Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire Regulations on Attic Conversion

• 11-12-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

I just completed an attic conversion on a terraced house, going from 2 story to 3 story.

Apart from the actual attic room itself, what else is required in order to be compliant with fire regulations and to receive a certificate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I have read that several times and I may just be a bit slow/thick, but don't totally follow what they're saying. Like what exactly does this part mean:

"The floor to the new storey will be required to provide the fire resistancerequirements for a new three-storey dwelling house."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ianmc38 wrote: »
    I have read that several times and I may just be a bit slow/thick, but don't totally follow what they're saying. Like what exactly does this part mean:

"The floor to the new storey will be required to provide the fire resistancerequirements for a new three-storey dwelling house."

What has your Engineer or Architect said about that part?
    There is also Technical Guidance Document Part B Volume 2 - Dwelling Houses.
    There's a specific section on loft Conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Have you received planning permission for the new structure? Have you retained an Architect or Engineer?

Yes there was planning and I had an architect, but apparently the laws have changed since the tender was done by the builders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

The Building Regs have been updated in the interim but you will still need an Architect or Engineer to certify compliance as non-compliance will present you with difficulty with insurance or if you ever re-sell

Yes there was planning and I had an architect, but apparently the laws have changed since the tender was done by the builders.

What laws?
    When did you get planning permission?

You must have a dormer if planning was applied for?

Also, the architect you used, should be the one giving the certificate. Did you retain him for design, inspection and certification?

The architect mentioned the fire regulations had changed since August 2018. Didn't ask him to expand further on that statement, so I was trusting he wasn't feeding me a yarn.

Planning permission was granted in 2018, but building didn't start til Oct 2019. It does indeed have a dormer.

Architect has been retained for those things yeah and he has said that the stairwell and ceilings need to be upgraded to 30 min fire proof standard (ceilings are done, stairwell has not). He's also said all the doors that connect to the hallway (basically every door in the house) need to be upgraded to fire doors and have self closing mechanisms.

So I wanted to see whether those regs did change and also, if all those upgrades are necessary to be certified/compliant. Thx.

The architect mentioned the fire regulations had changed since August 2018. Didn't ask him to expand further on that statement, so I was trusting he wasn't feeding me a yarn.

The Fire Regs (Technical Guidance Document Part B - Fire Safety Volume 2 - Dwelling Houses) changed in 2017. not sure what changes occurred in August 2018 :confused:

Planning permission was granted in 2018, but building didn't start til Oct 2019. It does indeed have a dormer.

That's fine, so it puts you under the 2017 Fire Regs (Technical Guidance Document Part B - Fire Safety Volume 2 - Dwelling Houses).
    The dormer needs a window providing alternative means of Escape or Rescue.

Architect has been retained for those things yeah and he has said that the stairwell and ceilings need to be upgraded to 30 min fire proof standard (ceilings are done, stairwell has not). He's also said all the doors that connect to the hallway (basically every door in the house) need to be upgraded to fire doors and have self closing mechanisms.

Architect is correct, so i'm assuming he wont issue a Cert until these works are done.
    So I wanted to see whether those regs did change and also, if all those upgrades are necessary to be certified/compliant. Thx.

I'm not sure of the August 2018 Regs mentioned, but those requirements have been in the Regs for many generations gone by, so yes they are required.

Advertisement