Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asked for Facebook login in interview

Options
  • 22-03-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Source
    SEATTLE (AP) -- When Justin Bassett interviewed for a new job, he expected the usual questions about experience and references. So he was astonished when the interviewer asked for something else: his Facebook username and password.

Bassett, a New York City statistician, had just finished answering a few character questions when the interviewer turned to her computer to search for his Facebook page. But she couldn't see his private profile. She turned back and asked him to hand over his login information.

Bassett refused and withdrew his application, saying he didn't want to work for a company that would seek such personal information. But as the job market steadily improves, other job candidates are confronting the same question from prospective employers, and some of them cannot afford to say no.
    In their efforts to vet applicants, some companies and government agencies are going beyond merely glancing at a person's social networking profiles and instead asking to log in as the user to have a look around.

"It's akin to requiring someone's house keys," said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor and former federal prosecutor who calls it "an egregious privacy violation."

I think its fair enough to research someone before hiring them, but asking for there facebook login is a bit much IMO.
    Its basically like going through your phone or asking about your personal life, I don't see how its fully relevant to the employer.

What do you think after hours?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I would refuse.
    Invasion of personal privacy.

If a company/business has a problem with me, I would expect them to show me evidence - not expect them to automatically wish me to lay my entire personal life and thoughts before them on their presumption that I might be guilty of something, have something to hide etc - and that I then have to prove I am innocent.

Stuff them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Source

I think its fair enough to research someone before hiring them, but asking for there facebook login is a bit much IMO.
    Its basically like going through your phone or asking about your personal life, I don't see how its fully relevant to the employer.

What do you think after hours?

If that was tried in Ireland it would be a nice wee claim from someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

"Yeah, no bother! Just give me your Credit Card details and we have a deal!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd tell them no and more than likely then complain about it on boards

Why didn't he tell her he didn't have a Facebook account :confused:

Why the need to lie?

If he asked him to show his penis, would he say he didn't have one? Or just say no because it's not appropriate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Why the need to lie?

If he asked him to show his penis, would he say he didn't have one? Or just say no because it's not appropriate?

Heh, 'penis'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

surely if you've got nothing to hide you wouldnt have an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I always wondered to employers check people's Facebook status...I mean, it's not like HRists contribute to a company in any meaningful way anyway so they probably do.

The amount of people I see on Facebook complaining about their job is unreal..especially during business hours. I'm on a week off before anyone points out I'm posting on Boards during business hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

I would refuse not on invasion of privacy but on the fact that entering your password into another computer means it could be copied.

How would you feel if an IT guy downstairs was watching your character entry and logged into your email and bank account.

subway wrote: »

...And a person is innocent until proven guilty.
    Its up to an employer/possible employer to show evidence though their own efforts firstly - if we stick to that basic principle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Ridiculous request in my opinion.

Response: politely and calmly say no, I'm not going to do that. Expalin that if they have any queries about my professional or, indeed personal life than by all means ask away.

That should be enough - smart, reasonable employers should respect a strong, sensible, polite refusal.

Although if you're younger, inexperienced or desperate I could see how you'd be inclined to hand over your login - even in the 99% of cases when your facebook profile is as dull as dishwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Biggins wrote: »
    I would refuse.
    Invasion of personal privacy.

"Oh that's no problem Mr. Biggins. I completely understand your refusal. Ok . . . well thanks for coming. We'll er . . . we'll call you."

"Hi there Subway. I think that you have been stealing and putting said items up your arse! Take off your clothes, bend over and spread your arse-cheeks apart.......

........ well if you've nothing to hide then what's the issue?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Just change your name on Facebook when you're applying for jobs. That way, they can't find you if they search!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Claim The Frame

I think it's mental that he was asked for his login details that is taking things way too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why the need to lie?

Lie? So you think everyone has a Facebook account?

It is natural and correct to assume that most men have a penis. But only a select bunch of cocks will have a Facebook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Interviewer: Can I please have your Facebook username and password?
    Interviewee: No.

Interviewer: And why not?
    Interviewee: I'm very security conscientious and don't feel comfortable giving my log in details to anyone.

Interviewer: Well, can you please login for me then?
    Interviewee: No.

Interviewer: And why not?
    Interviewee: As my friends have set their accounts to private as well I wouldn't feel comfortable giving access to their pages to someone who they are not familiar with.

Interviewer: You know what?
    Interviewee: What?

Interviewer: You seem like exactly the type of guy we need here at Generic Business Ltd. Would you like a pay increase?
    Interviewee: I haven't even accepted the job yet.

Interviewer: Hmm, how about a blowjob then?
    Interviewee: Okay.

"Hi there Subway. I think that you have been stealing and putting said items up your arse! Take off your clothes, bend over and spread your arse-cheeks apart.......

........ well if you've nothing to hide then what's the issue?"
    your name has me worried, i think you put them there :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Don't join Facebook, live in the real world & have real friends.
    There's a lesson here for everyone & I hope we've all learned it.

or

When you set up an account use your nickname, initials, dogs name . . . it's not just HR people that snoop.

"Oh that's no problem Mr. Biggins. I completely understand your refusal. Ok . . . well thanks for coming. We'll er . . . we'll call you."

...And I wouldn't personally lose sleep over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why the need to lie?

If he asked him to show his penis, would he say he didn't have one?
    Well if his facebook is anything like my facebook he could have just took out his penis and showed the interviewer what it looks like from various angles and states of arousal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

No problem, sir, my password is tortious_interference.

Lie? So you think everyone has a Facebook account?

It is natural and correct to assume that most men have a penis. But only a select bunch of cocks will have a Facebook account.

The question was "Why didn't HE just say he didn't have a Facebook account?"

The article said he DID have one and it was private.

I never said anything of the like about everyone having a Facebook account. Try reading what's going on there buddy yeah?

Oh and a "I'm too cool for Facebook" comment. You must be invited to all the best parties!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Would you hand over your phone to a company if they asked? Or your email log-in details? Your Boards details?

Since he had his profile set to private, it would be a reasonable assumption that he views his profile as private and only shares it with friends. Why should he hand that info over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Here you go

Username : private
    Password : private

Whats Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Will Bebo suffice?

Millicent wrote: »
    Would you hand over your phone to a company if they asked? Or your email log-in details? Your Boards details?

Since he had his profile set to private, it would be a reasonable assumption that he views his profile as private and only shares it with friends. Why should he hand that info over?
    because he has nothing to hide...

I dont know how long i can keep this up, i thought someone who actually believes this would have taken over by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

just to be clear:
    tortious interference
    The classic example of this tort occurs when one party induces another party to breach a contract with a third party, in circumstances where the first party has no privilege to act as it does and acts with knowledge of the existence of the contract. Such conduct is termed tortious inducement of breach of contract.

Sharing your Facebook account breaches the ToS of Facebook.
    They are hoping most people arent lawyers or good at knowing things and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I have a work account. They can go nuts on that. Im quite the conference attender

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

"My password? Sure no problem. It's Ilovebuttsex! with a capital I"

Advertisement