Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone call from Dr's receptionist

• 27-11-2019 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I had an abdominal ultrasound a couple of weeks ago. I've just had a phone call from my GP's receptionist saying the Dr wants me to make an appointment for a 'review'.

I'm a bit worried. I assumed, unless they found something serious, they'd tell you over the phone. Am I just panicking needlessly and is this normal procedure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Normal enough procedure to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If there was something urgent they’d be asking you to come ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

splinter65 wrote: »
    If there was something urgent they’d be asking you to come ASAP.

True, but doctors don't request you to come in for a Review on the off-chance that they'll think of something to say.

My GP, anyways, sends "test results normal, no followup needed" if there's no problem. A request to come in means there's a problem of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

True, but doctors don't request you to come in for a Review on the off-chance that they'll think of something to say.My GP, anyways, sends "test results normal, no followup needed" if there's no problem. A request to come in means there's a problem of some sort.

I'd disagree tbh. Depends on the doctor. My own likes to go over results in person. Of course that means more cash for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

True, but doctors don't request you to come in for a Review on the off-chance that they'll think of something to say.

My GP, anyways, sends "test results normal, no followup needed" if there's no problem. A request to come in means there's a problem of some sort.

This is really unfair and likely to cause undue stress for people.

This is not true.

Very often, a request will be made to come in to discuss a result because there needs to be a conversation about what will happen next.
    This is dependent on what was found but even a normal result needs some sort of ongoing management as the test was not requested just for the sake of it.

A request to come in only means that a result is now available - the actual nature of the result cannot be gleaned from the phone call received.

• Advertisement
Advertisement