Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steinhart Ocean One 39mm

Options
  • 14-11-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I have to admit I wasnt a fan of steinhard watches, I just seen them as a Rolex Submariner knock off.

My brother bought the Ocean one 39mm.

I was wrong! What a beautiful watch! Extremely well made, the case, bracelet and ceramic bezel so well put together and finished.

It made my Seiko Turtle which cost about the same price look like a piece of scrap.

Anyone here got one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

2shea wrote: »
    I have to admit I wasnt a fan of steinhard watches, I just seen them as a Rolex Submariner knock off.

My brother bought the Ocean one 39mm.

I was wrong! What a beautiful watch! Extremely well made, the case, bracelet and ceramic bezel so well put together and finished.

It made my Seiko Turtle which cost about the same price look like a piece of scrap.

Anyone here got one?

Grand for the money but at the same time seriously overrated IMO.

Edit: have had 3 or 4 including premium blue (a mess of a watch in hindsight), a black ocean 1, a green ocean 1, and one of the marine ones. All meh.

I do like the discontinued orange ocean 2 but they are hard got and a little on the big size.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

893bet wrote: »

Edit: have had 3 or 4 including premium blue (a mess of a watch in hindsight), a black ocean 1, a green ocean 1, and one of the marine ones. All meh.

I do like the discontinued orange ocean 2 but they are hard got and a little on the big size.

Well I under rated it until I seen it in the flesh. I'd have to say its one of the best €400 watches ilI have handled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

You've had 4 of them and class them as seriously overrated? Did you need 4 chances to confirm your opinion?

I love them, great bang for buck and very well put together. Considering what the likes of Longines/Tissot/Hamilton charge for similar type watches then they are a great buy IMO.

I've owned an ocean 1 black and still have an OVM.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    You've had 4 of them and class them as seriously overrated? Did you need 4 chances to confirm your opinion?

I love them, great bang for buck and very well put together. Considering what the likes of Longines/Tissot/Hamilton charge for similar type watches then they are a great buy IMO.

I've owned an ocean 1 black and still have an OVM.

They were all different types and colours. Everyone raves about them so I tried my best. None lasted more than a few weeks.

Not bad value at the price but ‘meh’ was my final reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I've an Ocean One Black 42mm ceramic and a Ocean One Premium in blue.

I was well impressed with them when I got them, but they're not getting any wrist time anymore. Maybe time to move them on :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

oxocube wrote: »
    I've an Ocean One Black 42mm ceramic and a Ocean One Premium in blue.

I was well impressed with them when I got them, but they're not getting any wrist time anymore. Maybe time to move them on :rolleyes:

Keep us posted if you decide to sell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I had one it was a good watch but like everyone else I flipped it. Guy buy them and sell them all the time, nobody every seems to keep them.

They are good quality (for the money), but they are big. If you have a big wrist they can be ok.

The big problem with them and the reason most people flip them is....they are a fake rolex "homage" piece, or whatever, not an original idea in the lineup. Dress it up all you want, talk design changes, horology, Elabore ETA movements, fliplock clasps and superliminova all you want....at the end of the day you buy them cause they look like something else. Some of them are pretty expensive too. on the plus side you lose only minor money on them as they are a popular second hand purchase.

Even a fella who thinks they are a champagne watch for lemonade money.....bought 3 of them and sang their praises for two months, swore they were there “most favourite” ever.......has flipped them.

Not that he is a measure of anything.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have the Ocean One 39 and love it. It's the perfect size for my smaller wrists and I think it offers great value. I've had it a year now, and I'll hold onto it for years to come I reckon.

I have the Ocean One 39 and love it. It's the perfect size for my smaller wrists and I think it offers great value. I've had it a year now, and I'll hold onto it for years to come I reckon.

Maybe the exception that proves the rule. :D

• Advertisement

I had an older Ocean One. It's was grand but I didn't like the way it sat on my wrist.

Steinhart are kind of cagey about their past. Years ago there was multiple brands (Roberts, Debafure, Grovana, Steinhart) making seemingly identical watches. Who owned who, who owned the designs, where the watches came from etc was all a bit murky and I recall splits/disputes between these various brands. At one point I made sense of it but it's slipped my memory since. More recently it's been said that Phoibos source their cases and bracelets from either a current or former Steinhart supplier.

I think there's Chinese companies offering better value than Steinhart but it would be very difficult to re-sell those watches because few would have a clue who they are. At least Steinhart are a known brand at this stage, so quite easy to sell without taking a huge loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I had one it was a good watch but like everyone else I flipped it. Guy buy them and sell them all the time, nobody every seems to keep them.

They are good quality (for the money), but they are big. If you have a big wrist they can be ok.

The big problem with them and the reason most people flip them is....they are a fake rolex "homage" piece, or whatever, not an original idea in the lineup. Dress it up all you want, talk design changes, horology, Elabore ETA movements, fliplock clasps and superliminova all you want....at the end of the day you buy them cause they look like something else. Some of them are pretty expensive too. on the plus side you lose only minor money on them as they are a popular second hand purchase.

Everything is a copy, even a rolex submariner.
    You and 99% of posters here would smear **** on your wrist if it came from Rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

I've had an OVM for a few years now. Great quality for the money but I'm not 100% sure about it. It currently fights for wrist time with my F-91W and SKX.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

shutup wrote: »
    You and 99% of posters here would smear **** on your wrist if it came from Rolex.
    I wouldn't. Short of a bout of madness :D in the 90's with vintage Rolex Bubblebacks and early Oysters and a respect for the brand overall, they don't really rev my engine much tbh. There'd be a fair number would generally share that opinion. And that's all it is in the end and all that matters; an opinion and personal choice and people differ and fair play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I wouldn't. Short of a bout of madness :D in the 90's with vintage Rolex Bubblebacks and early Oysters and a respect for the brand overall, they don't really rev my engine much tbh. There'd be a fair number would generally share that opinion. And that's all it is in the end and all that matters; an opinion and personal choice and people differ and fair play.

We are the 1%!

Below was my premium blue

https://www.adverts.ie/16078471

The mismatch in the dial blue vs bezel blue. The massive gap between the bracelet and end links. Poorly executed IMO.

I may try a 39mm ocean as a beater one of the days. Never liked the proportions on 42mm ocean 1.

Where can you buy this branded Rolex ****???. Make a change from the cow **** I am currently smeared in.

yep I drink the coolaid but I dont like the submariner, shows no imagination, think the seamaster is a better diver. I suppose I would rather real dog **** on my wrist than fake dog****, or vomit dyed brown to look like vintage dog **** from 10 meters away.

By and large, "watch guys" who buy these are buying them because they look like a Rolex and/or "are a lot of watch for the money" and/or "I needed a [beater/'dress diver (??)/insert justification for another watch here]"

They get off loaded when the guy upgrades to a real sub, or when they get a little bored and fancy a change. There's a decent second hand market for them so they are an easy catch and release and there's nothing especially special about them that you'd be overly reluctant to sell one out of a collection.

If you really wanted a sub all you get is a reminder that you don't have one. If you bought it because it was "so affordable for what you get" (LOL not if you're buying 8 watches a year at this money) you'll likely get bored with it sooner rather than later.

However people who I see with one of these as their one and only watch so, non-collectors, seem to keep them for ever. They're just a bit rare (such people) because you could easily never hear of steinhart if you aren't somewhat into watches. Anyway, they are a decent watch, viewed objectively, if you actually buy it as a watch (as opposed to as a substitute for a Rolex sub or because you suffer from an addiction to buying shiny things).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Always thought the Ocean One 39 was the nicest of the Steinharts. This colour combination above is real nice, too.
    I'm done buying watches for the time being, but if I hadn't got myself an SKX recently I'd be all over this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have an OVM ver 1, but Mrs. blue has it on permanent loan, I bought it used a couple of years back. Nobody mentioned the long lugs? I'd like one of their titanium 500s love the blue lume.

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-titanium-500-premium.html

Mine Ours:rolleyes:
    495709.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I really like that Steinhart B. Yes it's an "homage" to the Rolex MilSub and that's about my fave Rolex ever*, but since few of us are up to spending 100k on the real thing(even if we were they're a minefield of authenticity) that's fair.

*I dont like Mercedes hands and the bezel is nicer too. IMH of course. That Rolex have never issued a reissue of that model has long surprised me. I reckon it would sell like crazy and with a price premium. My only theory is that because those hands were on the Omega hold the patent/rights on the hand shape? After trials with both Omega and Rolex, the latter was considered the far more waterproof, but the Omega had the better hands, so Rolex got the hands and Omega got a screwdown crown.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Does anyone know where is best to see/try steinhart watches on in the Grafton Street area? I've narrowed it down to a choice of three Ocean 1s (pepsi, black and batman) but would like to try on the wrist before pulling the trigger. Had a very brief stop into weirs yesterday but only had a couple of mins and didn't spot them.

They are online only.
    Steinhart directly or gnomonwatches.com

Advertisement