Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carrantuohill easiest/safest route

123457»

Comments

jusmeig wrote: »
    Do you know what condition Central and O Sheas are in?
    I've been looking for an excuse to dust off the ice axe and crampons.

Last weekend, you'd get to try them out a little in Central, not necessary for O'Shea's and a few did it just in boots...although if someone had crampons it would be no harm to put them on for safety, plus would be a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Last weekend, you'd get to try them out a little in Central, not necessary for O'Shea's and a few did it just in boots...although if someone had crampons it would be no harm to put them on for safety, plus would be a lot faster.

Its a bit of a pain to be honest as we are heading from Dublin so its a whole weekend, and if the weather is bad its a long round-trip. I've been down 4 times now and only once was it clear :(

If you're down to use the ice axes and crampons, would head out anyway, clear or not. And you can figure out if there's snow by contacting Cronin's Yard and they would give you pretty regular updates, they need only look out their window. The one thing I would keep an eye out for much more than visibility is wind, if it's cloudy you miss the scenery but it's still fun, if it's windy it can just be a no go at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

If you're down to use the ice axes and crampons, would head out anyway, clear or not. And you can figure out if there's snow by contacting Cronin's Yard and they would give you pretty regular updates, they need only look out their window. The one thing I would keep an eye out for much more than visibility is wind, if it's cloudy you miss the scenery but it's still fun, if it's windy it can just be a no go at all.

I never thought to call Cronin's yard, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Any update on conditions on the mountain?

• Advertisement

comet wrote: »
    Any update on conditions on the mountain?

It seemed to melt off the Eastern Reeks during the week but it tends to linger in the gullies that bit longer, plus forecast tonight is cold...

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Carrauntoohil/forecasts/1038

Again, would ring Cronins Yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I'm heading down in march with a couple of lads to do the horseshoe. They've done it before but I've never been on any kind of ridge walk before. Can anybody tell me how exposed it gets up there?

I'm not too good with heights but I want to push myself a bit.

I'm heading down in march with a couple of lads to do the horseshoe. They've done it before but I've never been on any kind of ridge walk before. Can anybody tell me how exposed it gets up there?

Coomloughra?

Google image Beenkeragh Ridge. I mean, if you stick to the path as opposed to the proper ridge, and conditions are good - no snow or high wind - it's perfectly safe. But it is very high and while I would think it as not exposed at all, not sure I can prescribe how you should feel about it. It is more exposed than the Caher Ridge where there is only a drop off one side. Have seen people get nervous on it, so wouldn't be glib enough to say "oh tis grand, fire away".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

The linked page has a number of climbs and walks. Outdoors Ireland is run by Nathan Kingerlee and he posts here, so drop him a line.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=205212

He has brought me up Howling Ridge and I did a winter climbing course with him, would highly recommend him.

• Advertisement

Coomloughra?

Google image Beenkeragh Ridge. I mean, if you stick to the path as opposed to the proper ridge, and conditions are good - no snow or high wind - it's perfectly safe. But it is very high and while I would think it as not exposed at all, not sure I can prescribe how you should feel about it. It is more exposed than the Caher Ridge where there is only a drop off one side. Have seen people get nervous on it, so wouldn't be glib enough to say "oh tis grand, fire away".

Thanks for the info. I've looked at plenty of pics of the ridge, sometimes it looks like it's fine, other times a nightmare;)

I suppose I won't know till I'm on it, also at least there is a path lower down if things get hairy;)

Thanks for the info. I've looked at plenty of pics of the ridge, sometimes it looks like it's fine, other times a nightmare;)

I suppose I won't know till I'm on it, also at least there is a path lower down if things get hairy;)

It is impossible to advise the apprehensive climber as to whether things will be okay for him or her. And it's no good people saying "it's grand" or "don't worry" when someone gets a little weak at the knees. Everyone has a different threshold, and there's a lot to be said for a fear of heights, far more accidents are caused by and to the risk takers.

The only thing I would say is warn your group that you don't know how you will feel till you are up there. I'm desperately impatient anyway, but it really annoys me when someone who said all along they would be fine suddenly announces that they can't go on, and someone else needs to take them down. I hope you do it and enjoy it.

