Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This is it boys, this is war...

• 12-12-2019 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭

Tesla vehicles and a few other electric vehicles blocked a gas station in Croatia in a protest organized by the local unofficial Tesla owners club against the lack of action to prevent EV charging stations being blocked by parked gas-powered cars, also known as Icing.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/11/tesla-electric-cars-block-gas-station-protest/

Won't be long before we see similar here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The regular cars should just go to a petrol station instead of a gas station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭CoBo55

IcEing... Internal combustion engine...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I for one, will definitely not be supporting action of this kind. If anybody even raises it as a good idea on our little slice of motors we'll shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

liamog wrote: »
    I for one, will definitely not be supporting action of this kind. If anybody even raises it as a good idea on our little slice of motors we'll shut it down.

Good, it seems very immature and a tit for tat action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Old ICEee and new EV
    could live together in perfect harmony ,
    side by side in the garage forecourt
    oh lord, why wont we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Load of bollix really. A pile of cars blocking the pumps of a private enterprise to stop something that is unpoliceable. There is zero onus on garage owners to pay to enforce proper filling/charging etiquette, when its the general public's general ignorance causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

liamog wrote: »
    D3V!L wrote: »
    Good, it seems very immature and a tit for tat action.

In fairness, it was a six-minute publicity stunt to raise awareness. Yes I know there's a theoretical possibility that someone with a sick child urgently needed to buy petrol so that they could get them to hospital right at that moment, but it's unlikely that it actually caused anyone any real hardship. You could be stopped for longer because of a Garda checkpoint or a broken-down bus.

The idea behind it is to get the authorities to sit up and take notice of the issue. It's a very unpleasant feeling to be very low on juice, find an available charger on the app, only to arrive and find a fossil car blocking access. This has happened to me several times. What's even worse is if you don't have any redress in law to stop it from happening, which is the point of the protest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

fricatus wrote: »
    In fairness, it was a six-minute publicity stunt to raise awareness. Yes I know there's a theoretical possibility that someone with a sick child urgently needed to buy petrol so that they could get them to hospital right at that moment, but it's unlikely that it actually caused anyone any real hardship. You could be stopped for longer because of a Garda checkpoint or a broken-down bus.

The idea behind it is to get the authorities to sit up and take notice of the issue. It's a very unpleasant feeling to be very low on juice, find an available charger on the app, only to arrive and find a fossil car blocking access. This has happened to me several times. What's even worse is if you don't have any redress in law to stop it from happening, which is the point of the protest.

Exactly, just a short stunt to draw attention to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone else see that video last week in America where at least 60 Tesla cars were queuing to charge their batterys up. The que was at least a mile long. They blamed it on the Christmas rush. More like lack of charge stations.

I 'd say they were waiting in line at least 2 or 3 hours depending on where you were in the que as they take a long time to charge up fully. Even with the quick charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it not be better to take photo's of the cars blocking EV chargepoints and publicly shame them on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Six minutes... They made the statement without really inconveniencing anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Tesla vehicles and a few other electric vehicles blocked a gas station in Croatia in a protest organized by the local unofficial Tesla owners club against the lack of action to prevent EV charging stations being blocked by parked gas-powered cars, also known as Icing.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/11/tesla-electric-cars-block-gas-station-protest/

Won't be long before we see similar here...

You dont need EVs to do it here, people in ICE cars seem to think its a good idea to use pumps as a parking space while they head off into the join the queue in at the deli and sit down and enjoy their jumbo breakfast roll.

Most pumps are closer than the parking spaces and people are very lazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Ah bless, I remember a time in my life when I didnt have better things to do as well, great days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone else see that video last week in America where at least 60 Tesla cars were queuing to charge their batterys up. The que was at least a mile long. They blamed it on the Christmas rush. More like lack of charge stations.

I 'd say they were waiting in line at least 2 or 3 hours depending on where you were in the que as they take a long time to charge up fully. Even with the quick charge.

30 minutes per car to charge.

Advertisement