Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place in Europe to marry quickly and easily?

• 09-11-2019 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My non-EU girlfriend and I need to get married as she will soon be reaching the end of her two-year student visa and we very much want to stay together.

Time is of the essence. We are considering getting married in Gibraltar or Denmark. The latter would have been my preference but I understand that the law there was changed at the start of the year and the process is a little more complicated now.

Has anyone got married in either? Or can otherwise advise? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭LuciX

My non-EU girlfriend and I need to get married as she will soon be reaching the end of her two-year student visa

That's not true!
    The visa can be renewed.

No one needs to get married after a short 2yrs in order to stay in a country.
    There are ways around it.

Buy a course or start a degree, simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My non-EU girlfriend and I need to get married as she will soon be reaching the end of her two-year student visa and we very much want to stay together.

Time is of the essence. We are considering getting married in Gibraltar or Denmark. The latter would have been my preference but I understand that the law there was changed at the start of the year and the process is a little more complicated now.

Has anyone got married in either? Or can otherwise advise? Thanks

Why not try and do things legally?

If I had married my non-EU ex, it wouldn't have let her just live in Europe with me. Or at least that's the impression I was under.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Myles de Selby

Why not try and do things legally?

What a strange question! We are doing things legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you want it real quick and easy go to Las Vegas (I'm not joking). Your marriage cert can be used in Ireland, you just need to make sure what her country of origin needs to officially recognize the marriage.
    It's quick and cheap there with no waiting period.

I would try to work other ways out to get a visa renewal though, if you're not 1000% sure that this is it this can be a major headache down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Glad you asked.

Denmark. There's an island called Aeroskobing about 2/3 hours from Copenhagen,

My uncle and his American girlfriend got married there, as they needed to make it somewhat urgent.
    They announced it at Christmas and were married in February.

The whole family went over and made a little trip out of it, a beautiful, little village, all the houses like doll houses, we rented Air bnbs, you can either drive from Copenhagen (thats what we did) or get a train or two, then catch a boat across to the island. Cheap flights to Copenhagen too.

The marriage cert is recognized all over the world and can be issued in 5 different languages.

It's honestly really beautiful, and the marriage process was easy peasy I think!:) done in 10 mins

https://www.google.com/search?q=marriages+in+aeroskobing&rlz=1C1CHBD_enIE834IE835&oq=marriages+in+aeroskobing&aqs=chrome..69i57.2151j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

How "soon" is soon? There is a standard 3 month notice period in Ireland but they will waive the 3 months in extenuating circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

love_love wrote: »
    How "soon" is soon? There is a standard 3 month notice period in Ireland but they will waive the 3 months in extenuating circumstances.

Someone's visa running out is not extenuating circumstances. It's more so if someone is on their death bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

15 days in the UK. Go to Gretna Green! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

Monife wrote: »
    Someone's visa running out is not extenuating circumstances. It's more so if someone is on their death bed.

We went to court for the three month waiver. It was certainly not death bed only, court was full of applicants, judge asked a couple of questions to check for duress and also to get a feel for the need for waiver being legit and the permission was granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

You can get married in New York or Las Vegas
    You need to be in the relevant state 24hrs prior to applying for marriage cert
    then you can get married

Advertisement