Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

deandean wrote: »
    So Pearse Doherty's car went on fire. Scary! Trust everybody involved is ok. Wondering if it's that brand associated with recent EGR recalls?
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sfs-pearse-doherty-and-family-have-lucky-escape-as-car-catches-fire-969086.html

SF obviously unfamiliar with exploding cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Speaking of that shape Avensis, we have a 10 reg diesel, 240,000 miles or 385,000 km on it now. Still on the original clutch, turbo, injectors, DMF, EGR and DPF. Truly remarkable mechanical reliability really. Those things just keep going and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Speaking of avensis' I changed jobs a few weeks ago and have a company van full time now. Mine has become a reliable garden ornament. Dont know what to do about the multi vehicle setup. We have the van, her yaris an avensis and a classic squeezed into the driveway now. I have no urge to drive it for the craic, its not that sort of car! NCT is up in february. Dont know if its worth keeping just for no claims preservation. Going to look into getting classic insurance on the back of the van as a main vehicle. Dont have great hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would herself drive the Avensis instead of the Yaris? If so then sell the Yaris. If herself is your spouse then you can rotate between yourself and herself as the main/named driver on the policy of the Avensis every 12 months to maintain your NCB. Insurance companies have no problem doing that once your husband and wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

That would be the expensive way! No plans to get married soon :)

The yaris is a 2017 hybrid yolk so the 02 avensis is a hard sell!

Was thinking of just getting her to take out a classic policy with me as a named driver and I'll just ditch my ncb. I prefer running older 90s cars anyway. Ill look into the company car/van classic insurance thing first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What's the name of that tape used to stick on the pressed number plates?

3m something?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    What's the name of that tape used to stick on the pressed number plates?

3m something?

Foam tape

Anyone watch the new Ryan Reynolds movie, 6 Underground on Netflix yet? First 20 mins is a wild car chase through Florence in a florescent green Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. Typical Michael Bay over the top stunts and explosions but still enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Got 515 euro back from a VRT dispute today from a car that was VRTd for 1200 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

bazz26 wrote: »
    Anyone watch the new Ryan Reynolds movie, 6 Underground on Netflix yet? First 20 mins is a wild car chase through Florence in a florescent green Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. Typical Michael Bay over the top stunts and explosions but still enjoyable.

Ronin is still probably my favourite film for car chases, should still hold up well these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    [...]

3m something?

3M VHB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone know the procedure for paying off HP early with VW Bank. Can it be done electronically via bank transfer or do you actually have to go to their offices with a bank draft ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Ring them and they'll tell you what to do. Bank transfer is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone know the procedure for paying off HP early with VW Bank. Can it be done electronically via bank transfer or do you actually have to go to their offices with a bank draft ?

Just do a transfer direct to them.

A4 or A6?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A4 or A6?

RS4 or RS6 only option....

A4 or A6?
    RS4 or RS6 only option....

People always assume I am changing my car. Not sure where everyone has got that view from :pac:

Anyway I am keeping the Golf. Just want to pay it off as although the interest rates on savings were bad before they seem to have all been cut there again so makes sense to clear the loan early and save some little bit of interest on that.

Also would need to clear it soon enough anyway for mortgage application purposes as after what feels like a long time of putting it off I am hoping to buy a house mid to late next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Anyone pass the crash on M50 this morning about 5.30am around junction 10 southbound, when I passed one car was across (blocking) the 3rd lane and one in the ditch, there were a few people standing by the left side of the road, so I presume all were ok, the car blocking the third lane was dark and hazards were on but not visible till you were very close, and there are some cars I see at that hour of the morning are only flying.. hope all are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Is there no longer a 4x4 forum?

If there is can someone point me in the direction of it. I need some LR SIII advice.

Haulage and heavy machinery?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Is there no longer a 4x4 forum?

If there is can someone point me in the direction of it. I need some LR SIII advice.

Defender topic....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794880&page=124

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Preferred the old Postman Pat.

Got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 5 front tyres fitted this evening. Will be interested to see how they work out. They seem to get good reviews and I always found Asy 3 tyres to be great.

What size are they CIP?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What size are they CIP?

225/35/19 Size.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well got that hole patched the NCT guy busted through on me on the rear chassis.

Have to say they done a great job. Few other jobs to do before I can send it through again.

Parking light bulbs are blue. Passed all previous tests with them bulbs so who knows.

Front spot lights come on with parking lights and stay on with dims and full which passed previous years also so have to sort that.

Anti roll bar bushing has to be replaced and one other job that I cannot remember, something electrical.

The main one was the welding as I couldn't do that myself. If I can get those jobs done and can find a spot some time Monday then all will be good if not I will have to wait till they are open after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Just disconnect the front fogs for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just disconnect the front fogs for the test.

That's what I am going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

That's what I am going to do.

They won't pass it if you just simply disconnect them.

You have to disconnect them, remove the button that operates them and also remove the actual lamp units also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement