Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What did people vote for in 2016's EU membership referendum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is this the first time you've heard this argument?

No, and you're arguing it in the same way. Just a simple statement without depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It does. I had the feeling in the 90s when working in Germany where the squaddies were based.

I always found there nationalism overbearing and there resentment of Mainland Europeans was amazing.

The Military families I would think has a massive vote leave preference.

Even among the "ex-pats" living in Spain, there is massive Euro scepticism. They tend not to integrate or mix with locals and stay within mini English communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No, and you're arguing it in the same way. Just a simple statement without depth.

Basic points behind Euro scepticism include:

Affection for the Empire, not Europe
    Europe doesn't speak English
    Britain is proud of it's legal history, the EU undermined this
    Britain proud of it's long parliamentary tradition, 'Mother of Parliaments', EU diluted this
    Europe represented a place where relatives fought and died, it doesnt evoke good memories for many

Edit: A general superiority complex

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thankfully the UK is not Ireland or the Netherlands or France who are told to vote again when the right answer is not given and meekly oblige.

Quite right - it's the country where Dear Leader forbids another people's vote after using smoke and mirrors to get the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They voted to leave the EU

Thats with or without a deal.
    The official guide said negociating a deal may be difficult or may not happen, leavers promised a deal quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The official guide said negociating a deal may be difficult or may not happen, leavers promised a deal quickly.

That's like saying that people who vote Tory this time are voting for the NHS to be dismantled and sold off to private American Healthcare companies because the opposition has told them it would happen while the Tories say they had lots of other plans to raise money and won't need to sell off the NHS.

volchitsa wrote: »
    That's like saying that people who vote Tory this time are voting for the NHS to be dismantled and sold off to private American Healthcare companies because the opposition has told them it would happen while the Tories say they had lots of other plans to raise money and won't need to sell off the NHS.

Why be so paranoid about the NHS , nobody outside of conspiracy theorists has indicated anything is happening to it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And the official leave campaign said that we wouldn't be leaving the single market while also saying that we'd be able to negotiate trade deals easily because Britain holds all the cards as well as promising an extra 350 million pounds a week for the NHS, money which never existed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

And the official leave campaign said that we wouldn't be leaving the single market while also saying that we'd be able to negotiate trade deals easily because Britain holds all the cards as well as promising an extra 350 million pounds a week for the NHS, money which never existed.

Very true, there were quite a lot of lies on both sides, it was an awful idea , but they voted for it and now i just want it to be done, deal or no deal so they can go swivel on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Very true, there were quite a lot of lies on both sides, it was an awful idea , but they voted for it and now i just want it to be done, deal or no deal so they can go swivel on it.

Both sides being factions within the Conservative party.

If you want it to be done, we need to have a second referendum and remain. Otherwise, Johnson's deal will just entail a united Ireland replete with a bloated public sector and welfare state and a new rejoin movement in the UK should the transition period of his deal ever fail to be extended.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Both sides being factions within the Conservative party.

If you want it to be done, we need to have a second referendum and remain. Otherwise, Johnson's deal will just entail a united Ireland replete with a bloated public sector and welfare state and a new rejoin movement in the UK should the transition period of his deal ever fail to be extended.

Now thats scaremongering.
    I also think a second referendum would yield the same result , i think anyone trying to deal block or repeal is hampering this and they should get on with a deal.

I also think a second referendum would yield the same result , i think anyone trying to deal block or repeal is hampering this and they should get on with a deal.

How? What do you think organisations like People's Vote, Another Europe is possible, etc are going to do? Just disappear?

I'm a Unionist from Ulster and I'd prefer being in a 32-country Irish republic within the EU over being stuck in an isolationist little England any day of the week.

H. H. Asquith

How? What do you think organisations like People's Vote, Another Europe is possible, etc are going to do? Just disappear?

I'm a Unionist from Ulster and I'd prefer being in a 32-country Irish republic within the EU over being stuck in an isolationist little England any day of the week.

Im not saying i agree with it, but I think the british public would absolutely vote to keep leaving the EU. The only thing this entire fiasco has done is polarise people even more and the working class, northern england and conservatives are all emboldened behind brexit, some even moving towards desiring no deal.

The lib dem leaning tv snapshots of you g women and students from wealthier parts of south london are not the reality that ‘second voters’ are gunning for

Im not saying i agree with it, but I think the british public would absolutely vote to keep leaving the EU. The only thing this entire fiasco has done is polarise people even more and the working class, northern england and conservatives are all emboldened behind brexit, some even moving towards desiring no deal.

I'd say if there were any evidence at all that the UK would continue with this via another referendum then we'd have one. The disaster capitalists and nationalists know they were dammed lucky to edge the first one and now they'll do all they can to shut down the next one.

I don't want to dwell too much on it as it might veer slightly off topic but I think if Labour go down this road they can very well win. Northern England and Scotland will not vote Conservative regardless of what either of the main parties do. NI and Wales are largely irrelevant. The question is whether or not moderate and liberal Tories can stomach an authoritarian like Johnson. I suspect the answer is no.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have you not seen what has happened over the last 3+ years, so much has been revealed while they also tried to get 2 deals through?

Heres hoping for some form of parliament which allows a second vote to decide either remain or whatever deal is on the table.

Why be so paranoid about the NHS , nobody outside of conspiracy theorists has indicated anything is happening to it
    Trump actually is a conspiracy theorist so you're not entirely wrong.

But there are also people like the US Ambassador, WoodyJohnson, and indeed various reports at different levels of preparations for negotiations for US companies to get out of current pricing contracts imposed on them by NICE: NHS discussed at 'secret' trade deals with US pharmaceutical companies

And also US wants access to NHS in post-brexit deal, says ambassador to UK

Or there's Conspiracy theorist-in-chief himself who said: Trump says NHS 'must be on the table' in UK-US trade negotiations

And I'm sure you'll agree that it's not really a conspiracy theory when those planning to actually do it announce it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Even among the "ex-pats" living in Spain, there is massive Euro scepticism. They tend not to integrate or mix with locals and stay within mini English communities.

Yeah they should kick them out those non integrating migrants

weisses wrote: »
    Yeah they should kick them out those non integrating migrants

I think every holidaymaker in the world would rejoyce if they booted the brits out of spain, could you imagine how nice benidorm could be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

briany wrote: »
    If the UK took ten years to leave the EU, would that mean that the referendum was respected? All it said was about the UK leaving the EU, it didn't say when it had to happen by. If the UK stayed in the CU and SM, would the the referendum be respected? All it said was about leaving the EU, not the SM or CU as well.

I bet those who drafted the original referendum legislation are wishing they'd at least thought of a slightly more in-depth, nuanced question.

Doesn't Article 50 state two years?? The EU are giving extension after extension knowing that they are not going to offer a better deal. What exactly is the point of this, except in the hope that somehow they can get the UK to remain. The EU is deliberately stringing the UK along in the hope they get their own way.

except for the foreign healthcare workers leaving the NHS after the referendum ... Resulting in an even bigger health care crisis ....

• Advertisement

I think every holidaymaker in the world would rejoyce if they booted the brits out of spain, could you imagine how nice benidorm could be...

I would probably move over then :p

I'd say if there were any evidence at all that the UK would continue with this via another referendum then we'd have one. The disaster capitalists and nationalists know they were dammed lucky to edge the first one and now they'll do all they can to shut down the next one.

I don't want to dwell too much on it as it might veer slightly off topic but I think if Labour go down this road they can very well win. Northern England and Scotland will not vote Conservative regardless of what either of the main parties do. NI and Wales are largely irrelevant. The question is whether or not moderate and liberal Tories can stomach an authoritarian like Johnson. I suspect the answer is no.

I doubt it, the second referendum is the remoaners ‘lisbon 2’ telling people they did it wrong, go again and hoping fatigue sets in. TM’s deal was arguably pretty decent in comparisson, if people werent so busy blockading and wanting to undo democracy they could be out the door with that right now. Since that deal was put on the table it has been the remain side scuppering progress.

I think the tories have a huge issue with unlikeable leaders, funnily if farage decided to climb the ranks there in his old days , with a bit of training and polish I could absolutely see him being PM worthy material for them

Doesn't Article 50 state two years?? The EU are giving extension after extension knowing that they are not going to offer a better deal. What exactly is the point of this, except in the hope that somehow they can get the UK to remain. The EU is deliberately stringing the UK along in the hope they get their own way.

How are they stringing them along - by not saying No to them? The EU isn't forcing or even encouraging the UK to ask for these extensions. If the UK think it isn't in their best interests to get an extension, they can stop asking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

The point being made wasn't about the NHS or whether you believe the reports or not.

The point is that if you think it's ok for the referendum result to be acted out based on what the losing side said would happen and based on what the winning side called "project fear", then surely it would be equally legitimate for a Tory government to come in and dismantle the NHS because Jeremy Corbyn said they would, even if it's the opposite of what they put in their own manifesto.

I doubt it, the second referendum is the remoaners ‘lisbon 2’ telling people they did it wrong, go again and hoping fatigue sets in. TM’s deal was arguably pretty decent in comparisson, if people werent so busy blockading and wanting to undo democracy they could be out the door with that right now. Since that deal was put on the table it has been the remain side scuppering progress.

I think the tories have a huge issue with unlikeable leaders, funnily if farage decided to climb the ranks there in his old days , with a bit of training and polish I could absolutely see him being PM worthy material for them

Was it because of the remainers or the brexiteers all previous deals got blocked ?

The DUP are remainers now are they? I know you're pretty delusional but that seems hard for anyone to swallow.

volchitsa wrote: »
    The DUP are remainers now are they? I know you're pretty delusional but that seems hard for anyone to swallow.

Could have achieved the votes if remainer tories and flip flopping independents didnt sabotage them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

How is the EU stringing the UK along? Did the EU impose these extensions against the UK's will? As far as I'm aware, it was the UK who asked for more time. They could be out right now, if they really wanted to be.

Remoaners? Really?

To be honest, there's little that convinces me that I'm on the right side than people thinking that they're clever saying that.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Could have achieved the votes if remainer tories and flip flopping independents didnt sabotage them

Eh no. The ERG and the DUP are neither remainders nor flipflopping independents. You're blaming the opposition for voting against the government deal when even people within government and supporting Brexit voted against it.

Advertisement