Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kitchen flooring

Options
  • 26-10-2019 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

What are people putting on the floor in their kitchens now? We had decided but parents are saying different and trying to change minds.

Comments

What are people putting on the floor in their kitchens now? We had decided but parents are saying different and trying to change minds.

It’s your house. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Think carefully before you commit to tiles, they're cold and can be deadly when wet. Also very big job to remove if you get sick of them. I think Amtico/Karndean are great options if the budget would allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

It’s your house. Your choice.

So what would you recommend which is what I'm looking for? We know it is our choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Think carefully before you commit to tiles, they're cold and can be deadly when wet. Also very big job to remove if you get sick of them. I think Amtico/Karndean are great options if the budget would allow.

This. It’s a big regret of mine that I put tiles and not amtico. Have wood effect tiles in the kitchen, and while they’re grand, I much prefer amtico underfoot. That said, if I was putting down tiles, I’d put wood effect rather than a lighter colour.
    At the end of the day though, it’s your house, so whatever you like Is what you should get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Vinyl emits formaldehyde as well as other VOCs. Karndean has low emissions. Don't know about amtico.

You can get tiles that are not smooth which are not very slippery when wet.

You can lay a new floor over tiles if you don't mind losing a couple of inches of height in a room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We put down an AC5 laminate last year. Love it. Wouldn't change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

listermint wrote: »
    We put down an AC5 laminate last year. Love it. Wouldn't change it.
    In your kitchen? Is that an intended use for it? Laminate isn't usually intended for places where you have lots of spills, and you can't mop it the way you would tiles.

So what would you recommend which is what I'm looking for? We know it is our choice.

You said that you’d decided, so go with that!

I’ve tiled my kitchen, but that was my choice and was 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

i put down a wooden floor so that the whole open kitchen diner area flows as one
    I love the rustic look and stains do not show easily. im.very happy and no issues so far albeit only 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

We put engineered wood in our kitchen.
    Both sets of our parents thought we were mad. They grew up with vinyl or tiled kitchens.
    We love the wood and happy with our decision. Takes spills and damage well and looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I put tiles down to have a seemless flow from the halldoor into the kitchen/diner, utility and wc. Looks great but slippery as fcuk when wet. Also cold underfoot. Major plus is they're easy to clean.

Would I do it again? Don't know tbh. Had wooden floors in the last house from halldoor into kitchen and they mark, stain, chip and get ingrained dirt over time. A leaking radiator caused some of them to bulge and warp and I had to take the whole floor up and replace. Tiles are impervious to water but as I've said, coming in with wet shoes can send you flying.

It's your home and so ignore the parents (who are only trying to help I'd say) and do what YOU want!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

We're going with laminate. Got lots of good advice before choosing it too. Laminate is fine for spills, it's not good for large puddles which are left to soak in, so...don't leave large puddles unattended in your kitchen. Be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I went with vinyl planks throughout the ground floor - second option was going to be something like Amtico. More waterproof than wood, warmer and less slippy than tiles.

https://www.pergo.co.uk/en-GB/vinyl/classic-plank-optimum-click/v3107-40019_modern-coffee-oak

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Also went with laminate, have the same throughout all downstairs. V happy with it. Minor spills not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In your kitchen? Is that an intended use for it? Laminate isn't usually intended for places where you have lots of spills, and you can't mop it the way you would tiles.

He is referring to AC5 laminate which is the hardest wearing grade out of 5 grades (AC!-AC5), it stands for Abrasion Control. AC5 is designed for commercial uses so in the home it should give a lot more wear and years than AC1/2 which are designed for home use.

AFAIK it is still not water proof in any way but it will stand up to years of foot traffic. Im installing AC5 laminate soon myself in the kitchen and living room but will still have to be quick to clean up any spills. I might put a small mat near the sink as thats where most splashes of water come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭albernazj93

I'm going to put tiles and underfloor heating. They area easier to clean, not problem at all if you drop water on it, they might be cold but the underfloor heating will take care of it.

If you go for laminates, pick the ones waterproof and not only water resistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

put whatever you want, we put down solid wood parquet over under floor heating, its not the best choice nor the most efficient but to us it looks the best and we are happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

About to move into a new build in the next month or so and we've found large non slip tiles in the colour we want for the kitchen. At the end of the day as others have said it's your home therefore it's what your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Staystrong32

Ceramic tile is classical variant for kitchen floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

If you like wooden flooring then I would suggest the bamboo flooring because they are eco-friendly and inexpensive. It is easy to clean as well. On the other hand, Gray laminate could also be a good option but it becomes expensive it comes to repair. If you want a variety of colour options then go with vinyl flooring probably bright vinyl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement