Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

120 Pages=120 mins rule

• 27-11-2019 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hey all hope you are keepin well

So I am about to finish a screenplay that has been knocking around my head for a while. This is my 1st one so it has been an awesome experience. I have read on various sites that the general rule of thumb is to keep it at 120 pages as that should equal 2 hours. As I finish the 100 page mark, I know in my heart and soul my story is definitely going to run past that mark and it is a thorn in the back of my brain.

Is it a case of finish the story out right then make the painful decision as to what has to be chopped? Which will raise a load of different headaches. For the more knowledgeable here, what has been your experience on this and can you give any advice?

Oh the genre is drama FYI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Finish first, edit later

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

You can’t edit a blank page. If you speak with any writer, they’ll tell you that a story will be different from first draft to last edit. Editing is like doing magic on your work. Nobody writes a perfect first draft. I’ve spoken with authors who’ve written 120k words in their first draft and had to chop it down to 80k.

Finish it, see where you stand, read over it and figure out where you can improve. Unnecessary characters (maybe you can merge two into one), plots that don’t add much, plots that should be bigger/smaller. Tighten up your dialogue.

Do you know a lot about structure, OP? Once you’re done, it’d be worth going back and see what points you hit when and how you could keep it tighter. In a good film, you should reach the moment that makes the viewer think “I can’t turn this off” on page 15. That moment should be a big change for the character. Make sure you’re hitting that on page 15, not page 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

You can’t edit a blank page. If you speak with any writer, they’ll tell you that a story will be different from first draft to last edit. Editing is like doing magic on your work. Nobody writes a perfect first draft. I’ve spoken with authors who’ve written 120k words in their first draft and had to chop it down to 80k.

Finish it, see where you stand, read over it and figure out where you can improve. Unnecessary characters (maybe you can merge two into one), plots that don’t add much, plots that should be bigger/smaller. Tighten up your dialogue.

Do you know a lot about structure, OP? Once you’re done, it’d be worth going back and see what points you hit when and how you could keep it tighter. In a good film, you should reach the moment that makes the viewer think “I can’t turn this off” on page 15. That moment should be a big change for the character. Make sure you’re hitting that on page 15, not page 50.

Great advice mate.

In so far as "Beginning, Middle, End", and every scene having a "point" or driving to the next scene I am aware of that much yes. I definitely think I can tighten up some of the dialogue though.

Advertisement