Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

End of the tether helping friend

Options
  • 09-12-2019 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My best friend (who I run a business with) is in a domestic abuse situation, mostly verbal but has been occasionally physical in the past.

He is in his 40s, they married in their late teens, and are 25 years married. There are 2 children involved.

My friends problems came to light in the past 3 years, when he started binge drinking on a regular basis. We always enjoyed a few pints together, we've been friends for years, but he took it to a new level suddenly which I thought was odd in a man of 40.

I know his children well and less so his wife, who would go to her bedroom and remain there when my family visited with his. This happened a few times per year. Christmas. Birthdays.

I knew they had a turbulent relationship but thought he enjoyed it that way.

The drinking became an issue with work. I confronted him and gradually everything came out. I saw his life through new eyes. And past interactions in his household began to haunt me. I felt utterly stupid for not seeing it, like I had let him down.

Things escalated in the past 3 years. She's had a separate bedroom for 10 years, they are strangers in the same house who occasionally get along.

Her abuse is emotional mostly. She laughed to his friends behind his back at a birthday party last year at how easily manipulated he is and how she can make him do anything by just snapping her fingers, as he is afraid of her, she laughed at how she had recently made him rip down walls and restructure their entire house because she spontaneously wanted it done, and knew he would do it.

She constantly quips to the kids that daddy is stupid, lazy, fat, an alcoholic, boring, she tells them he has no friends.

The silent treatment lasts for months at a time, to my relief as I think he is safer mentally then. It always comes after she has done something utterly horrible, such as thrown items in the kitchen at him out of nowhere, and he is left feeling thankful when she finally talks to him again. He forgets or chooses to overlook the original incident, which is frustrating for me after spending hours talking him through it and reassuring him that he's not crazy and what she's doing is wrong.

The same pattern occurs over and over. When their relationship is at its best, she will give him sex in return for demanding he do some huge job around the house the next day. She had a separate bedroom, there is no affection except for sex a handful of times per year, and he is thankful for this. He takes this as forgiveness, as her wanting to love and be close to him again.

I sometimes take the kids to play with mine, always inviting both parents, and the 10 year old tells me "I wish daddy was allowed to come too but mom said she will kill him and he will never be allowed to go out again so he has to stay home" and other similar stories. It breaks my heart that 2 beautiful children are growing up with this, and seeing their wonderful kind father as some kind of weak buffoon.

My friend is the kindest, most capable, intelligent, fun, helpful person there is. He has helped me constantly in the past when I went through bad times and i hate to see this happening but I'm at the point of no longer being able to support.

He has told me again last week that the only thing he wants is a friend in his marriage. I remind him that I am his friend, but he is looking for a spouse friend. He says he is willing to accept a sexless marriage and one without affection, but he would love to be able to talk to someone outside of work. His life now is silence at home, or being shouted at. His kids mostly hide in their rooms. Their mother has physically beaten them on several occasions using a belt, and they were rescued by their father, who took the abuse, but they still see her as some kind of queen.

His wife has no friends. Not a single one. She only speaks to her mother and sister who live far away. She works and is smiley and friendly to all she meets and assumed to be kind and beautiful, she is very good looking and has sailed through life based on her looks.

Meanwhile her husband has gained a lot of weight in recent years and most definitely will drink himself to death if given the chance.

Earlier this year, he almost left her. He slept in his car for a week, I begged him to take a spare room in my house but i think that made it too real. In the end, she got one of the children to tell him to come home as a pipe was leaking and they couldn't use the shower. She gave him the silent treatment for a number of months, then slept with him once and everything was perfect. He talked about her like she was the most amazing woman on earth. Every conversation involved her in some way, things she saw or did, like a teenager with a crush.

Last week, after 2 weeks of silence, it looked like finally he would walk out. He was making plans. I listened, I supported, i never pushed. He was looking at rental houses, she had set him up to look like a fool in front of his friends 2 weeks earlier. Unfortunately our circle of friends laughed at him, thinking his wife is hilarious. He went silent this time. She made effort for a few days to be his friend and then she went silent on the day he decided to make effort again. This made him even more upset. By last Wednesday, he could see it all clearly. She was an evil manipulative bitch. She didn't care about anyone other than herself. He was irrelevant in her life. He would leave and never see her again. They were.supposed to attend an event on Friday night for her friend. He was looking forward to her going alone and seeing how life would be at 3.55pm.

Then, she out of the blue sent him a voice message saying she needed help, her car was broken down. (His beloved car which he spent years restoring, and she then took it from him and he has since had to cycle while the car sits outside their house waiting for her to use it)

And in that split second that he hears the voice message, everything changed. He had to rush out of work to help her.
    I gently tried to remind him of what he was saying 5 minutes earlier but i was the bad guy, and told to back off.

This morning, I am again the bad guy.

He has spent the weekend doing very big work for her in the house and clothes shopping with her, and she is back to sainthood. She had one job she was meant to do for our company, which has been dropped back to my lap this morning. When I kindly questioned why she wasn't doing it, my friend told me to stop constantly being down on her and mind my own business - His reaction was absurd and the question was perfectly valid.

I know he will apologise later for his reaction, it's not the first time. But I'm left feeling drained and disheartened.

I know this relationship will kill him. I can see clearly he has spent the whole weekend drinking whiskey. He has worked out that if he wants to get along with her, he needs to drink his way through their time spent together. When they're not talking, he's sober. He has high blood pressure and isn't taking his medication. He has always had depression but for the past 3 years, he's been dangerously low on a.regular basis. I know in my heart he is walking a line, and this will be the death of him. He deserves to be treated like a king, but his self esteem is so low he only wants to not be abused for a few hours every now and then.

Sadly he doesn't have a hope of surviving on his own either, I believe. He's too far gone. He his utterly without hope.

I should point out his family (parents and siblings) became distant from him over 20 years ago. There was no falling out. They ring him occasionally and he rings them regularly but they visited once in the past 15 years. He visits his parents once a year, they live far away. It's likely they were aware of the abuse long before anyone else.

He has no friends left, due to never being able to meet up or talk. The original circle of friends are still there, but there's no closeness or deep chat, just football and beer, and he no longer gets to attend our meetups.

I am his one and only true friend or confidant. He has never spoken to anyone else about any of it. He barely speaks to anyone about anything anymore.

And that's why I feel like I need to be there still in some capacity, but I'm finding it harder. It's beginning to drain on me. I felt so disheartened on Friday night, and worried about his mental health given his instant switch from anger to happy he was needed.

At this moment, I feel I need to step away and keep our connection as work only, but i know my friend needs a friend more than anything in the world. How am I supposed to stand by and watch this unravel without being able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Please don't give up on him Step back by all means, do what you need for yourself. This will eventually blow up in some way. Learn to detach but show you're there, maybe one day he will listen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

That is a horrible situation for your dear friend to be mired in and also for you caring about him so much but being unsure as to how to help him.

I agree with the others - you need to detach somewhat and not get too involved in what is probably a very complex and poisonous domestic situation. His wife sounds like a nasty, self-seeking manipulative person who enjoys control and seeing others suffer. I have little doubt that some sort of breaking point is coming, sooner or later.

Many men suffer domestic abuse from a spouse in silence out of shame and ingrained guilt and the abuser knows this and uses it to their advantage. There is an Irish support group for male victims of domestic abuse canned AnyMan that have a helpline. Domestic abuse against men is much more common and widespread than you might imagine.

Perhaps you could direct your friend to their services.

https://www.anyman.ie

You can do nothing for him, but you are obliged to report her to Tusla - those children are being abused - make the call today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Accepting Cookies

Jesus... I think you have an obligation to report her, for the children's sake. And maybe down the road if they were to separate, a report of abuse against her will help him either get custody of the children or get fair time with them. As long as their children are minors, she is going to manipulate those children and use them as weapons. Guaranteed that is the next stage. Your friend needs professional help and support, I don't believe this is something he can get through without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't give up on him.

Keep a log of everything you see happening, everything he's told you.

Sit him down and ask what kind of life he want's for his kids. Dose he what them to grow up and end up thinking toxic relationships are the norm, and to fall into one. She beats them for f-sake! They are depending on him to put a stop to this.

He needs to read or listen to two books, no more mr nice guy and the subtle art of not giving a f1ck.

He needs to stop drinking and make time for himself go walking lose weight get fit eat better work out, so that he sees he is not worthless. Tell him his kids think the world of him but can see what is happening at home.

He needs to at the very least see a councilor, can he do it on work time behind her back?

He should see a solicitor explain what is happening get his ducks in a row, I wouldn't leave, she's beaten the kids get a barring order against her and kick her out of the house, inform social services. She has a job she'll be fine she can stand on her own two feet.

He's lonely he misses his old wife not this monster she's become. If she's out of the way he life will be so much better he's be able to do stuff with the kids, reconnect with friends see his family.

Less stress more quality time. He's only in his 40's he can easily find a new life partner somebody who will make him happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

You can't save someone who won't save themselves.

Should you decide to step away, you will not be deserting a friend. You have obviously put a lot of effort into helping this poor guy, but you can only do so much. At this stage all this is to you is heart ache and pain.

It boils down to protecting your own sanity at this stage.

He may at some stage eventually stand up to this bully, but then again he may just drink himself to an early grave.

Maybe take one last stab at helping him before stepping away, advise him to talk to a GP, counsellor, Samaritan's or the likes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

You need to look out for yourself, and your own health.

I feel very sorry for him, and even worse for his children. Arm yourself with knowledge of the various organisations mentioned. Give him links and phone numbers.

There is far too much going on for any one person (you) to be able to provide support and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Can the mother not be reported for physically assaulting the children with a belt?

Children (and indeed the husband) being prisoners in their own home subjected to physical and emotional abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

In the past did he help you? You said in the first line that he is your best friend so what does that mean to you? If you can't do any more and it is effecting you emotionally then sit him down and tell him how you feel and what advice you can give.

Being a best friend is not only for the good times and try and think what they would do if the roles were reversed. He needs someone to support him and not dessert him.

OP, if you don't report her, you are allowing those children to be abused.

• Advertisement

I think you're doing too much already op. Well Done. Be kind to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Badcop9 wrote: »

I gently tried to remind him of what he was saying 5 minutes earlier but i was the bad guy, and told to back off.

This morning, I am again the bad guy.

He has spent the weekend doing very big work for her in the house and clothes shopping with her, and she is back to sainthood. She had one job she was meant to do for our company, which has been dropped back to my lap this morning. When I kindly questioned why she wasn't doing it, my friend told me to stop constantly being down on her and mind my own business - His reaction was absurd and the question was perfectly valid.

I know he will apologise later for his reaction, it's not the first time. But I'm left feeling drained and disheartened.

His turning on you like that, in defence of his abuser, would be the final straw for me. You've been a good friend, but as been said, you can't help someone who won't help themselves and if you end up feeling drained and disheartened, then its time to take a step back and disengage. You don't have to be his emotional punching bag.

This guy needs more help then you can give him. There doesn't have to be a confrontation about it, just the next time he starts offloading his problems on you, tell him he really needs to speak to a professional, have some information ready for him (Anyman, for example) and walk away or change the topic of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ChrissieH

Hi OP,

I think that this is a situation you're never going to get any good out of.
    Your friend is in denial about his life, and while it's blatantly obvious to you what's going on, your friend doesn't have the advantage of seeing things from a healthy distance / perspective. He's blinkered because he's 100% involved in the situation from every point of view; emotionally, legally, financially. It's obviously very difficult for him to accept that he's married to someone so callous and abusive, so I suppose he's always hoping that "this time it's different" when she sleeps with him, or begins talking to him again after months of silence, or whatever.

At the same time, it's draining you to the extent that you've come here looking for advice. it's left you feeling desperate - just imagine how he feels! I don't think he'd be able to cope with any extra stress (when you innocently asked why his wife didn't do what she said she'd do for the business, he snapped at you; proof (in my eyes) that he's barely holding things together and cannot handle anything else right now) so I do think it's really important to him that he has you in his life, but that leaves us wondering how you can protect yourself from the emotional distress he causes by discussing every situation with you...
    Do you think you could re-frame all of this for yourself, so that you stop being so personally involved and emotionally invested in his problems? Believe me, I am an extremely loyal friend and partner, so I don't say this lightly; I spent years getting furious about how my husband's daughter's mother treats my husband, we'd talk about it and come up with plans but he'd never action them! My husband prefers a quiet life and seems to be able to forget about outrageous treatment from family members and his child's mother, whereas I would be protective of him and want to confront people about their bad behaviour.. after years, I eventually realised that I was the one sitting, stewing about things long after he'd gotten over them!
    I know you're in a different situation because what you've described about your friend's life is very serious, but as a starting point, I would suggest that you need to take a step back emotionally; still support your friend, but maybe don't get as invested when he tells you the latest bad behaviour by his wife - realistically, you know he's not going to leave her anytime soon, if at all, so there is literally no point in being taken along on the rollercoaster with your friend - you can still listen to him and be sympathetic, but at the end of the day, if he's going to continue to go back to her, he's not actually looking for anything from you except a listening ear when he wants to share his problems.