It is impossible to advise the apprehensive climber as to whether things will be okay for him or her. And it's no good people saying "it's grand" or "don't worry" when someone gets a little weak at the knees. Everyone has a different threshold, and there's a lot to be said for a fear of heights, far more accidents are caused by and to the risk takers.

The only thing I would say is warn your group that you don't know how you will feel till you are up there. I'm desperately impatient anyway, but it really annoys me when someone who said all along they would be fine suddenly announces that they can't go on, and someone else needs to take them down. I hope you do it and enjoy it.

Cheers again, seems like sound advice. I've done a fair bit of walking at this stage, most of wicklow, Ben Nevis, about half the tour du Mont Blanc, but none of it has been too difficult underfoot or required hands etc, I'm hoping I can do this as it kind of represents the next stage for me.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

hi
    im really interested in joining a team to carrantuohill
    ive done the mourne mountains and croagh patrick a couple of times
    im based in dublin and would like suggestions on when to go and places to stay b&b wise
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It depends how much of the horseshoe they plan on doing. I'm not sure what level "good with heights" you are, but Benkeeragh should be possible and I would avoid the Big Gun if they plan on doing this.

You have options to do most of the route with them.

hmmm wrote: »
    It depends how much of the horseshoe they plan on doing. I'm not sure what level "good with heights" you are, but Benkeeragh should be possible and I would avoid the Big Gun if they plan on doing this.

You have options to do most of the route with them.

Howdy, thanks for the reply, i think the intention is to go up skregmore to beenkeragh, across the ridge to carauntoohil and down via caher. The other guys in the group have done this route before.

What would make me apprehensive is being unable to ascertain how narrow the ridge gets on the way across, although one of the guys showed me a video of their last outing there and it seems like the ridge is wide enough to keep a reasonable distance from the sheer drops into the horseshoe. Would i be correct in thinking this?

Im not too sure what the big gun is?

- Just googled the big gun, definitely a step too far at this stage:)-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

theenergy wrote: »
    hi
    im really interested in joining a team to carrantuohill
    ive done the mourne mountains and croagh patrick a couple of times
    im based in dublin and would like suggestions on when to go and places to stay b&b wise
    thanks in advance

You are unlikely to have a problem with accommodation in Killarney. The place is full of B&Bs and hotels.

I'm not sure if you are asking about guided walks up Corrán Tuathail. There are several companies that operate in the area, which operate guided walks and other activities. I'm not 100% certain, but they might even organise accommodation for you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What would make me apprehensive is being unable to ascertain how narrow the ridge gets on the way across
    One thing you could suggest is they do the route in reverse - i.e. Caher first. At least that way you could do most of the circuit, have a look and decide - turning around and coming back via Caher if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Anyone have a link to a GPS track of a decent route for running to the summit and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think runners would usually go up the hydro-track and summit Carrantuohill via Caher

Carauntoohil_route.gif

Can you do it in less than 90 minutes up and down? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just as an FYI, that was the old IMRA race route. They don't use it any more due to issues with land access. The new runner's route starts on the Kerry Way opposite the Cooky Monster's cafe in the Bridia Valley and goes up the Curraghmore ridge before joining Caher.

The hydro road route is probably a bit more practical if you're on your own though as there's hardly any car parking in the Bridia Valley.

Stark wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, that was the old IMRA race route. They don't use it any more due to issues with land access. The new runner's route starts on the Kerry Way opposite the Cooky Monster's cafe in the Bridia Valley and goes up the Curraghmore ridge before joining Caher.

The hydro road route is probably a bit more practical if you're on your own though as there's hardly any car parking in the Bridia Valley.

Does anyone have a gpx of the IMRA route?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Does anyone have a gpx of the IMRA route?

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/carrantuohill-18643243

that route ?

No, there are two different IMRA Carrauntoohill routes, that may be the second one.

The race I was looking for is the Carrauntoohill Classic.

This is the route here Strava - Carrauntoohill Classic.

No, there are two different IMRA Carrauntoohill routes, that may be the second one.

The race I was looking for is the Carrauntoohill Classic.

This is the route here Strava - Carrauntoohill Classic.

https://mountainviews.ie/track/report/1517/

I think that's the same as the Strava track.

I think that's the same as the Strava track.

its up via the zig zags and back

Advertisement