Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Single Pole Normally Closed 55 amp contactor replacement

• 06-12-2019 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Needing a replacement as one burnt out back at home from our shower. Googles and searches of Ebay/Amazon dont cut it. Can anyone who knows their salt point me to where i can get one. Also tried CT and Eastern shops.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Although you may only require a single pole to be switched a 2 or 3 pole contractor that is correctly rated would work just as well and would be much easier to find. The only issue is that dimensionally it may be larger.

Also remember that 55A is a minimum current rating (so a 63A device would exceed your requirements).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

2011 wrote: »
    Although you may only require a single pole to be switched a 2 or 3 pole contractor that is correctly rated would work just as well and would be much easier to find. The only issue is that dimensionally it may be larger.

Also remember that 55A is a minimum current rating (so a 63A device would exceed your requirements).

Thanks for the advice, just to clarify...63A is ok (albeit too much)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Thanks for the advice, just to clarify...63A is ok (albeit too much)?

63A is the rating of the contactor, it's not a fuse / MCB. Actually out of interest why do you have a contactor, is there an interlock with some other device in your home?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The current rating of a device such as this states the maximum current that it is designed to carry, as such there is no issue with this rating being too high.

I am surprised that a normally closed contactor is required, I would have expected the contactor to be normally open. A normally closed contactor would fail to a position that would keep the load connected to the supply which is usually not desirable. Circuits are generally designed so that when something goes wrong they fail to a safe state which is with the load disconnected. More often than not this would be achieved by using a normally open contactor.

2011 wrote: »

I am surprised that a normally closed contactor is required, I would have expected the contactor to be normally open. A normally closed contactor would fail to a position that would keep the load connected to the supply which is usually not desirable. Circuits are generally designed so that when something goes wrong they fail to a safe state which is with the load disconnected. More often than not this would be achieved by using a normally open contactor.

Hi, just to add more information...the system is in such a way that there are 2 showers. One will not turn on without the other being off. So the closed contactor is for this purpose i guess.

Found this site which seems quite comprehensive

https://ie.farnell.com/c/automation-process-control/contactors-accessories/contactors/prl/results/2

But i cant find exact specification (thread title).

• Advertisement

Bump!

Is there a boffin onboard who can link me to somewhere i can purchase this? Thanks if you can help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Bump!

Is there a boffin onboard who can link me to somewhere i can purchase this? Thanks if you can help

You need a priority board Mr boffin.

Advertisement