Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are all Air Rifles restricted?

Options
  • 05-12-2019 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭

Following on from this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111945788

I have Decided to buy a new Air Arms Galahad.

What difference would it make to the licencing hurdles if it wasnt a Bullpup Rifle that I will be applying for.

I have removed the gunsafe but if ness I can reinstall. Is a gunsafe ness for all Air Rifles or just Bullpup type?

Thanks for expected advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Air rifles are licensed the same as .22 lr's or even hornet's , a gun safe is a requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

A gunsafe is mandatory for all firearms,Some stations will allow just the one gun with just a trigger lock but a safe is a better route for piece of mind if anything it will help the application if the fao wants to see your security.An air rifle here is treated with the very same process as if you were applying for a .223 or 17hmr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

All 'rifles' regardless of function or mechanism require a gun safe.

Air rifles per se, calibres .17 or .22 do not fall within the definition of a 'restricted firearm'. What pushes this one into the restricted category is its design - Bull pup:
    A bullpup is a firearm with its action and magazine behind the trigger. 

Galahad HP - Sporter Rifles | Air Arms
    The Galahad is a bull pup based rifle that contains the same power plant and magazine system as the S410/S510 range. Designed with a unique, forward mounted cocking lever placed at the centre of the action

FIREARMS (RESTRICTED FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION) ORDER 2008

1. This Order may be cited as the Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008.
    “bullpup rifles” means rifles with a magazine located behind the trigger;

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/si/21/made/en/print

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mech1 wrote: »
    What difference would it make to the licencing hurdles if it wasnt a Bullpup Rifle that I will be applying for.
    The only difference between any restricted firearm application, as opposed to an unrestricted one, is the application goes to the Chief Super and not the Super.

The security level will increase, and you must show why this type of firearm (restricted) is required/needed over an unrestricted firearm.

Some people boke at the thoughts of applying for a restricted firearm, but its really not a big issue, and no more hard than any firearm. Once your reasons are valid, you'll be good to go.
    I have removed the gunsafe but if ness I can reinstall. Is a gunsafe ness for all Air Rifles or just Bullpup type?
    The lads have covered it above. All rifles, regardless of their restricted/unrestricted status require a safe. Only a single, unrestricted shotgun MAY be stored without a safe once it's broken down with the separate pieces stored in various locations, and has a trigger lock.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement