Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BWI Garden Bird Survey 19/20

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A good addition. The BTO weekly garden bird survey includes a section on sick birds too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

This article in the Irish Times from last weekend gives a good overview of the survey:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/the-big-bird-census-it-s-that-time-of-year-to-keep-an-eye-on-the-garden-1.4088365?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And I've added some new sections to the BirdWatch Ireland website that will hopefully answer a lot of people's questions about the survey and garden birds in general:

Irish Garden Bird Survey homepage (can download survey form at the bottom)

FAQ about taking part in the survey

FAQ about feeding garden birds

FAQ about sick birds/finches, and particularly trichomoniasis

There is a certificate error warning if you select to enter counts, with windows advising not to proceed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

There is a certificate error warning if you select to enter counts, with windows advising not to proceed.

Thats in the process of being sorted out - there's nothing actually wrong or unsafe, but the relevant security certificate just hasn't been updated. Should happen this week though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there any species in particular that are showing signs of sickness?

i know the greenfinch had a virus recently, is that still the case?

what are the physical signs?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    is there any species in particular that are showing signs of sickness?

i know the greenfinch had a virus recently, is that still the case?

what are the physical signs?

See link here for physical signs etc: https://birdwatchireland.ie/our-work/surveys-research/research-surveys/irish-garden-bird-survey/trichomoniasis-sick-finches/

I'd expect that Greenfinch will be the most common species recorded sick, with Chaffinch and Goldfinch too, but it's not something that has been looked into in Ireland at this scale before so don't want to prejudge it - will be interesting to see what the results throw up!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

Back windows washed :). Looking forward to this again.

I had a Blackcap in the garden for the first time this week. Hopefully he'll stick around for a while.
    Still a lot of berries on the tress so the feeders have been fairly quiet over the last few weeks. My resident horde of House Sparrows have been MIA also. I suspect one of the neighbors has a better feed on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

We've just had an outbreak of trichomoniasis in our garden and it was distressing to watch. Although we are pretty good with hygiene, it took hold quite quickly and we lost several finches. Greenfinches seemed most susceptible proportional to overall numbers, then chaffinch, with just one goldfinch and one siskin succumbing. Only finches seemed to be affected. Birds looked exactly like the picture in the linked article. The most noticeable symptom to me was that they didn't move away when approached until you were almost on them. All feeders and baths now down, sterilised again and put away for a month to let the disease pass through and have the finch population disperse further afield to feed. I'm also going to sterilise all the patios, decking etc with Milton fluid. From our experience, you definitely need to be on it quickly at the first sign. I'll know better if it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Over the years I've noticed House Sparrows and Collared Doves are also quite susceptible to trichomoniasis. Our current weather pattern wet and mild is also favourable conditions for the disease.

Re: Trichomoniasis, it seems that Greenfinches are the species whose population is definitely impacted by the infection, but it will be interesting to see what other species are recorded as sick during the survey whose numbers aren't impacted as much at population level.

I can't stress enough how important it is for people to take part in the survey this year so that we can gather this sort of info on species affected, time of the winter, whether it's more prevalent in urban/rural or different counties etc. It needs to be gathered in a structured way, so we need people taking part and letting us know if they did or didn't have sick birds so that we can compare and contrast appropriately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Silly question but this generated a bit of a debate with some friends...do flyovers count?

gzoladz wrote: »
    Silly question but this generated a bit of a debate with some friends...do flyovers count?

The term we use is "birds using your garden" - so a Sparrowhawk flyover might count but a Lapwing flyover wouldn't, for example.

14 species so far this week, garden was very busy today.

20 species here and a few regulars, like Goldfinch, missing.

house sparrows ruling the roost, so far

Male Blackcap back for the second year in a row eating the olives from the olive tree, a male Blackbird has also joined him eating olives.

haven't seen one greenfinch this winter :(

I had a Bullfinch visit the garden today, first time seeing one the garden for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

I had 3 blackcaps (2M, 1F) simultaneously visiting the feeders in my tiny garden over the weekend........had never seen them congregate like that before.

A male sparrowhawk flew right past my head and landed on a wall 2 metres away from me on the same day when I was doing a spot of gardening, he stared right at me and didn't seem in any way perturbed!

27 different species for me this year, standout visitors for me this time was a Bullfinch, male and female Blackcap and a Redpoll. Didn't see any Greenfinch this year. Also 1 sick Goldfinch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement