcome cash gift supplied the lights; so grateful

Decision not yet made re the outside decorations. The big star might just stay... well tied into the tall bushy fuchsia.. facing south ! Have had it for 30 years!

Yen for a small artificial Christmas tree but that will remain a yen. Once the lights and Crib are up in here tonight... it will feel so much better.
    I was hoping to get up the lanes to pick evergreen but that is just not on with the high winds. So thankful I got the Advent Wreath in the church before the weather worsened.

UPDATE. Another gale warning so star is not arriving yet... Also bitter cold so an indoor day .. well humanity survives through adaptability so " we always do it this way" is for the dinosaurs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

DvB wrote: »
    Tonight is to be the busiest night of the year in Dublin apparently, the 'other' Black Friday so to speak where every bar & restaurant is rammed & taxi's are at a premium... enjoy the party however & take care getting home!

We were in Belfast City Hall so thankfully didn't have to bother with pubs and the general public. Dinner started at 1.30 and we were turfed out at 9. Home in bed by 10.30 so we avoided the mad rush for a taxi at 12 or 1am. Was about as perfect as a christmas party can be. Everyone in great form, plenty of booze in, good craic, all the chats, little boogie and the obligatory circle at the end of the night where everyone hugs while belting out Fairytale of New York. :D:D:D

Kids and wife home from Lapland. The air stewards were dressed as elves. Kids were singing into the microphone on the way home on the plane. They got certificates for being Santa's helper, for crossing the artic circle, a diploma for the artic circle club, and a reindeer driving licence. I think there's one for baking Christmas cookies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

Today is my birthday. The weather is nice and cold. Only 10 days to go now until Christmas Eve. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

No Harry Potter on RTE over the Christmas 😩

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement