Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you teach students that dont want to learn

• 12-11-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

A lot of repetition.

Small class tests based on what you did in previous class or two.

Keywords on board and get the students to explain them to each other out loud.

Get most of what would be homework done at school.

Dictate answers or notes and get them to write as you say them.

More repetition.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

A lot of repetition.

Small class tests based on what you did in previous class or two.

Keywords on board and get the students to explain them to each other out loud.

Get most of what would be homework done at school.

Dictate answers or notes and get them to write as you say them.

More repetition.

Exactly right... not the most dynamic teaching but it'll get results... repetition and getting as much written work done in class as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Giving them easily achievable and successful learning outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Plenty of good worksheets and pair them off to complete them.
    Whiteboard and discussion.
    Repeat and repeat again then refresh a few weeks later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure any of them don't want to learn, but for certain kids, if all they have ever experienced is failure, the sensible thing to do to protect themselves is either to not come in at all, or to not bother trying.

I used to spend ages on their self-esteem. I never entertained (in front of them) the possibility of any of them failing. The only ones who ever did were ones who left out a component of the exam.

It helped if we were doing something they had even a passing interest in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭amacca

No offence but what if they are persistently disruptive and simply don't seem to want to learn?.....seemingly regardless of the effort a teacher makes

won't co-operate, consistently disputive or terminally lazy....what if a lot of the strategies above can't be implemented because a certain cohort won't meet you half way?

Not putting words in OPs mouth but thats the kind of student I thought they might be asking about...apologies if thats not the case OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They (and a lack of any cohesive response by management to repeated violent and aggressive behaviour on the part of a small cohort) were the ones eventually drove me out of teaching.

They upset, threatened and intimidated the children who came in regularly. They even destroyed their work. They were well able academically speaking but chose not to bother, having more sport pointing out the 'baby books' those with literacy problems were using. All that ever happened them was they were 'told to say sorry'. In the snow blow days, I would sometimes genuinely fear for my safety when so many of them would have taken something and I would be stuck in a room on my own with them.

I quite enjoyed working with the children who struggled academically, but these buckos, whose individual rights it appeared trumped both my rights and the rights of the rest of the class, wore me down. Many of them have since become involved in a high profile feud and we can all see where that leads them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andrewshort89

I am an Instructional Designer for corporate training programs so the audience is different, however, getting engagement and knowledge retention to rise comes with some simple tricks.

It's important to punctuate classes with activities, split the class into groups and have them research different aspects of the subject and then present to the rest of the class and then you, and the rest of the class can critique. The fact that the students will be put on the spot and have to work together for a goal really engages them with the material.

Relate the material to relevant context, add as much drama to the subject as possible. Most curricula teach subject matter that solved a problem, talk about the problem, the solution and the result.

There's a couple of ideas but without details on the audience, or the subject matter, it's difficult to get too specific.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭amacca

I am an Instructional Designer for corporate training programs so the audience is different, however, getting engagement and knowledge retention to rise comes with some simple tricks.

It's important to punctuate classes with activities, split the class into groups and have them research different aspects of the subject and then present to the rest of the class and then you, and the rest of the class can critique. The fact that the students will be put on the spot and have to work together for a goal really engages them with the material.

Relate the material to relevant context, add as much drama to the subject as possible. Most curricula teach subject matter that solved a problem, talk about the problem, the solution and the result.

There's a couple of ideas but without details on the audience, or the subject matter, it's difficult to get too specific.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.

It is somewhat helpful and much of what you say is true but the key is in your opening where you say the audience is different

The audience in this case can be outright hostile and there are ever declining standards in terms of discipline and behaviour/almost complete lack of consequences in a system where everyone has a right to an education but the teacher is the only one with enforceable responsibilities.

All of these strategies (and many many more with varying degrees of effectiveness and frustrating ineffectiveness) are part of CPD and naturally evolve in all but the most unsuited to the job but they almost don't matter if the right cohort of students such as the ones I believe are being described by the OP get to take over the classroom....thats the elephant in the room the powers that be don't want to discuss and I noticed near the end of my time seem positively squeamish about when they are questioned closely about what they could do to make the classroom a place where the teacher and the larger cohort of students that are willing to make reasonable efforts can do their respective jobs....the classroom management is the sole responsibility of the teacher in the absence of real consequences for those that deliberately and continuously cause problems and refuse to follow simple rules that are for the good of the whole (even themselves) really wears thin after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

crazy to think of how different some teachers experiences can be in the same occupation. some posts are so different they should not be classed the same in pay at all! Personally i actually dont think I would stay in a job described above but I am not totally dependent on a full time teaching post. I admire so much what teachers in that position do. The school I am in now on 14 hours ,I would happily stay in for life on any type of hours along with subbing. I was doing 5th year history today and gave the students an exam question for homework. I noticed a girl straight away writing , I presumed she was getting started on it and wanted to make sure she did an essay plan. she said oh no this is an exam question I was doing for revision myself. I mean God , i should have known better! The only slight negative might be that you have to be 100% committed to getting the most for your students who are nearly all high achievers. Takes plenty of prep but at the same time its what all us teachers try to do anyway. Its all very much appreciated by the students, its an amazing feeling to be be thanked and appreciated for your effort by students at the end of a class.

Back to the point, i think if you can try to build up a relationship though empathy with some head trouble makers it really helps. I was in a pretty tough school but hadnt a huge amount of hardship just by trying to build relationships about intrests etc. It takes all the tension out of situations. Praise any type of decent behaviour. I know how hard it is in those schools, which makes me so much appreciate where I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

I noticed this one day when a teacher gave a very disruptive student a high five in the corridor (cringe), I asked him what the story was and he said you just have to "pretend you like them". So I took that approach and it had some success.

Go out of your way to find out anything they're vaguely interested in and drop it into a lesson. Big salute in the corridor, outside the classroom, inside the classroom, big fake cheesy grin and pretend their your favourite godchild.

It's only a way in and doesnt always work.

Another thing is to feed them and incorporate the food into the lesson. Crisps worked well.

Definitely don't let them into the room until you arrive (if the school has teacher based rooms). Then try and engage the boldy in the corridor as you walk in.

I never really cracked it 100% and if a disruptive student twigs you're trying, then they can really go to town on your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

As some previous posters have indicated- keep empathy. Crack a few jokes. Don't take yourself too seriously. A bit of work. A joke or two . Push it along. Notes to take down are good for weak groups.
    Keep in mind for many weak students they won't study your subjects at college. Just try to make it as enjoyable as such

Advertisement