Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think female teachers who have sex with students are rapists?

Options
  • 22-11-2019 12:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a female perspective here. It seems that there is a chasm of opinion between male teachers having sex with students and female teachers having sex with students.

In the latter, most would not think of it as rape (especially men) who I always hear say "Where were these teachers when I was a kid". etc.. I'm wondering if women think that it's not as serious as the genders reversed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think either male or female teachers who have consensual sex with students (above certain age) are rapists. However they shouldn't be teachers. I really don't think there is anything confusing about that. I think age of consent in Ireland being very high in comparison to the rest of Europe (excluding beacons of enlightenment like Turkey and Cyprus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I'm looking for a female perspective here. It seems that there is a chasm of opinion between male teachers having sex with students and female teachers having sex with students.

In the latter, most would not think of it as rape (especially men) who I always hear say "Where were these teachers when I was a kid". etc.. I'm wondering if women think that it's not as serious as the genders reversed.

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Whether you think of it as rape or not, if the student is under 17 they cannot legally consent and the teacher in question (male or female) knows this. And even if they are 17 or 18, they have a teacher-student relationship and are in a position of power and authority over a student which they are abusing. There are plenty of other people in the world to have sex with that are not sitting in the classroom in front of them.

In a similar way doctors do not have sex with their patients as it is an abuse of their position even if the patient is a fully consenting adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes.

I just read a story about a teacher who had sex with a student in Australia ...the boy was suffering from panic attacks after he was not able to trust other teachers. She emotionally manipulated him to use him for sex and when you do this with a child its rape.. Then moved jobs. She barely got investigated.

He left school with zero qualifications. He has no trust in society. He was 15 when this happened.

People in positions of power where they can decide things about your future ..like a boss or a teacher etc have to be aware they can't have personal relationships some of the time.

Even with adults sometimes this is the case. But with people underage its doubly true.

There are lots of people to date etc ..if you can only focus on this ONE person ....then maybe you are focused on them for the wrong reasons.

Lets face it ...people do these things because they are not normal they are sick. Women can be sick too.

I don't think either male or female teachers who have consensual sex with students (above certain age) are rapists. However they shouldn't be teachers. I really don't think there is anything confusing about that. I think age of consent in Ireland being very high in comparison to the rest of Europe (excluding beacons of enlightenment like Turkey and Cyprus).

That is only for other people of the same age though.

For example the age of consent for german is 14 but ONLY with other 14 yr olds.

But in Germany it would STILL be illegal for someone over the age of 21 to have sex with a 14 yr old.
    The age of consent in Germany is 14, as long as a person over the age of 21 does not exploit a 14- to 15-year-old person's lack of capacity for sexual self-determination, in which case a conviction of an individual over the age of 21 requires a complaint from the younger individual; being over 21 and engaging in sexual relations with a minor of that age does not constitute an offense by itself. Otherwise the age of consent is 16, although provisions protecting minors against abuse apply until the age of 18 (under Section 182(1): it is illegal to engage in sexual activity with a person under 18 "by taking advantage of an exploitative situation"

In reality if the 14 yr old decided it was rape ...the 21 yr old would probably face charges and a prison sentence.
    A person over twenty-one years of age who abuses a person under sixteen years of age, in that he: 1. commits sexual acts on the person or allows them to be committed on himself by the person; or 2. induces the person to commit sexual acts on a third person or to allow them to be committed on the person by a third person, and thereby exploits the victim's lack of capacity for sexual self-determination, shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than three years or a fine.

The laws in europe are much misunderstood ...and used by people to imply our laws are draconian which they are not.

The age at which Germans can have unlimited sex with anyone of any age is 18.

The law is really to permit a 16 yr old to have sex with a 15 yr lets say without charges not to allow a 30 yr old to have sex with 14 yr olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes.
    The laws in europe are much misunderstood ...and used by people to imply our laws are draconian which they are not.

The age at which Germans can have unlimited sex with anyone of any age is 18.

The law is really to permit a 16 yr old to have sex with a 15 yr lets say without charges not to allow a 30 yr old to have sex with 14 yr olds.

Misunderstood by who? I understand them quite clearly and still think Irish laws are to draconian. Not because there are 30 year olds having sex with 16 year olds but because l know plenty of 17 or 16 year olds who had sex with lets say 21 year olds and were not manipulated or taken advantage of. Btw I actually think German law deals with the issue quite well, Irish doesn't. Anyway it would help if you're a bit less patronising, you might disagree with my opinion but do not assume we disagree because I'm ignorant and you are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

There are plenty of other people in the world to have sex with that are not sitting in the classroom in front of them.

So true!

What an absolute daft thing to go and do, with the knowledge if you're caught it's career over, but then again we're a complex species I guess that don't always make rational decisions.

Advertisement