Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Kildare need more of the game. Really need to take a lead into the last 15 mins. Goal would go a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Get some bloody scores Kildare!

Easy score for Cork.

Quality of ball going into the Kildare forwards is woeful. Down to 14 men now too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Game over now. Cork have been very impressive given they haven't had a really competitive game in well over a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

To be expected. Kildare are a good side but have been victims of the media who have hyped them up to be All Ireland contenders when they never were. Cork on the other hand are the best team in the country, who probably only Kerry on their day will stop

Good Lord this is a massacre. 9 points to no score in the first 25 minutes of the second half. Not nice to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

To be fair Kildare are playing the best team in the land today...which is no disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Kildare need someone like Gilroy, calm all the media rubbish.

Kildare have not beaten anyone of any quality.
    Maybe this is the wake up call needed.

To be fair Kildare are playing the best team in the land today...which is no disgrace.
    It certainly isn't an excuse for not scoring in the first 25 minutes of the second half. Kildare had every chance going in at the break but completely capitulated after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fair play to cork, Kildare not at races again this game!!

A bad championship from us hopefully next year we can improve consistancy!!

In ten minutes cork destroyed us in first half great team that will be hard beaten

So the media circus appears to be over.. Now can the media now piss off and leave Kildare football be?

Best of luck to all left in championship!!!!

And thank you to all Kildare panel again you gave it your all what a great group of players we have!!!

Should I say who I think will win Sam so??

Ehm IF Donegal beat Kerry I would have to fancy them.

I don't know what to make of the game. Cork will be happy with the win but disappointed that there was no real challenge. I feel for the Kildare players. I'm not sure what they can take from the performance today.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Kildare need someone like Gilroy, calm all the media rubbish.

Kildare have not beaten anyone of any quality.
    Maybe this is the wake up call needed.

Wake up call for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Another successful long summer dark knight?

Wake up call that they aint even close to winning an All Ireland.
    That they need a change of management.
    Also need to bring in a couple of new/young lads.
    Need to stay away from the papers, and try downplay things instead of hyping themselves without any evidence to do so.

Wake up call for what?

I can only guess this was aimed at the small minority of fair weather fans in every county that big up their team the further we get into the summer. I think most true Kildare supporters are well aware of the capabilities and limitations of the current squad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any team would have found it difficult against that Cork team so Kildare can just keep the progression going.
    Unlucky with the OG also.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

full_irish wrote: »
    RTÉ preview of the game

I'll sum up the most important part - Verdict: Kildare

that was the first mistake! I'd like to personally thank the RTE guy who posted it.

I only saw the second half, but I was disappointed with Kildare's second half. Cork could have had 2 or 3 goal in the second half but went for points. Was reading the text commetary on RTE for the first half and it sounded like Kildare completely were challenging well. And the TV3 fellas were saying Cork needed a big five mins, i was genuinely nervous.

Sorry DK about losing that 25 euro!

No not aimed at supporters at all. Its aimed at the squad, county board and management.

They are never out of the media, and it is just articles, there interviews.
    The whole Seanie incident and I would guess that isnt the only player invited to play. Shane Supple gave an interview and said he was asked did he want to play for Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Cork were able to split Kildare wide open, they simply had too much space at the front. Kildare just couldn't keep up. They needed a quick couple of points to settle themselves down but it didn't happen for them. Kildare will need to be regroup and work on their fitness for next year

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    Another successful long summer dark knight?

Although we were hammered today and championship has been a poor campaign we still ended up Boeing out at the last 8. How can that be that bad tbh?

Cork are a fabulous team, only one way this game was gonna go especially the run Kildare have had. Some terrible performances in championship this year..

But can't take anything from cork to sum them up in one word

BRILLIANT

Don't know where Kildare go from here I have a feeling we need to concentrate less on fitness and more on basics and drills etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

mabye its the wrong time to post after the disappointment of today but i think this section of players have gone as far as they can under this management team(or any management team available) I know its easy to say now but i would like to see a lot of the younger players such as hurley, moolick, dowling, fogarty,daniel flynn and hopefully kevin feely get game time next year, even if we exit in round 1 or 2 i wouldnt see it as a huge loss, on a personal note i would like to thank the kildare management and team for giving what i have no doubt was 110% for the past five years , whatever happens next i will always remember the mcgeeney era as a very good time for kildare football!

See ye all in Newbridge for the O Byrne Cup against AIT!:D
    Ahhhhh the Kildare optimism starts again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

The circle has closed and although competitive until today we've won nothing. Time for changes because this team have fought valiantly but ultimately have not delivered a trophy. I like McGeeney for the most part, some weird tactical decisions from time to time particularly today taking Foley off. From that point on it was a hammering rather than a beating. But in fairness to McGeeney he's accepted he's made mistakes and I'm sure he's learned an awful lot over the last five years. If he's interested I'd like to see him stay on and try rebuild the squad.

If the players were good enough they'd have delivered in 2010 or 2011.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That was a powerful performance by Cork. Kildare couldn't stand in our way, but not a lot of teams could today, such was our performance. Cork played to their strengths and when they turned it on, there was only going to be one winner.

I do think a change of manager is imminent for Kildare as the performances ye have been putting in seem to be going backwards. He has gotten ye so far but a change is necessary for any further development I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Its the first time in years Kildare players dropped their heads which is disappointing, maybe if we had got a couple of points early in the second half it might have been a different story but Cork pushed on well in the end. McQuillan had another poor game but he can't be blamed for our sloppy defending.

I'm sure McGeeney will have at least another year but there will need to be a bit of a rethink and things will need to be freshened up. We lacked intensity and drive this year and it is hard for players to maintain the incredible levels of dedication over the years especially considering the bad decisions that have cost us success in previous years. The main thing next year is to regain the hunger.

Our underage system is very good at the moment and we are producing a lot of talented players but hopefully we don't lose any more like Feely and Paul Cribben to pro sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

.... especially considering the bad decisions that have cost us success in previous years.

Our underage system is very good at the moment and we are producing a lot of talented players but hopefully we don't lose any more like Feely and Paul Cribben to pro sports.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone rolled out this old chestnut.

In relation to " underage system is very good" I'm not so sure. I've yet to see the evidence.
    Kildare never won a minor championship. 1 Leinster championship (1991).

Compare to say Dublin for example 3 out of the last 4 minor Leinster championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Bizzum wrote: »
    I was wondering how long it would take before someone rolled out this old chestnut.

In relation to " underage system is very good" I'm not so sure. I've yet to see the evidence.
    Kildare never won a minor championship. 1 Leinster championship (1991).

Compare to say Dublin for example 3 out of the last 4 minor Leinster championships.

I was only bringing up the bad decisions against Donegal and Down as a reason why Kildare players might be demoralised after training all year round and then having to put up with officials incompetence contributing to their exits. This year they can't blame anyone.

On our underage we have not had any silveware in the last 4 years mainly due to Dublins dominance at that level but we have been very competitive with them for the most part. When we did beat them after a replay a couple of years ago the Leinster council scheduled the final 4 days later against Longord and they were beat.

Our development squads in the last couple of years have an incredible record and are beating almost everyone they meet so the future is bright as long as the funding can be maintained.

We have been hindered at u21 level due to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Today we were outplayed. The two goals really set us back, if we didnt let them in it would have been more competitive. Had a great fightback before half time and needed a couple of scores early in the second half to get back into it, once Cork got a few scores the game was over. They were the better team and Kildare just looked bolloxed, burnt out and nowhere near capable of the intensity we showed in the last couple of seasons

Looking back on the year, we didnt show any hunger all season. We were never a top four side (sick of hearing that). Looking at Donegal v Kerry today its clear that Donegal had a system, stuck to it and it paid off. Kildare never seemed to have any structure or system this year. Daryl Flynn and Hugh Lynch (first choice midfielders) were injured so we had a bit of a patch up job in midfield. It was all over the place (Emmett Bolton was playing midfield against Meath for the first time ever). Rob Kelly was always a half forward but was in midfield. Mick Foley is an all-star full back but he had to be brought out to midfield. John Doyle would be better suited as a corner forward; he can win ball, turn and score points, but his role the last couple of seasons meant tracking back, covering players and tackling, and his age/fitness is letting him down.

McGeeneys decisions left a lot to be desired all year. Today, Foley (an experienced all-star) was taken off for Fionn Dowling (barely played this year and little championship experience) while Eoin Doyle was left on the field even though he didnt have any experience, wasnt having a good game and was on a yellow (he got sent off later). Hard to see the logic in that decision. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for McGeeney and you have to give him credit for the progress Kildare have made under him, I hope he stays another year. We do seem to have regressed in the past year or two though

Springers Final Thought: I don't think this Kildare team is done. We have decent players - Daryl Flynn and Hugh Lynch still have to come into midfield which would be a huge boost. Eamonn O'Callaghan is a huge player who has been injured this year aswell; he will add a lot to the team. Along with Doyle, Smith, Kavanagh, Johnston, O'Connor you have a decent forward line. In the backs Kelly, Lyons and Foley are a solid full back line and McGrillen and Bolton would be fantastic in the half backs . Despite our ****e showing this year, I think its realistic for us to become contenders for a leinster (or even all-ireland) -we need to bring back a bit of hunger, structure and a solid system and we could be a completely different team. **** it, theres always next year! Up the lillies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Or just trolling...:rolleyes:

Not going to give us your thoughts on Kildares exit from the championship?No?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

black belt wrote: »
    Not going to give us your thoughts on Kildare's exit from the championship?No?

Are you joking :rolleyes: He/her is only good at sniping and sneering at other better teams and supporters,I suppose he/she will pop into the Mayo/Dublin match thread to give his/her invaluable insight..not. Now that he/she hasn't got the balls or brawn to post about Kildare's massive defeat by Cork.

Advertisement