Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak Routes

• 03-09-2018 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

Been looking around for any Kayak routes out there but can't find anything.
    I have a sit on top and I've no clue if I find a river if it's safe to go on or know if a specific river has rapids with drops etc... I even searched Strava!

Anyone have any resources?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Wrote the below last week.

""There is a reason why these type of questions get no answer on any forums.
    It is dangerous for a beginner to just head out on the river.
    You should never canoe/kayak alone. 3 is the minimum.
    Experienced kayakers are hesitant to help due to the above.

Those of us out and about see a lot of crazy things and often are not thanked for pulling people out of the river when they get in over their head. Personally been abused more than once for rescuing a swimmer as i let their boat float away.

Find your local club and head down to them.
    Or post your location and we can direct you to your local active club.""

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Totally understand and makes total sense! I'm in Wicklow and I think there is a club nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Alas, I'm in the West of Ireland so our locations are a bit far for you. I've a sit on top and I wouldn't do rivers unless they've an obviously slow current or are well used. I find lakes are good, I always go with a paddle partner (I set up a page on face book page with my mates, and anyone I knew with a kayak in my local area to post when I wanted to go out, I always get a response).

So if you're in the West. The Corrib is a great river, full of life, it's wide and after heavy rain has a strong current. Keep to the right of the river (starboard). As for the lake. I've not paddled on the west side of it, only the North east (go it at Lislaughrey for Cong).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Kayaking alone as a beginner in bad weather and an unstable kayak, yes, the rule of three might apply. But kayaking in good weather in a sheltered estuary with an inflatable kayak is very safe.

Imo it's all relative. Know your limits. I use an IK and can't roll it even when I try, I go out on an estuary and I'm fine. Naturally I use a life jacket and have a float plan in place, because they're sensible precautions. But the rule of three is just a guideline and can be very limiting when you just want a paddle.

Advertisement