I understand that you're concerned about his health, but there really is nothing you can do about it, no more than if he was drinking heavily or over-eating, or using drugs for any other reason. That's his coping mechanism and there's no way you can stop it from happening if he's determined to stay in the situation he's in.
    If you feel up to it, I think it might be worth telling him (or writing it down, so that it's really concise) that you'll always support him but his situation upsets you, and while you've been happy to be a listening ear for him up til now, you feel strongly that he's in an abusive relationship and would like to see him take some steps to change his situation, in which case you'll be the first person to help him. But otherwise, you're not going to sit around for hours having emotionally charged conversations and investing tonnes of energy into him because it's upsetting to you. You have your own life to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Could you anonymously tip off the chidren's school about the abuse? A letter the principal explaining that you wish to remain anonymous but that your child overheard "their classmate" (i.e. your friend's kid) talking about being hit with a belt and having to hide from her mother when she's angry with Daddy or some such?

That way when Tusla intervene, the report of her abusive behaviour will have come from the school rather than you and your friend will be less likely to cut himself off from the one true friend he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rondog

OP- those kids are being abused straight out.

You and that pathetic excuse of a father are faciliitating it too.

Both of you are knowingly allowing that weapon to get away with emotional and physical abuse of 2 children and the husband.

My blood is boiling knowing what that b1tch is getting away with.As she sniggers and snides and gets away with her evil behaviour the 2 of you are standing by and allowing her to do it.

Report her immediately to tusla or you are no better than her.

rondog wrote: »

Both of you are knowingly allowing that weapon to get away with emotional and physical abuse of 2 children and the husband.

My blood is boiling knowing what that b1tch is getting away with.As she sniggers and snides and gets away with her evil behaviour the 2 of you are standing by and allowing her to do it.

^^^^
    Exactly

Get on the phone OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

rondog wrote: »

that is extremely harsh and undeserved and cruel to read given all the OP has written. As for reporting something as low grade and speculative like that to Tulsa when you have not witnessed it - have you ever tried? They will either ask if you have seen it and when the answer is No will say there is nothing they can (will) do, or say there is no case worker currently available/allocated to that family and unless you have personally seen the belt hitting first hand there is nothing they will/can do.

OP it sounds like you are really empathatic to
    your friend and feel badly for him and your friend is clearly in a poor relationship. But he has been accepting this for a long time and it sounds like he loves his wife or is willing to trade off living in his home with his kids on a full time basis versus paying all his salary to support her and them and having to pay the mortgage and rent a bedsit or place for himself - hardly an easy choice and one that leaves him at the risk of the courts decision regarding his financial status for the next 10 or 20 years and without necessarily proper access to his children and home. Many men find themselves in loveless marriages or seperate rooms with occasional killer sex and trade this off for their home, children and the trappings of quality of life and hope of future live/reconciliation. He is in a bad emotional place but is still willing to put up with it all despite how bad it makes him feel or the pain it causes him. I did a conference for work a year or so ago and as part of it we had to evaluate or emotional needs and choose our top two - eg the need to be powerful, financially secure, respected, loved, nurtured - and the surprise one for me was how many people chose love and needed/relied on rather than successful or wealthy. Maybe this ranks in your friends priorities highly and his wife knows it - hence showing she is dependent or lives him by asking him to do manly things around the house that makes him feel needed and the nurturer or wanted by her and strong and manly. As I said, I was shocked -I thought everyone wanted only money and power!!

You may feel that you want to take the apin and problem away but you cant. Unless she changes or their relationship dynamic changes thre is little you can do. He could tey going to couples councelling with her but may be afraid it will be the first step to losing it all and a divorce, or he could try some self help books on relationships or assertiveness or negotiation in relationships which may hel him respond better when she speaks in public to him like that.

Either way at least you know he knows you have his corner and are a good friend to him. His move to spend a week in the car despite offers of rooms speaks volumes. He had options but chose that to make a statement to her - she relented/ the kids brought him back in - bit that was his cry to them for help - it was theirs he wanted - not yours no matter how more attractive and practical.

Ive had a few friends with abusive or unhealthy relationships and no matter what physical violence or financial exploitation you are always up against the same problem - they will not go until they have absolutely had enough. And despite all you wrote and everything that has passed between them he still does not want to leave for whatever complicated reasons. Just let him know that whatever he needs you will be there to help him out if he needs it. Im sure he knows and is grateful and will ask when he is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This may sound harsh but he is at fault too for allowing the situation to develop this way. Something wrong there psychologically I think. He should see someone about his own issues and that may give the clarity and confidence to do the right thing

Advertisement