Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Championship 2019 26/11 - 8/12 BBC/Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Ha, I've just been told I'm only watching the Lisowski match because Desislava Bozhilova is refereeing :pac:

Talking about Ding like his career is almost over, he’s 32. 13 ranking events wins, 1 behind Trump, 3 behind Selby.

One ranking title in the last five years, though (when he previously won five ranking titles in one season), and now precariously close to dropping out of the top 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Talking about Ding like his career is almost over, he’s 32. 13 ranking events wins, 1 behind Trump, 3 behind Selby.

Needs to win the WC to be considered one of the best of course, plenty of time for that to happen.

True. 32 is nothing really when you see what guys in their 40s do these days. Though i have trouble seeing it at this stage. Just find it hard to work him out, whether he really has the bottle required to be world champ. But he does have a good decade anyway to prove me wrong on that.

True. 32 is nothing really when you see what guys in their 40s do these days. Though i have trouble seeing it at this stage. Just find it hard to work him out, whether he really has the bottle required to be world champ. But he does have a good decade anyway to prove me wrong on that.

That said, it's hard to think of many players who've won the world championship for the first time over the age of 30. Bingham did it at age 38, but that's very much the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Ha, I've just been told I'm only watching the Lisowski match because Desislava Bozhilova is refereeing :pac:

Is that match only on the Eurosport player?

• Advertisement

Dante7 wrote: »
    Is that match only on the Eurosport player?

That's where I'm watching it. Not sure if it's anywhere else.

That said, it's hard to think of many players who've won the world championship for the first time over the age of 30. Bingham did it at age 38, but that's very much the exception.

Not many off top of head, selby i think? Ebdon maybe, have to check though.

Back in the day it was common enough though. Terry Griffiths didnt actually turn pro till his mid 30s i think, was 28 when he made his first competitive century. In Gordon Burns great book, Griffiths said winning world title was worst thing that could have happened to him. Went back to his local club after and they virtually blanked him!

But different game back then it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Back in the day it was common enough though. Terry Griffiths didnt actually turn pro till his mid 30s i think, was 28 when he made his first competitive century. In Gordon Burns great book, Griffiths said winning world title was worst thing that could have happened to him. Went back to his local club after and they virtually blanked him!

But different game back then it has to be said.

What's that about?

Talking about the pressure on Ding from China, just reading about the 2016 WC when he reached the final....

"The total global audiences for the tournament exceeded 300 million, with 210 million viewers in China alone."

True — both of them were 31 when they won their first world title. Joe Johnson was 33. Dennis Taylor was 36.

I'm not counting players from the 70s because it was such a different game back then.

Notably too, most players who won their first title at 30+ (Johnson, Taylor, Ebdon, Bingham) were one-hit wonders.

What's that about?

Talking about the pressure on Ding from China, just reading about the 2016 WC when he reached the final....

"The total global audiences for the tournament exceeded 300 million, with 210 million viewers in China alone."

From what i remember they just figured he was a bit of a billy big head coming home with his trophy and didnt want to know. A while since i read the book but that was the gist of it. Griffiths then fell in with hearns matchroom mob and that was a big mistake, hated the grubby materialism of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Selby v O'Donnell is a slow burner. Could be a late one. Selby fairly lucky to be 3-2 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Selby v O'Donnell is a slow burner. Could be a late one. Selby fairly lucky to be 3-2 up.

O’Donnell wasted a good chance there. If Selby wins this 7th frame, I can’t see a comeback from O’Donnell

Yan beats a very erratic Jack Lisowski 6-3.

Another top 16 player exited tonight as Gary Wilson beat Joe Perry 6-1.

Another great chance here. Needs to close it out. Loads of what Hendry would call 'unforced errors' in this one.

Dont think lisowski has it in him, some crazy shots tonight. Just far too casual, you gotta respect the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Big frame for O’Donnell to win. It’s getting interesting now!

Interesting discussion on cue changes on bbc there. Higgins using a new cue last 5 weeks hoping he can get more power out of it. McManus says changing cue isnt much of a big deal anymore to which Ken replies "I've had the same cue for 40 years."

Enjoyed it. They need to do more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Was it McManus who played most of his career with a cue he bought for a fiver?

This Higgins v Bingham match is absolutely brutal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was it McManus who played most of his career with a cue he bought for a fiver?

This Higgins v Bingham match is absolutely brutal stuff.

Kens queue cost £2 and is warped.

Higgins is always changing his cue -- he seems to tinker far more than the other top players.

He's mostly been rubbish this tournament, though. The first four frames he played against Burns were some of the worst snooker I've seen on TV in a long time.

• Advertisement

Maflin 5-4 up over Allen here and 33-0 ahead in the tenth frame.

Chance for mark.

Changing cue was like undergoing major surgery for a snooker player. A major traumatic event in a player's career. Don't know when this idea changed all of a sudden. Higgins looks fairly shot, as he did this time last year. But then he still managed to crawl back to a second consecutive Crucible final.

McManus was suggesting that because they play so much now, he even had figures on how many shots they'd play in a year, that was why cue changing was a more common thing. But thats when ken came back with the line about having the same cue for 40 years. So not sure about that one.

I do know it's common enough for some players to swap regularly between a few different cues, maybe its down to improved manufacturing techniques but not sure on that.

Sloppy of Allen to miss that simple yellow and let Maflin back to the table to play for snookers. Still looking like a deciding frame though.

Maflin in first in the decider

Some excellent safety there, thought Allen had engineered great position for himself but that was terrific pot from maflin. Match winner potentially.

Allen in trouble here. Maflin among the balls with a 45 point lead.

Wasn't expecting that! Allen could steal this now.

• Advertisement

Maflin butchered that. Should be getting ready for post match victory press conference by now.

Advertisement