Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching giving grinds

• 02-12-2019 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I am considering becoming a secondary school teacher (maths and a science-havn't decided which science yet) and was wondering how much I could improve the salary with grinds on the side. I have calculated if I gave 3 sets of 6 students maths grinds for one hour a week for 20 euro each (the average rate is 30 for a group I believe), I could earn an extra 360 euro per week for every week of the school year (33 weeks) which equates to an extra 12K a year. Is this a feasible plan or am I being naive?

I realise of course I'll have to pay tax on this of course and was wondering how the tax would be calculated/ would I have to set up a legal business etc.

Thanks a million for any advice/ information given :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sheehan123 wrote: »
    Hi, I am considering becoming a secondary school teacher (maths and a science-havn't decided which science yet) and was wondering how much I could improve the salary with grinds on the side. I have calculated if I gave 2 sets of 6 students maths grinds for one hour a week for 30 euro each (this seems to be the average going rate for a group), I could earn an extra 200 euro per week for every week of the school year (33 weeks) which equates to an extra 12K a year. Is this a feasible plan or am I being naive?

I realise of course I'll have to pay tax on this of course and was wondering how the tax would be calculated/ would I have to set up a legal business etc.

Are you thinking that a student is going to pay €30 to be in a group of six? You must be very good.

I'd concentrate on getting qualified and a job before looking into doing grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheehan123

Are you thinking that a student is going to pay €30 to be in a group of six? You must be very good.

I'd concentrate on getting qualified and a job before looking into doing grinds.

Hi, thanks for your reply :). I changed it to offer 20 euro grinds instead although I know many at the moment paying 30 euro to be in a class of 20. I would like to be prepared though to know what I'm getting myself into instead of just presuming I could add that onto my paycheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I might be very out of touch with the grinds scene, but I’d be surprised at anyone paying to be in a group setting for weekly grinds. I know people do it for holiday grinds, that are 3-4 hour intensive classes, but if someone wants a weekly grind, they would want an individual grind, or the topics they would want covered wouldn’t be prioritised.

Maths and Irish are the only subjects I can think of where grinds are easy to come by. Outside of those subjects, it would be sporadic.

As regards tax, if you aren’t enjoying other teachers, I don’t think it would be necessary to set up a company. I think it’s just a self evaluation form, but revenue would be able to talk you through what needs to be done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

No student is going to even pay €20 for grinds in a group. It's very expensive and no major advantage. I don't do grinds but I think that groups of five at €10 per person would be reasonable. Grinds are usually 1-1.

In order to do grinds, you have to have the ability to get a student a H1 - it can be a big ask and sometimes the student can't get there. If I were paying for grinds, I would want an experienced teacher with a proven track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I find this post suspicious. You have never actually taught maths? Correct? So you have no idea what a classroom is like or how difficult weak maths students are ?Most teachers would at least master the curriculum and then consider grinds.

After a day of teaching 200 plus students you won't necessarily have the energy for grinds. Alot of teachers stop grinds because they get worn out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Teachers who five grinds are usually very experienced in the classroom and may also have experience of correcting state exams. If you are entering teaching for the money, I really wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sheehan123 wrote: »
    Hi, I am considering becoming a secondary school teacher (maths and a science-havn't decided which science yet) and was wondering how much I could improve the salary with grinds on the side. I have calculated if I gave 3 sets of 6 students maths grinds for one hour a week for 20 euro each (the average rate is 30 for a group I believe), I could earn an extra 360 euro per week for every week of the school year (33 weeks) which equates to an extra 12K a year. Is this a feasible plan or am I being naive?

Individual maths grinds (outside Dublin) are about 35 euro.

How is the tax calculated?

You simply include the profits in your normal annual tax return.

Demand for grinds is typically not for 33 weeks solid.

I'm surprised that you are thinking about this before you've even trained to be a teacher.

If you do give grinds to six students, will you have a room/table/board big enough?

I doubt you'll get 6 * 20 = 120 per hour unless you have a very strong reputation.

As regards tax, if you aren’t enjoying other teachers, I don’t think it would be necessary to set up a company. I think it’s just a self evaluation form, but revenue would be able to talk you through what needs to be done there.

Yes, it's just the normal Form 12 tax return that workers complete.

Or maybe Form 11 if you are earning more non-PAYE income.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

How much are you currently paying for your grinds OP?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Geuze wrote: »
    I doubt you'll get 6 * 20 = 120 per hour unless you have a very strong reputation.

This is an important point. You'd need to build up a reputation before you've enough of a demand to organise a group grind. At the beginning it'll be a case of you organising one for 5pm on a Mnday, and you might have 2 or 3 for the first few years til you get a reputation. So that will be €40 - €60 an hour.

Don't underestimate how exhausting teaching is. I've people asking me for Irish grinds all the time. I can't find anyone. The money isn't worth it to my colleagues (and they're being offered €40 an hour which isn't bad).

Andas someone else said it's not 33 weeks. They start October or so. And will finish up early for xmas / summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭doc_17

I know of a location in the country where the students pay €15 per hour to be in a lecture hall with a class of 40. And the students has to sign up for the term which is 8 weeks. And they run that 3 times a year. You’d be surprised what people will pay.

In Dublin I believe it’s €50 per hour for a single grind on the South side. That’s what a maths teacher told me they are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I paid €15 per hour for Irish in a group of 8 - 10
    The person doing this is a very experienced teacher and also marks state examinations.

On the last session before the Leaving Cert he gave them a "heads-up" to revise 3 items and 2 of them came up on the paper !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭doc_17

You would appear to be paying for access to the paper there!

Advertisement