Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France

Options
  • 30-11-2019 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping to spend 4 weeks in France next summer. I haven't been on a French holiday (apart from Paris) in 30 years so I was looking for some suggestions as to where to go. Some info on what we are looking for below. We would love to split the time and try 2 or 3 destinations ideally.

Family of 6 - 4 children under 10.
    We would like to be near a town or village with a little life / atmosphere but nothing wild!
    We would rather not camp.
    A pretty little town would be a bonus.
    It would be nice to be near a beach but it's not very important.
    Somewhere with good food would be great too.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

The village of Houlgate in Normandy is gorgeous. It has a fabulous beach and has bags of character. And some nice restaurants.

I know you don't want to camp, but modern campsites are much better. The mobile homes are just like small houses with fridges, freezers, cookers, showers, loos etc. And campsites generally have good pools and good facilities.

Camping La Vallee is a nice site - we have stayed there a good few times and I am happy to recommend.

https://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/normandy/nr014-la-vallee/ataglance.html
    https://www.francethisway.com/places/houlgate.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you're not looking for hard-core tourism, the empty space in the middle of France's tourist maps is well worth a visit. Pretty little villages, (very) cheap B&Bs or self-catering, lots of big lakes (usually reservoirs) with beaches and aquatic activities, and if you know when and where to look, some really good value festivals (children go free). Look at the provinces of Berry (dépt 18 & 36), Limousin (23 & 19) and Auvergne (03, 63 & 15) If you like traditional music (and dance) there is an almost uninterrupted programme of events across these départements from the beginning of July to mid August, where you'll see a side of French culture rarely seen by any Irish tourists!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will you be driving/hiring a car/not bothered?

I've done all three, and last trip was to Carcassonne, no car this time, stayed in Limoux a few stops on the train from CCS. Lovely spot. It's wine country so you can go to the vineyards and taste and buy. Took train down the line to Quillan in the foothills of the Pyrenees, again nice spot. Then on different days went to Toulouse and Narbonne, and a trip on the Canal du Midi. Totally relaxing, no driving and plenty of vino.

Trains are TER (local) and are not expensive.

Just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Annecy in the French Alps. Absolutely stunning old town on the shore of a stunning lake (cleanest in Europe I believe) The Lake is a lovely temperature for swimming in the summer. It’s a very lively town, but with nice restaurants and wine bars rather than loud pubs or night clubs. There’s lovely day trip too, it’s about an hour from Chamonix where you are in the shadow of Mont Blanc or less than an hour from Geneva. We’ve been 3 times and are going back next year (started going when my oldest was 15 months and she’s always had a ball) Just google it and you’ll be sold and the pics don’t even do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I'd also highly recommend Lake Annecy, incredibly scenic area with lots to do, particularly if you like the outdoors. We've been every year for the last four years and will be hoping to return again in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Beautiful Annecy, or 'turn off here to avoid the tolls'

As a few others have mentioned, getting away from the crowds is a must.
    We stayed in Pralognan la Vanoise last summer in a lovely campsite (chalet) with an indoor pool.
    Closest thing to Yosemite I've seen in Europe. Absolutely stunning and down the end of a valley so no through traffic.

Advertisement