Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 HoopStudios

Just wanted to bump this thread and say thanks for all the amazing info in it. I got my 1st choice course from following the advice here. Cheers :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So guys, I applying as a mature student and I have been asked for my leaving cert number, I have no idea where to get this.
    Also I have attended college before 6 years ago, where will I get the information for this, it says I need to send it in 7 days at latest after submitting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

astonaidan wrote: »
    So guys, I applying as a mature student and I have been asked for my leaving cert number, I have no idea where to get this.
    Also I have attended college before 6 years ago, where will I get the information for this, it says I need to send it in 7 days at latest after submitting

if you have your leaving cert it will be on the result sheet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

if you have your leaving cert it will be on the result sheet

And if you don't have it, your secondary school should be able to give you your LC number.

What was the previous college course you did, aidan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am wondering if you guys would know. In 2004-2006 I did a level 5 in childcare. In 2008 I went to ITT to do a course, but dropped out very early (well before Halloween break). Would I be right in thinking I could avail of 2nd Chance where fees/grant are concerned? I am particularly interested re doing a level 5, then progressing to a level 6 and then on to a level 7/8 in an IT.

I need to work out how the fees thing works when you pay upfront when offered a place in a Further Education centre and then getting it back when grant/fees are confirmed. If anyone has any info on that too I'd appreciate.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Dair76 wrote: »
    And if you don't have it, your secondary school should be able to give you your LC number.

The course I did was Arch Tech in Castlebar,
    I think my problem is, when selecting choices at the start I shouldnt have picked anything besides Mature Student. My question now is should I leave all the other sections blank and just do the mature students parts

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

And if your school does not have it, you can order it online a statement of results from the State Examinations site

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭RebeccaChick

Hi all, I hope someone here can help me with my question regarding the CAO application! I have paid for the early application date which is next Wednesday the 20th... I have all my online application completed and ready to submit and my documents have been sent by registered post today so they should be with the CAO on Monday or Tuesday.

My question is how do I complete and submit my online application? Is it a case of waiting for Wednesday to come and the closing time to pass for it then to be retrieved or do I have to press some submit/send button which I cannot seem to find?

I would greatly appreciate any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hi all, I hope someone here can help me with my question regarding the CAO application! I have paid for the early application date which is next Wednesday the 20th... I have all my online application completed and ready to submit and my documents have been sent by registered post today so they should be with the CAO on Monday or Tuesday.

My question is how do I complete and submit my online application? Is it a case of waiting for Wednesday to come and the closing time to pass for it then to be retrieved or do I have to press some submit/send button which I cannot seem to find?

I would greatly appreciate any help!

iirc when you finish it and save it with all details in it that is it submitted

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭RebeccaChick

iirc when you finish it and save it with all details in it that is it submitted

Excellent, thank you raze_them_all_ for the reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Elai147

Hi all, I am hoping I could get some advice here. If I got an option to study Engineering at Level 7 and Level 8 in IT Tallaght, which would you advise me to do as a mature student? Apart from Level 8 being Honours and Level 7, an Ordinary degree, is there actually any difference between these two in terms of workload? I heard that Level 8 is a bit faster than Level 7. Does this mean it is more difficult than a Level 7 degree? I am curious as I would be going to college as a mature student, so I'm a little bit nervous. Here is a little info about my educational background... I completed a 2-year diploma programme in Computer Engineering (foreign qualification- more like a Level 6 in the NFQ) in 2001, and since then I have been out of third level education.

My goal is to get an Honours degree, but would you advise me to go through the Level 7 route (doing a Level 7 plus 1 or 2 add-on year(s) to get the Level 8) or should I go for the Level 8? Should I be worried about the level of difficulty, if any, as a mature student who left higher education since 2001?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sir Arsalot

Hello all, hoping for some enlightenment - some of the info on here has made me a little confused about how many course choices you get as a mature student.
    Do you really only get to put down three level 8 choices?

( I've had a look at the sample form - even filled in a bunch of info just so I could get to the course choices section - but am none the wiser because the demo form wouldn't change the leaving cert year from 2017, so I fear it may be possible that on the real application, if you tick mature student, you get less choices - as in, only three ?! )

I've been trying to pick 3 , but would like to be able to put more than that.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

Last year you could put down 10 choices same as a leaving cert person.. so I'd imagine it should be the same this year... unless something has changed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sir Arsalot

That would be brilliant , 10 choices ( so disgusted at America - I almost said "awesome" - then I decided I use that word too much - sounds a bit Americanized lol ).
    Its posts #18, #19, #20 in this thread that is making me think there are only 3 choices as a mature student ( all the other info given here is very helpful ).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sean/Telnor viewpost.gif
    Hi Larianne, Thanks so much for the advice. really helps.

I was wondering how the application process works. When I enter my 3 mature choices on my CAO App, does that mean I will get an Interview for all 3? or is it live the leaving cert where ill just get my 1st choice interview and not the others.

Maybe some1 will knoww this too :
    Im also doing a FETAC course that allows for direct entry by FETAC to Nursing colleges. Can I apply using both or do i have to pick FETAC or just Mature entry or can i pick both.

Thanks a mill for the answers smile.pngbiggrin.pngsmile.png

Hiya,
    Yes, You could be called for interview for all 3 choices. (The Unis don't have which order you have them in.) If the college deems you a strong candidate they will call you for an interview. So just make sure you have your 1st choice 1st, no matter how little chance you think you may have. Put it down!

With your second question, I'm not so sure. I looked up www.ncc.ie and it has FETAC and Mature Student Entry as separate things. You should contact the relative unis for advice on that. But applying as a Mature Student with FETAC level 5 is no harm at all!! smile.png But contact the colleges so you have an idea of what to do when sorting out your CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anewbegining

Just wanted to confirm that codes are the same for traditional entry as well as mature entry to nursing thus year. (As in no seperate codes)

Applied for mature nursing to dcu

I've been told it's all down to how well you do in the exam in april.
    Anyone with any experience.
    Have all my hopes pinned on getting a place sept 2017

• Site Banned Posts: 32 Streppy

Hi, I'm currently filling out the CAO form online (Christ, it's tough going). It asks for a stamped copy of exam results. I have my original JC and LC results but the problem is the school I went to closed about 5 years ago so I've no idea how I'll get them stamped. Also, I have a FETAC qualification from 2010 but again I have no idea where to get this stamped.

Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Streppy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently filling out the CAO form online (Christ, it's tough going). It asks for a stamped copy of exam results. I have my original JC and LC results but the problem is the school I went to closed about 5 years ago so I've no idea how I'll get them stamped. Also, I have a FETAC qualification from 2010 but again I have no idea where to get this stamped.

Any idea?

If ya think that's tough going god hep you in college lol!!!

Can someone help me please? I'm filling out my CAO but I cannot find course codes for 2017/18, all I'm seeing is 2016/17 on college websites and Qualifax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Does the CAO website itself not have them?

Does the CAO website itself not have them?
    Yes, but I'm looking to do Accounting as a part-time (evening) student, but there's only one code for Carlow IT which I presume is for the full-time day course. Or am I wrong and it's all under this code?

First time doing this so I'm a little clueless. :o

• Advertisement

Can someone help me please? I'm filling out my CAO but I cannot find course codes for 2017/18, all I'm seeing is 2016/17 on college websites and Qualifax.

If your applying for college next year you will be entering year one in 2017 wont you?

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    If your applying for college next year you will be entering year one in 2017 wont you?
    Yes, September 2017.

Yes, September 2017.

Doubt the codes are available for 2018 then as 2017 only applies...

Yes, but I'm looking to do Accounting as a part-time (evening) student, but there's only one code for Carlow IT which I presume is for the full-time day course. Or am I wrong and it's all under this code?

First time doing this so I'm a little clueless. :o

Accounting by night in IT Carlow is CW-BRLAC-B

Found out you don't apply through the CAO for part time courses, Carlow not taking applications for this until June. Waste of €25 on the CAO. Might send it off anyway just to see would I get accepted for the full time course.

Found out you don't apply through the CAO for part time courses, Carlow not taking applications for this until June. Waste of €25 on the CAO. Might send it off anyway just to see would I get accepted for the full time course.

No harm sur, proves to them that your interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulamalves

Hi i am applying to nursing as mature student this year 2017.
    Does anyone knows a teacher that can help me with the aopitute exam???

• Registered Users Posts: 22 celestialteapot

HI guys

How strict do people think the CAO will be about sending supporting documents within 7 seven days?

I assume they say seven just to put the frighteners on people if they get the documents in and around seven days that will be fine..??

Also, slightly confused about when those seven start... If you're allowed to change your application as much as you want until the 31st January then surely this has to be start date? I got a "thank you for your application " email though when I first applied and Im worried this may not be the case. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Hi,
    http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook2017/hb.pdf
    According to the CAO handbook page12( in the pdf format it is the p16),
    "SENDING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS TO CAO
    When you apply online, instructions about the submission of any additional documentation (if required) will
    appear on screen.
    Such documents must arrive in CAO within ten days of the submission of the online
    application."

• Advertisement
Advertisement